GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Post your ideal Buick lineup here too!

NOTE: In My Ideal Buick Lineup, Northstar powerplants have been moved out of Cadillac and have been upgraded to the Northstar II ("NII"). Thus, all V8's are either Northstar or Wildcat's (it'll say which)... also, Buick moves to become a premium luxury automaker among the lines of low/middle range Caddy and Lexus... comfort, luxury, style, safety, reliability, luxury, power, prestige...

My Buick Lineup:
Riviera $51,000-$64,000
Based on the Zeta platform. Riviera concept design as-is powered by a DI NII 4.8 V8 powered (425 hp.) Extremely refined, with classy performance (think Continental GT). A burbling, but fairly subdued exhaust note, with the purring engine tune that car barely be heard inside.
Grand Tourer version should offer a taut suspension in which you can feel the communication through, while power comes from a DI 5.0L NII V8 good for 500 HP, lighter material, and an exhaust note and engine roar a bit louder.
The Majestic (luxury version) would make the car smoother riding, more luxurious, quieter in the cabit, more plush, and all out more luxurious in every way. Gets the DI 5.0L NII. RWD, optional AWD.

Grand National $53,000-$55,000
Based on the Alpha platform, this midsize coupe is truly a sport coupe by Buick. Offering a DI 450-hp LS3, it also has a taut suspension and heavy-duty Brembo brakes mixed with light-weight materials leading to as amazing performer. RWD, optional AWD.

Electra $32,000-$43,000
Based on the Alpha platform, A nice, sporty yet luxurious coupe that is a step down in size from the Riviera, while being more athletic and offering a sportier design. Standard V6 ranging from is the 320 hp DI 3.6, with a supercharged DI 3.6 offering up 380 HP.
Grand Sport trim will drop a DI NII 4.8L V8 good for 425 HP into this car, as well as a taunter suspension, and a bit of performance trim. The engine, being a Wildcat, holds back nothing in power and growl.
The Majestic would make the car smoother riding, more luxurious, quieter in the cabit, more plush, and all out more luxurious in every way. RWD, optional AWD. Gets the 425 HP DI NII 4.8L.

Roadmaster $66,000-$80,000
Based on the Zeta platform. A large, four-door luxury sedan with Buick-like dramatic exterior design and interior, learning from the Riviera that aims to attract younger, wealthier clientele. Standard Northstar II 4.8 V8 that purs and is ready to unleash a hurt on anyone that dares to doubt it (425 hp). RWD, optional AWD. Tons of darker wood used in this luxury-oriented interior.
The Majestic would make the car smoother riding, more luxurious, quieter in the cabit, more plush, and all out more luxurious in every way.

Invicta $37,000-$48,000
Based on a stretched Epsilon II platform. A large midsized, four-door luxury sedan with Buick-like dramatic exterior design aimed at Lexus' GS in size and clientele. Standard engine is a DI 3.6L good for 320 HP.
Grand Sport version would get a supercharged DI 3.6 V6 pumping out the 380 hp, along with larger brakes and a tighter suspension. Interior gains a sportier appear, too, with the likes of performance seats and aluminum trim. Standard AWD.
The Majestic would make the car smoother riding, more luxurious, quieter in the cabit, more plush, and all out more luxurious in every way, as well as the addition of a 425 HP DI NII 4.8 V8.

Vectra $27,000-$38,000
Based on the Epsilon platform. The Vectra slots below the Invicta in the sedan category, and is more entry-level, offering standard DI 2.8L V6 with 260 HP aimed at Lexus' ES class. FWD, optional AWD. Very Buick-like interior: Clean, elegant, simple, but stylish. A true Buick sedan.
Grand Sport version would get a DI 3.6 V6 pumping out the 320 hp, along with larger brakes and a tighter suspension. Interior gains a sportier appear, too, with the likes of performance seats and aluminum trim. Standard AWD.
The Majestic would make the car smoother riding, more luxurious, quieter in the cabit, more plush, and all out more luxurious in every way. Powered by a DI 3.6 with 320 HP and standard AWD.

Enclave $36,000-$50,000
Based on the Lambda platform. Enclave exterior as-is with an upgraded interior. Power comes from a DI 3.6 good for 320 HP, while a supercharged DI 3.6L pumps out 380 HP.
The Majestic would make the car smoother riding, more luxurious, quieter in the cabit, more plush, and all out more luxurious in every way.

Engines Employed:
----------------------------------------
V8's:
DI Northstar II 4.8's: 4
DI Northstar II 5.0's: 1
DI LS3's: 1

V6's:
Aluminum DOHC DI 3.6's:: 4
Aluminum DOHC DI S/C 3.6's:: 3
Aluminum DOHC DI 2.8's:: 1

Platforms Employed:
----------------------------------------
Epsilon II's: 2
Zeta's: 2
Alpha's: 2
Lambda's: 1

Compare to My Ideal Cadillac Lineup

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Re: My Ideal Buick Lineup

Okay, I know I'm not going to be liked by many people here for saying this comment but...here it goes... I DO NOT think Grand National would be a good name for the production version of the Velite concept. I understand why it is such a revered name but many here, but that is not the point. Being of the younger generation and looking at it from the average consumer’s standpoint I don't see it portraying the image that NEEDS to be portrayed. And it definitely does not fit in line with the recent naming scheme that is intended to evoke luxuriousness. Personally I think it would be a huge marketing mistake if GM used the Grand National name.

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
Re: My Ideal Buick Lineup

the velite concept didnt look that good and it sat way too high. I wouldnt have most of the cars have 450 to 500HP/ maybe just the grand national and Regal . The rest is just wayy too much horsepower for the old people

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: My Ideal Buick Lineup (Update 1)

Alright, the velite-based/designed cars are gone... Updated!

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: My Ideal Buick Lineup (Update 2)

Added a sedan that slots in below the Park Avenue to take the place of the Lucerne concept. I don't like that name on a car as it reminds me of milk... the milk Safeway carries so much of and I drink... Yikes! A Buick named after milk... lol! Also, added the name for the "luxury" version...

·
Registered
360 Posts

buick should continue selling cars for old people, except one or two cool ones.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

crazeeman said:
buick should continue selling cars for old people, except one or two cool ones.
I disagree, Buick would have no future if they focused on just the elderly... people don't wanna be seeing in "their fathers Buick" or "their grandpa's Buick" They wanna be seen in something different usually... Buick needs to get back on track w/ building awesome, powerful, luxurious cars like they use to...

·
Registered
449 Posts

I wonder what the old people will drive, since the automakers seem to be running away from them these days :p

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

s113 said:
I wonder what the old people will drive, since the automakers seem to be running away from them these days :p
Well, you know, they don't always have to buy "olds peoples" cars... my Buick lineup would address them, while also bringing in younger people...

Lots of luxury, comfort, not to aggressive (yet style Buick stylish...), while having plenty of power...

·
Registered
2,881 Posts

The Riviera should be a large coupe, similar to the BMW 6 in size and presence, and the Regal and GN should be sharing the same platform, but instead making the Regal a sedan and GN a coupe. There should be a sedan under the Royal you brought up, and the Regal should be that sedan, with a GN stablemate as a coupe with more power, the famous X indicating the most powerful version. The Riviera being a smaller coupe in the line doesn't mesh with its "Ferrari-Rolls Royce" origins.

Give the Royal the LeSabre name, since it has a great history and more meaning than the Royal name.

·
Registered
452 Posts

Ok, I won't go into as much detail as I did with the Chevy lineup, but I think Buick would better sell as a Lexus/Infiniti/Acura fighter, using Cadillac V6's and only have one or two vehicles using V8's and RWD. I would also use the Aurora V8 (Oldsmobile Northstar) only stroke it to 4.2 or 4.3 liters. I'd also try to make at least 320 HP out of it. Also for the high performance models, I'd use the TT3.6. That's my .02.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: My Ideal Buick Lineup (Update 3)

A new sedan has been added called the Royal, going below the LeSabre as a near-entry-level luxury sedan. Other models have recieved some changes.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts

Problem: Riviera still wrong. There should be no coupe in the lineup less "grand" than it. It should be the biggest, and most luxurious coupe in the entire line.

You're talking to a big fan of the Riviera, and it ain't a smaller sport coupe.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Would a name-swap between Riviera and Regal be good?

·
Registered
394 Posts

AmericanRevolution said:
Buick needs to get back on track w/ building awesome, powerful, luxurious cars like they use to...
That would contradict Cadillac's purpose. They're the ones who should be pumping out luxury sports sedans.
Buick should take up where 90's Cadillacs left off. As well as offering decent near-luxury sedans (similar to the current LeSabre and former Regal, but not such poor products), they should offer true luxury cars that don't pretend to sporty. I'd like them to build a car to compete with the LS430 and Town Car. Maybe even something FWD. If I was Lutz, the DTS would have definitely been a Buick. The President would be riding in something RWD.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Wefakr said:
That would contradict Cadillac's purpose. They're the ones who should be pumping out luxury sports sedans.
Buick should take up where 90's Cadillacs left off. As well as offering decent near-luxury sedans (similar to the current LeSabre and former Regal, but not such poor products), they should offer true luxury cars that don't pretend to sporty. I'd like them to build a car to compete with the LS430 and Town Car. Maybe even something FWD. If I was Lutz, the DTS would have definitely been a Buick. The President would be riding in something RWD.
Not saying build sports sedans... but be like it use to, like Caddy... luxurious cars with seemingly endless power... very comfortable, luxurious, simple, elegant, quiet, soft-riding...

·
Registered
452 Posts

OK, one more time, I'm throwing my mix into the hat. I think this would place them squarely in Infiniti/Lexus territory, only at cheaper prices.

LeSabre
Redesign, large Kappa. Hatchback LeSabre5 version.
GS: 2.8 215 HP/FWD/$22k

Lacrosse
Small Zeta or Beta (I believe smaller Zeta) platform car.
GS: 3.2 245 HP/RWD/$25k

Lucerne
Larger than Lacrosse, about a current Grand Prix/Impala size car also on Zeta.
GS: 3.6 280 HP/RWD/AWD/$29k
GNX: 4.6 330 HP/RWD/AWD/$33k

Rainer
Redesign with new Buick styling, and portholes.
GS: 3.6 280 HP/RWD/AWD/$40k
GNX: 4.6 330 HP/RWD/AWD/$44k

Rendezvous
Redesign, Equinox platform.
GS: 3.6 260 HP/RWD/AWD/$35k

Riviera
Full size Buick, made on Sigma platform.
GS: 4.6 330 HP/RWD/AWD/$37k

Wildcat
Corvette based Buick. The inspiration for Corvette.
GS: 5.0 Northstar II 375 HP/RWD/AWD/$50k
GNX: 5.0 SC 610 HP/RWD/AWD/$68k

All of these undercut Lexus and Infiniti by a bit, however if the new Velite styling theme is implemented, and the new "high tech" engines were added, it would elevate Buick to where Cadillac was before the CTS.

Edit:Lowered prices to more closely match current price range, instead of immediately jumpin into Infiniti/Lexus price range. Altered Northstar II, and kept current Northstar. Minor HP increases

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: My Ideal Buick Lineup (Update 4)

I've made some minor changes to each model, as well as added the Rainer. Unless there's demand, no Roadmaster wagon.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts