GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Ideal GMC Lineup 2.0​

Feedback, Thoughts Wanted!

If you've seen the other threads, you know the M.O. Here's my lineup, go ahead and post yours.

Stormer $21,995-$29,950
Platform: Alpha
Engine: 250 HP Turbo 1.8L, 300 HP Turbo 2.0L
You did not read that incorrectly. This is a rear drive, unibody GMC. Named the Stormer, think of it as a mix of the Chevrolet Borrego, Nissan Juke, and Mini Countryman in that it's a strange mix of offroadability, small size, unibody platform, and on-road performance. This compact two-door, four-seater crossover offers a decent ride-height for offroad, heavy-duty suspension, and all-season tires. However, the suspension is adjustable and can be tuned at the push of a button for a lower, tighter ride so that it can handle the corners with better results. Very much a nitch vehicle, but one with enough style, quirkiness, and fun that it should be a hit with the younger crowd.

Terrain $25,990-$35,490
Platform: Theta II
Engine: 185 HP 2.5L, 250 HP turbo 1.8L, 360 HP 3.6L HO, 2.5L/Electric Hybrid
Redesigned inside and out, it still offers a truck-like design, but one that isn't so weird. Meanwhile, the interior gets a bump in quality, and a more fitting, less Pontiac-like interior design. A high amount of standard features, and plenty of optional features, help put this vehicle in a more premium setting, targeting the likes of the Q3 and RDX. And as great as the regular Terrain is, the Denali amps things up even more with features and luxury.

Granite $23,800-$33,250
Platform: Theta II
Engine: 185 HP 2.5L, 250 HP turbo 1.8L, 2.5L/Electric Hybrid
The Granite concept pretty much as-is.

Acadia $33,950-$48,890
Platform: Lambda II
Engine: 330 HP 3.6L, 3.0L/Electric Hybrid
The Acadia gets an evolutionary design, but one that trends more towards the truck end of the design spectrum. The interior gets huge improvements in quality, while the design itself isn't completely reworks but does get meaningful improvements. Standard features load this vehicle up as it targets such vehicles as the MDX with ease. AWD is standard. The Denali adds even more luxury and features.

Yukon $44,900-$55,200
Platform: GMT-950
Engine: 420 HP 5.3L, 465 HP 5.7L, 320 HP/680 TQ Turbo Diesel 6.0L, 5.3L/Electric Hybrid
The Yukon ups the ante with tremendous standard features and heaps of luxury. Power reclining and folding middle and third row seats, heated and cooled seats in all rows, adjustable suspension focused more towards luxury comfort over offroad capabilities, as well as leather-wrapped dash are among the massive amounts of standard features setting this vehicle apart from its competition. And with major changes to its interior and exterior design, it is clearly different that its Chevrolet brethren. Although some of the good things from the Chevrolet do migrate over, such as improved interior packaging for more space and comfort for occupants in all rows, as well as more space for all the gear. The Denali takes the luxury quotient even higher.

Yukon XL $45,500-$59,600
Platform: GMT-950 HD
Engine: 420 HP 5.3L, 465 HP 5.7L, 320 HP/680 TQ Turbo Diesel 6.0L, 5.3L/Electric Hybrid
The XL is essentially an extended version of the Yukon. It's improvements are the same. The Denali is the same as the standard-size Yukon as well.

Canyon $20,950-$32,450
Platform: GMT-450
Engine: 185 HP 2.5L, 250 HP turbo 1.8L, 300 HP 3.0L, 200 HP/300 TQ Diesel 2.3L
The up-market compact truck, by GMC. While the Canyon offers real work capability, it also coddles its occupants with luxury and features. After all, what's wrong with enjoying sumptuous heated and cooled leather seats while playing with the MyLink system while hauling around equipment? And while the suspension is able to handle plenty of work, it is oriented more towards a luxurious, comfortable ride in comparison to the Chevrolet. A high-end interior is standard, however you can opt for a workmans interior, which replaces the luxurious interior with rubber floors, spill-resistant cloth seats, and a durable plastic dash. While it shares the same platform, it will never be mistaken for a Chevrolet Colorado.

Jimmy $15,900-$27,900
Platform: GMT-450
Engine: 200 HP/300 TQ Diesel 2.3L
The Jimmy is revived, thoroughly redone and improved. Its focus, unlike most other GMC's, is pure offroad credibility. Where the Wrangler-fighting Hummer concept left off, the Jimmy picks up. Offered in two and four door trim with removable hard and softtops, it offers true GMC style with Wrangler-fighting offroad capabilities.

Sierra $29,900-$58,200
Platform: GMT-950/GMT-950 HD
Engine: 420 HP 5.3L, 465 HP 5.7L, 500 HP 6.3L, 320 HP/680 TQ Turbo Diesel 6.0L, 400 HP/950 TQ Turbo Diesel 6.8L, 5.3L/Electric Hybrid
Similar to the Canyon, the Sierra offers tremendous amounts of luxury, features, and capabilities unmatched by its competition. Featuring a larger overall size and completely fresh interior and exterior designs from its Chevrolet sibling, this GMC targets vehicles such as the F-350 King Ranch. Leather wrapped dash, 250 gig MyLink system, heated/cooled/massaging seats front and back are among just a few of the many standard features loading this luxury work truck up. And like the Yukon, its suspension, while heavy-duty and capable, offers a softer, more luxurious ride than the Silverado. Denali only dials that up more.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
GMC Engine Lineup
  • Ecotec 2.5L (3)
    GMC Terrain​
    GMC Granite​
    GMC Canyon​
  • Ecotec 1.8t (4)
    GMC Stormer​
    GMC Terrain​
    GMC Granite​
    GMC Canyon​
  • Ecotec 2.0t (1)
    GMC Stormer​
  • Mightytec 2.3TD (2)
    GMC Canyon​
    GMC Jimmy​
  • LFW2 3.0 (1)
    GMC Canyon​
  • LFX2 3.6 (2)
    GMC Acadia​
  • LFX2 HO 3.6 (2)
    GMC Terrain​
  • LX1 5.3 (3)
    GMC Yukon​
    GMC Yukon XL​
    GMC Sierra​
  • LX2 5.7 (3)
    GMC Yukon​
    GMC Yukon XL​
    GMC Sierra​
  • LX3 6.3 (1)
    GMC Sierra​
  • Duramax 6.0TD (3)
    GMC Yukon​
    GMC Yukon XL​
    GMC Sierra​
  • Duramax 6.8TD (1)
    GMC Sierra HD​

GMC Platform Lineup
  • Alpha (1)
    GMC Stormer​
  • Theta II (2)
    GMC Terrain​
    GMC Granite​
  • Lambda II (1)
    GMC Acadia​
  • GMT-450 (2)
    GMC Canyon​
    GMC Jimmy​
  • GMT-950 (2)
    GMC Yukon​
    GMC Sierra​
  • GMT-950 HD (2)
    GMC Sierra HD​
    GMC Yukon XL​

·
Registered
11,998 Posts
"Jimmy"- A new compact truck meant to compete with the Wrangler and company, but probably better furnished and more like what a production Hummer H-X would've been.

Terrain- Would prefer a small trucklet type of entry GMC SUV, but with the Terrain's strong sales I'd settle for the 2G Terrain gaining a driver selectable mode similar to what Ford's done with the Explorer. As for the current Terrain, it's about as good as it gets. For a 2013 facelift, a new pair of engines should be offered. I vote for the 2.5L to replace the 2.4L and either the LFX or the 2.0T to replace the underwhelming but smooth V-6. An eAssist package pulled from the new Malibu Eco might not be a bad idea either. Add a Denali trim and some updated exterior, interior components to keep it strong next to the new Escape and the like. Done. Simple as that.

Acadia- 2G Acadia should be like the 2G Terrain. The LFX will be the engine of choice and it could continue to separate itself from the Chevy kin in style (inside and out). The Denali really ought to have its own, unique engine as well.

"Envoy"- If the Trailblazer comes to North America, it ought to go to GMC as well, if not before Chevy even gets it. GMC styling and a GMC grade interior are necessary, however. The LFX or a competitive V-6 from the GMT900 replacements would be a good fit along with a V-8 option if we may be so bold. An Envoy Denali would be fun. How about a Typhoon? A full blown off-road variant akin to what the SVT Raptor is to the F-150 line would be very GMC-ish, or at least something they ought to pursue.

Yukon/XL- New as intended. A "Yukon Raptor" would again be cool. The Denali needs to kick it up a notch with this generation. It should be off-road capable enough yet luxurious and powerful enough to take down the Land Cruiser or a Patrol.

"Canyon"- GMC-nosed version of the new Colorado. A base gas I-4 and V-6 with a diesel wraps that up nicely.

Sierra- All identical to what I said for the Yukon. The Sierra Denali has its work cut out for it competing with the King Ranch, Longhorn, etc.

·
Banned
694 Posts
I know this opinion isn't popular here but my answer would be None. Ford bets their entire company and future essentially on their truck sales as well as suv. Chevrolet should be given the goods to compete directly with Ford. It makes no sense to me to give the goods to your lower volume brand in such a highly competitive segment. There's no doubt in my mind had the Sierra body gone to Chevrolet instead and been given a high trim option like my King Ranch or even a Platinum, Chevrolet trucks alone would have outsold Ford trucks this last go round. Same goes for the Acadia/Traverse. I really do think GM is shooting themselves in the foot longterm by hurting Chevrolet's truck image like they've been. And GMC is the sole reason they do that. It just drives more people to the Ford brand as a whole.

Straight axle and invisible frame aside, my King Ranch Super Duty wouldn't be sitting in my driveway right now if there were a Silverado that could compete with it in terms of style, luxury and off road ruggedness. I'd much prefer a Chevrolet instead but they don't make trucks like this unfortunately. When it comes to trucks it's Blue Oval or Bowtie for me. Nothing else will suffice.

I'm in the 'Fold GMC into Buick and Chevrolet' camp. Trucks would come from a Chevy Industrial division in all sorts of makes/models (small trucks, large trucks, Really large trucks, SUV's, Off Roader's, Racing and all. Produced with all sorts of trim options from bare bones to premium luxury. These could then be sold through Cadillac and Buick dealers as well as Chevrolet of course. This would cripple Ford badly. Give everything else to Buick to expand their portfolio. 3 solid brands is all that's needed here.

·
Super Moderator
21,407 Posts
Give me a new Envoy Denali with an 4200 SIDI Twin Turbo and I'd really wet myself.

·
Registered
541 Posts
My ideal GMC lineup is solely focused on a new Sierra HD...I hope they surprise the h-e-double hockey sticks out of me and bring the new design out in 6 months instead of in early to mid 2013.:fall:

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
My ideal GMC lineup is solely focused on a new Sierra HD...I hope they surprise the h-e-double hockey sticks out of me and bring the new design out in 6 months instead of in early to mid 2013.:fall:
Same here. Trucks need to become more truckier, with an amazing interior or else I'm buying a Ford.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got mine updated, sorry for the delay - I got busy last night before I could post it after I got the thread up. Anyway, hope ya like it!

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some minor engine updates.

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
Good stuff. The Stormer sounds like a nice idea.

The Jimmy sounds great too. Although I would rather it be more of a Land Rover Defender type vehicle. In fact, I would like to match the Defender version for version. And I would like to see it become the centerpiece of GMC's lineup.

My Jimmy would be ruggedly styled (think purposeful and adult-oriented--modern; but not as excessive as something like the Hummer HX or H2), and offer greater off-road capability. It would spearhead GMC's international expansion, and bring meaning back to GMC's so-called "Professional Grade" slogan. Some might find absolutely no use for it, but everyone would respect it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
GM should completely eliminate the GMC line and make only Chevy trucks. GMC is a waste of money for the extra tooling and marketing for the same truck. Saying the GMC and Chevy trucks are different isn't fooling anyone.

GM should take the money they would save and put some additional cutting edge design and engineering investment into the Chevy truck line. Make one really great truck instead of two halfway ok trucks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts