GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
An addition to my ever-growing and continually changing "My Ideal Lineup" threads, here is my ideal Saturn lineup for 2008.

Please feel free to post your own lineups as well!

My Saturn Lineup:
Corsa $12,000-$17,500
The new Opel Corsa as-is. The DI 1.8L is good for 175 HP. Also available on both trim levels is the DI 1600 Mightytec diesel engine good for 140 HP and 280 lbs-tq. However, on the Redline version, with standard AWD, a 200 HP DI 2.4L is the engine available. Based on the Delta II.

Astra $18,000-$25,000
Astra mostly as-is. I4 engines are the DI 2.4 for 200 HP and a DI turbo 1.8L for 260 HP. Available on both trim levels is the DI 1800 Mightytec diesel engine good for 170 HP and 300 lbs-tq. Redline version should offer 300-hp turbo 2.0 and a race-tuned suspension and minor interior and exterior changes for a more aggressive, sporty design. AWD optional on XR, standard on Redline. An A3/etc-level competitor. Based on the Delta II. All trim levels have standard hybrid and Active Fuel Management.

Sky $26,000-$33,000
Updated but evolutionary styling inside and out with a higher-quality interior. Engines are the standard 2.4L good for 200 HP and a 260 HP turbo 1.8L. Hard-top avaliable. Redline version should offer 300-hp turbo-charged 2.0L and a race-tuned suspension and minor interior and exterior changes for a more aggressive, sporty design. Based on the Kappa. XE and XR have hybrid, all three trim levels receive Active Fuel Management.

Aura $26,000-$36,000
Upcoming Aura with minor changes. Targets the TSX and Passat. XE should get a 280 HP DI 2.8L while the XR should offer a DI 3.6 good for 320-hp V6 engine, sport-tuned suspension and nicely bolstered seats. Available on both trim levels is the DI 2800 Mightytec diesel engine good for 250 HP and 400 lbs-tq. Large brakes and manual as standard, optional 6-speed auto on both XE and XR. XR is sportier with a more aggressively tuned suspension. Heavily equipped. StabiliTrak, 6 airbags, and so forth as standard equipment on the XE. Optional on XE, standard on XR are the sport-tuned suspension, infotainment center, leather seating, and so forth. AWD as an option on the XE, standard on the XR. Based on the Epsilon II. XE and XR have hybrid, all three trimlevels receive Active Fuel Management. All trim levels have standard hybrid and Active Fuel Management.

Signum $33,000-$44,000
A fullsize, AWD sedan based on the extended Epsilon II platform, the Signum is a work of art using the new Saturn design. The interior has been taken to new levels, boasting materials seen it Cadillac and Buick. This car is sporty, yet luxurious. The suspension seems to be perfectly balanced. Targets the Acura TL and RL. Base model XE has a DI 2.8L good for 280 HP, the DI 3.6L good for 320 HP standard on the XR. Available on both trim levels is the DI 2800 Mightytec diesel engine good for 250 HP and 400 lbs-tq. All trim levels have standard hybrid and Active Fuel Management.

Vue $27,000-$39,000
The PreVue as-is (3-dr and 5-dr). The engines are a 200 HP DI 2.4L on the XE, the XR getting a 280 HP DI 2.8L. Available on both trim levels is the DI 2800 Mightytec diesel engine good for 250 HP and 400 lbs-tq. Redline version should offer 320-hp DI 3.6L engine and a sport-tuned suspension and minor interior and exterior changes for a more aggressive, sporty design. Should target Acura's RDX. Based on the Theta. XE and XR have hybrid, all three trim levels receive Active Fuel Management.

Outlook $30,000-$45,000
Based off the Lambda platform, this is almost exactly as-is. DI 2.8L good for for 280 HP on the XE, while the XR recieves the DI 3.6L good for 320 HP. Available on both trim levels is the DI 2800 Mightytec diesel engine good for 250 HP and 400 lbs-tq. Should target VW's Touareg, the MDX, and other 7- and 8-passanger crossovers. Based on the Lambda. All trim levels have standard hybrid and Active Fuel Management.

Engines Employed:
----------------------------------------
V6's:
DI Aluminum DOHC 3.6's:: 3
DI Aluminum DOHC 2.8's:: 4

I4's:
DI Turbo Ecotec 2.0's: 2
DI Turbo Ecotec 1.8's: 3
DI Ecotec 1.6's:
DI Ecotec 1.8's: 1
DI Ecotec 2.4's: 3

Diesel's:
DI Mightytec 1600's: 1
DI Mightytec 1800's: 1
DI Mightytec 2800's: 4

Platforms Employed:
----------------------------------------
Kappa's:
Delta II's:
Epsilon II's:
Lambda's:
Theta's:

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Re: My Ideal Saturn Lineup

AmericanRevolution said:
An addition to my ever-growing and continually changing "My Ideal Lineup" threads, here is my ideal Saturn lineup.

Vue
Heavily modified Trailblazer with completely designed interior and exterior, riding softer, far classier, smoother engine, quiety and silkier cabin that says luxury. Luxury version (any ideas for names?) should offer a 350/375-hp V8 engine that is smoother, a cabin that is more refined and classy, quiety and silkier, and a suspension that rides softer. Also, more standard equipement. Should target VW's Touareg.

No minivans for Heavens sake!
no, not the trailblazer. enogh of the trailblazers. keep the theta platform.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: My Ideal Saturn Lineup

driverblogger said:
no, not the trailblazer. enogh of the trailblazers. keep the theta platform.
Ok, so Theta it is...

·
Registered
360 Posts
Re: My Ideal Saturn Lineup (Update 1)

AmericanRevolution said:
An addition to my ever-growing and continually changing "My Ideal Lineup" threads, here is my ideal Saturn lineup.

Sky
Exactly as-is. Redline version should offer 300-hp turbo-changed engine and a taunter and lower riding suspension.

Aura
Exactly as-is. Redline version should offer 350-hp turbo-changed V6 engine and a taunter and lower riding suspension. Luxury version (any ideas for names?) should offer a 300-hp V6 engine that is smoother, a cabin that is more refined and classy, quiety and silkier, and a suspension that rides softer. Also, more standard equipement.

Curve
Exactly as-is. Redline version should offer 350-hp turbo-changed V6 engine and a taunter and lower riding suspension.

Ring
Saturn's Astra that is classier and more luxury-oriented interior, a quieter and smoother ride, and a softer suspension. Redline version should offer 275/300-hp turbo-changed I5 engine and a taunter and lower riding suspension. Luxury version (any ideas for names?) should offer a 250/275-hp I5 engine that is smoother, a cabin that is more refined and classy, quiety and silkier, and a suspension that rides softer. Also, more standard equipement.

Vue
Heavily modified Theta platform with completely redesigned interior and exterior, riding softer, far classier, smoother engine, quiety and silkier cabin that says luxury. V6 and V8 options. Luxury version (any ideas for names?) should offer a 350/375-hp V8 engine. Also, more standard equipement. Should target VW's Touareg.

Storm
A mid-engine NSX-level competitor, this car is extremely sporty. With 350 hp from the V6 (Redline pumps out nearly 400hp), this car is extremely quick. A taunt suspension helps it corner like a sports car.

No minivans for Heavens sake!
sky-couldnt have said it better myself. edit: 200 instead of 170-hp 2.4 as base. then 225 hp version. then 300.

aura-should have v8. its a flagship sedan, of course.

curve-whats the point? the sky looks better, reflects saturns new design profile better, and its basically the same, except that its a roadster. if you want a saturn 2 seater coupe, just make a sky coupe.

ion-i dont like the "ring" name. sorry. should defintly be rebadged astra with 150, 200, and 300-hp versions. mostly same interior. 2.2 liter making 150. 2.4 making 200, with awd. 2.6/2.7 t-charged 1-5 making 300 hp. done.

vue-still on theta, but with new exterior and interior design. much different from theta siblings. nicer interior, different engines. have base engine 2.4 ecotec w/175 hp. then keep v6 as 250 hp honda. redline should be 350 hp northstar, or if thats too much 300-325 hp forced induction honda v6.

saturn crossover-7 seat luxury crossover, designed to compete with ford freestyle/chrysler pacifica. built on lambda. use 2.8 liter v6 for base engine, vue v6 for next engine. redline version would be stupid.

saturn signal-2.8 insted of really heavy 3.5 liter as 215-hp v6 engine. 2.2 as base. redline with turbocharge 2.8 making 280 hp. should compete with mazda6.

storm-a little too extreme for now, id say. maybe when saturn is respected.

·
Registered
394 Posts

I still think GM is making a bad choice by attempting to turn Saturn's image around a full 180 degrees. The Vue is a vehicle commonly associated with, rightly or otherwise, a poor design and build. Not to mention a rough engine, until the brand gave up and borrowed a much better one from what was supposed to be its direct competitor.
Don't you think people would take a new Vue more seriously as a competitor for the Honda Element or Scion xB than a $40,000 luxury vehicle built alongside Porsches?

Remember what Saturn is, people. I'm not saying Saturn can't be turned into a near-luxury sports brand, I'm saying it shouldn't. These sorts of cars could be better off with Buick or Pontiac, brands which are both in dire lack of products that have what they need, well-executed semi-luxury and performance, respectively.

Saturn needs to find its purpose within the persona, and more importantly, price range, it has already created for itself.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts

just keep the Ion the Ion but with the Astra look. It seems to be with the Ion having the number one customer loyalty in the small car segment you shouldn't ditch the name. I agree about the curve being pointless with the sky. With the relay being my favorite of the 4 minivans I wouldn't feel good about ditching it but I understand why you wouldn't want one in the lineup.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Gone is the Curve and changed is the Ion... :D

The Relay is still gone (yes, I agree it looks the best, but I also feel Chevy/GMC should hold the fort down when it comes to the vans...) and the Storm is still there, obviously as a more limited-production car though...

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: My Ideal Saturn Lineup (Update 2)

Saturn Myst added! (And, yes, I know it's spelled differently, just like some companies spell Spider Spyder... ;))

·
Registered
394 Posts

Your thought baffles me completely. I find it totally inane that you choose to ignore everything of consequence relating to Saturn, spare some flashbang concepts that came out last month.

Did you read my post above at all, or did you just choose to ignore it?

Use your head, boy!

Do you honestly think people will want a $60,000 luxury sedan, built to compete directly with one of the most respected manufacturers on the planet, from the same people who pumped out this plastic rattletrap a mere ten years ago?

Why not give your Myst to Cadillac, Buick, or even Pontiac? Why do you think Saturn NEEDS a 400 HP luxury sedan that will cost 5 times as much as the college tuition of the average Saturn buyer?

Get real.

·
Registered
360 Posts

Wefakr said:
Your thought baffles me completely. I find it totally inane that you choose to ignore everything of consequence relating to Saturn, spare some flashbang concepts that came out last month.

Use your head, boy!

Do you honestly think people will want a $60,000 luxury sedan, built to compete directly with one of the most respected manufacturers on the planet, from the same people who pumped out this plastic rattletrap a mere ten years ago?

Why not give your Myst to Cadillac, Buick, or even Pontiac? Why do you think Saturn NEEDS a 400 HP luxury sedan that will cost 5 times as much as the college tuition of the average Saturn buyer?

Get real.
thank you. why would gm want 3 luxury sedans in the same class? the gm lineup is already too crowded. no saturn should go above 320 hp. i see saturns main competitors as honda and mazda. they dont have to have 440 hp luxury sedans to be respected. 440 is sts-v territory! your ideal lineups are certainly ideal (as in they will never happen) but they should be realistic too.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

crazeeman said:
thank you. why would gm want 3 luxury sedans in the same class? the gm lineup is already too crowded. no saturn should go above 320 hp. i see saturns main competitors as honda and mazda. they dont have to have 440 hp luxury sedans to be respected. 440 is sts-v territory! your ideal lineups are certainly ideal (as in they will never happen) but they should be realistic too.
Wefakr said:

Use your head, boy!

Get real.
Ok, Ok, sorry that I somehow apparently offended you guys. I was just havin some fun, no need for flaming... the Myst is gone now, happy?

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: My Ideal Saturn Lineup (Update 3)

Ok, I've reconsidered and decided to add the Relay back into the lineup w/ more luxury and more powerful engines... :)

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Bump for views/comments...

·
Registered
3,777 Posts

Looks great so far, however look at some of the Opel models next time because Saturn is turning into a North American Opel, so I suggest that you familiarize yourself with the Opel models and then incorporating them into your lineup (such as Corsa, Meriva, Zafira, Vivaro, Tigra, etc.)

·
Registered
4,227 Posts

AmericanRevolution said:

Ion
Saturn's Astra that is classier and more luxury-oriented interior, a quieter and smoother ride, and a softer suspension. Redline version should offer 275/300-hp turbo-changed I5 engine and a taunter and lower riding suspension. Luxury version (any ideas for names?) should offer a 250/275-hp I5 engine that is smoother, a cabin that is more refined and classy, quiety and silkier, and a suspension that rides softer. Also, more standard equipement. An RSX-type competitor.

Vue
Heavily modified Theta platform with completely redesigned interior and exterior, riding softer, far classier, smoother engine, quiety and silkier cabin that says luxury. V6 and V8 options. Luxury version (any ideas for names?) should offer a 350/375-hp V8 engine. Also, more standard equipement. Should target VW's Touareg.
The 2007 ION will basically be an Opel Astra. :D

Keep the VUE on Theta, just put it on the extended Theta (Nox/Torrent) and a more powerful V6 but no V8. It will be redesigned in '08 so I'll wait and see.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: My Ideal Saturn Lineup (Update 4)

Some minor changes to every model, including prices.

·
Registered
44,160 Posts

AmericanRevolution said:
Sky $21,000-$30,000
Exactly as-is. Redline version should offer 300-hp turbo-changed engine and a race-tuned suspension and minor interior and exterior changes for a more aggressive, sporty design.
Price starts at aroudn $25,000. 300HP is too mcuh for Redline. Possibly 250HP is realistic.

AmericanRevolution said:
Aura $25,000-$36,000
Exactly as-is. Redline version should offer 350-hp turbo-changed V6 engine and a race-tuned suspension and minor interior and exterior changes for a more aggressive, sporty design. Luxury version (any ideas for names?) should offer a 300-hp V6 engine that is smoother, a cabin that is more refined and classy, quiety and silkier, and a suspension that rides softer. Also, more standard equipement. An Acura RL-level competitor.
Competitor will be Passat... not RL (which competes with STS).
base engine should be about 200HP. mid-level V6 at 255. Redline shuld be near 300.

AmericanRevolution said:
Ion $22,000-$32,000
Saturn's Astra that is classier and more luxury-oriented interior, a quieter and smoother ride, and a softer suspension. Redline version should offer 275-hp turbo I5 engine and a race-tuned suspension and minor interior and exterior changes for a more aggressive, sporty design. An RSX-level competitor.
Price too high. $18,000 base is more realistic. base engine should be a 170HP EcoTec. Redline should be a Turbo Ecotec at 250.

AmericanRevolution said:
Vue $48,000-$60,000
Touareg is a good target point for VUE. unfortunately... not at that price, and not on Theta. Touareg starts at $31K and ramps to $55K.
VUE should remain as is with a similar price point... but upgraded. Better than Torrent or 'Nox. but not as good a BRX or 9-4X.

AmericanRevolution said:
Storm $60,000-$71,000
A mid-engine NSX-level competitor, this car is extremely sporty. With 350 hp from the V6 (Redline pumps out nearly 400hp plus a race-tuned suspension and minor interior and exterior changes for a more aggressive, sporty design), this car is extremely quick. A stiff suspension setup helps it corner like a sports car.
Not needed.

AmericanRevolution said:
Relay $26,000-$36,000
A sleeker design with more luxury, comfort, safety, features, compartments, and more powerful engines. Should go against the Chrysler Town & Country.
Kill Relay.
Outlook should be Touareg competitor... w/o off roading capabilities of Touareg. $33-48K.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: My/Your Ideal Saturn Lineup (Update 5)

Alright, it's been streamlined, prices readjusted, but the Storm remains, as, in my view anyway, Saturn is set to take on Acura, VW, and the lower end of Lexus. The Storm would deal with the NSX.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts

mgescuro said:
Price starts at aroudn $25,000. 300HP is too mcuh for Redline. Possibly 250HP is realistic.

Competitor will be Passat... not RL (which competes with STS).
base engine should be about 200HP. mid-level V6 at 255. Redline shuld be near 300.

Price too high. $18,000 base is more realistic. base engine should be a 170HP EcoTec. Redline should be a Turbo Ecotec at 250.

Touareg is a good target point for VUE. unfortunately... not at that price, and not on Theta. Touareg starts at $31K and ramps to $55K.
VUE should remain as is with a similar price point... but upgraded. Better than Torrent or 'Nox. but not as good a BRX or 9-4X.

Not needed.

Kill Relay.
Outlook should be Touareg competitor... w/o off roading capabilities of Touareg. $33-48K.
I like your changes. That for the most part would be my ideal Saturn line-up.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts