GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Re: My/Your Ideal 'GM-I' Lineup: GM-Integrated: BPGmc ± ?

This is an interesting take on what GM can do to cut down the overlapping models. But, (not saying my idea is better than yours) using my idea of keeping the brands the same, just reducing the number of models within each cost little to nothing.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts

This is an interesting take on what GM can do to cut down the overlapping models. But, (not saying my idea is better than yours) using my idea of keeping the brands the same, just reducing the number of models within each cost little to nothing.
That is what I think should be done as well, but the problem is when all but Chevy and Cadillac become niche brands with only 2 or 3 models, how do the dealerships make money selling and servicing them? I don't think that GM can really re-focus their brands properly, until all brands are sold at a uni-fied mega dealer.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)

...but the problem is when all but Chevy and Cadillac become niche brands with only 2 or 3 models, how do the dealerships make money selling and servicing them?..
by having "all but Chevy & Cadillac" in one sales channel/dealer
actually I thought our proposals were much more similar than different
that's why I brought this to your attention
&
wanted to include a Link to your "Redundancy: see General Motors" thread here, too

...I don't quite get all that "pkgs" kerfuffle (Pk. Ave is Bonneville, while G8 is Riviera....?)
re-visiting this thread (don't know if you will, Mr.B ), I'm wondering if a large part of your kerfuffling is that the larger Zeta is first & foremost a Buick, while the smaller Z is mainly identitified with Pontiac...
if so
those size & role differences ARE the reasons:
the sportier one = Pontiac
larger/cushier-cruiser = Buick

but because I'm looking at BPGmc+S as one Brand
there are no styling differences (except for grille inserts)
& all top-Lux packages at the Brand are under the "Buick range", while the top-performance trims fall under Pontiacs

(good excuse to re-post)
insignia
powered by Pontiac

...just the top-HP model-trim ( = kerfuffle) which would replace all G6's​
&
Link to PontiacBixler's superior chop (tho possibly with more differentiation than I recommend)

·
Registered
11,215 Posts

by having "all but Chevy & Cadillac" in one sales channel/dealer
I would still like to have them at one site, but keep things separate, and add Buick, SAAB and possibly HUMMER to Caddy. Different building and staff, but same place.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts

actually I thought our proposals were much more similar than different
We do have a similar idea, but I was giving Saturn a back to basics lineup, with smaller cars that just happened to be more premium than their Chevrolet counterparts. Buick has larger vehicles and would without a doubt overtake Pontiac in the sales race between the brands. Pontiac would have just a few vehicles that were worth being Pontiacs.

Then again, several members have pointed out that pairing down the brands to 2-3 models that all supplement each other is difficult and its hard to tell which cars will make the cut and still keep a balance within the brands to justify their existence.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

...several members have pointed out that pairing down the brands to 2-3 models that all supplement each other is difficult and its hard to tell which cars will make the cut and still keep a balance within the brands to justify their existence.
yeah - that's why, *specifically for Pontiac* I had that 'packages' idea -- that Pontiac would "get credit for" the top-performing models that are primarily marketed as Saturns & Buicks (& which wouldn't 'deserve' to be Pontiacs [imho] in their less powerful versions)

·
Registered
2,121 Posts

I think that would be too confusing for anyone besides enthusiast. I've done some stupid things but I've come to the realization that the general public isn't that intelligent. I'm not one to pat myself on the back but seriously.

Pontiac would probably be best with an Insignia coupe, a Solstice, and a G8. It should keep the Insignia name, and the G8 should become Grand Prix.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

update:
just cross out S a t u r n
and write in O p e l

·
Registered
3,358 Posts

Not bad, i haven' seen this thread before, maybe later i'll form and add my own lineup here.

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts

Chevy:
Spark
Aveo
Cruze
Malibu
Impala
HHR
Orlando
Trax-city crossover
Tracker-sub compact crossover
Captiva-compact crossover
Nox
Traverse
Colorado
Silvy
Avalache
Suburban
Express

Buick:
Agila
Corsa
Skylark-Astra
Regal
LaCrosse
Rainier-sub compact crossover
Vue
Enclave
Tigra

GMC:
Terrain
Acadia
Yukon
Tornado-sub compact truck
Sierra
Canyon-XT Denali
Combo
Savanna-One of those big Opel vans

·
Registered
3,358 Posts

Ok, here's what i would like to see for 2012 (unless other date noted *):

Buick - FWD/AWD only brand, competitors - Audi and etc.
* Skyhawk (Opel Astra)
* Regal (Opel Insignia)
* LaCrosse/Allure (as is)
* Lucerne (facelifted)
* Enclave (facelifted)
* Wildcat (Opel GT/Saturn Sky)

Cadillac - RWD/AWD only brand, competitors - Mercedes Benz, BMW, Lexus.
ATS (3 class fighter)
CTS (5 class fighter)
STS (7 class fighter)
DT7 (Maybach fighter)* future model (2014+)
SRX (Lexus RX fighter)
Escalade (Lincoln Navigator fighter)

Chevrolet - competitors - Ford, Toyota, etc.
Aveo (redesigned)
Cruze (as is)
Volt (as is)
Malibu (redesigned)
Impala (redesigned)
Monte Carlo (2-door Impala)
Camaro (as is)
Corvette (as is)
HHR (Chvrolet Orlando?)
Equinox (as is)
Traverse (as is)
Tahoe/Suburban (as is)
Avalanche (as is)
Colorado (as is)
Silverado (facelifted)
Express (as is)

GMC - "Cadillac of trucks", competitors - Acura and etc.
Acadia (redesigned, MDX fighter)
Terrain (as is)
Yukon/XL (as is)
Sierra (facelifted)
Savana (as is)

Pontiac - performance only, RWD/AWD, competitors - Subaru and etc.
G8 (Facelift)
Solstice (Facelift)
Firebird/Trans-Am (LSA/LS9 Camaro)

21 - 31 of 31 Posts