Premium Member
9,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 Ram 1500 Rebel drops the crosshairs, muscles in with new snout
Autoblog
January 13, 2015
By: Chris Paukert

Off-Road Model Targets Those Who Like To Play Dirty

Emboldened by record sale and increasing market share, Ram continues to spin off derivatives of its fullsize pickup. Bowing at today's Detroit Auto Show, the 10th model based on Ram's 1500 series is the new-for-2015 Rebel, and it's designed to capture the affections of that exceedingly popular marketer's bogey, the "active lifestyle enthusiast."

Ram officials figure they've already got the hunt/fish/camp crowd all sewn up with the 1500 Outdoorsman, so the Rebel's imposing snout strikes out in a different direction in search of extreme-sports types – namely customers with dirt bikes, side-by-sides, jet-skis and other powersports toys. If that has you envisioning the Rebel as a rival to the Ford F-150 SVT Raptor, think again – "It's not an extreme, desert-racer off-road type product," says Ram boss Bob Hegbloom. If you're seeking an analog from another automaker, look to the Toyota Tundra TRD Pro and we think you'll be in the ballpark.

The Rebel's most distinctive styling element has to be its radical new grain-finish grille, which does away with Ram's longstanding crosshair motif in favor of an interlocking design that intentionally won't be for everyone. There are lighting changes, too, with black-bucket headlamps featuring LED accents and matching LED foglights. A non-functional twin-snorkel sport hood, tonneau cover with stamped logo, blacked-out taillamps and unique badges are other model telltales.

Full article is available at the link.

·
Registered
179 Posts
This has the most overdone interior I have ever seen. So much going on. "Rebel" on the seats and Ram (sorry RAM) logos on the side of the headrests, red everywhere. Ugh. It's out of hand but RAM customers will love it since they also like the overdone Laramie Longhorn.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
(Dodge) RAM has that look that reminds me of a tough old bull... that front grill looks like a bull with a hefty nose ring to boot! While I'm no Dodge/Chrysler/RAM fan by any stretch of the imagination for various (numerous) reasons, namely reliability and build quality, I must give them credit for bringing the goods in the styling department and variations of trim levels. Oh, and the onslaught of BIG motors in their RWD platforms. Kudos...

·
Registered
316 Posts
At least they are targeting different groups of customers. Many won't like it; some will.

Besides, it's better than yet another paint and decal package from another company that we favor.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Must. Resist. Urge. To. Say. Snarky. Comments!

Oh what the hey!

"Gee, I bet even Ray Charles could tell you who makes it by looking at the tailgate."

"Hey Tony, got any more ideas on where we can put RAM and REBEL logos? I'm starting to run out of spots!" - RAM Interior Designer

"Wanna take a hugely positive design theme and throw it out in favor of the ever popular 'fish-mouth' look?" - RAM Exterior Designer

"Hello Mr. Rebel, here is your ticket to the Over-styled Party, you'll be joining the entire Lexus and Toyota line-up as well as the cast of the Jersey Shore."

"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more logos! I gotta have more logos!"

·
Premium Member
9,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Meh. It wouldn't take a genius to figure out who they copied. It's a Raptor rip-off from up front.

Pass. I'd rather have the Raptor.
I bet this will cost substantially less than the Raptor. Oh, & it will be on sale sooner. :p:

Oh, and do all Ram bed-box covers look like they fit that poorly?
The bed cover does look ill-fitting & if I had one, it would probably come off when I got home from the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
I bet this will cost substantially less than the Raptor. Oh, & it will be on sale sooner. :p:
LOL! If it were a GM product, the MCE for this would show up before the GM product even went on sale. :fall:

It just seems uninspired to me. I can't quite put my finger on why, though. The Raptor cues have something to do with it.

·
Banned
943 Posts
A factory built truck for the Bro Truck poseur,this truck is kind of like like those guys who would inject themselves synthol and have all of the muscle looks,but do none of the work or have any of the muscle . GM now where is your entry?.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I think it is unique. At least it isn't a sticker job. Yes, they went over the top with the logos. It is a truck, if it serves the purpose you need or want and does it well, then it is a success for those who would buy it.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
At least they are targeting different groups of customers. Many won't like it; some will.

Besides, it's better than yet another paint and decal package from another company that we favor.
At least they did something.
Agreed. I give them credit for going beyond a sticker and a step bar with a menacing moniker.

For the truck itself, I like the brushed stainless skid plate, I like the wheels and I like the darkened headlight covers. I'm ok with the hood. Not sure on the grill yet as it's definitely different but I'm not convinced it's different for the better.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts