GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
time and time again, I see Americans on here saying that a ute wouldnt be good for workers.

Let me end this.

I am a ceramic tiler. I own a ute which I use for work, and carrying other random things around .....like engines.

almost 500kgs of just boxes of tiles in there ^^^^

regular workload ^^^^

Fully wet BA Falcon inline 6 plus gearbox, weighing close to 500kgs, and carried all the way from Sydney which is 300kms/3hrs away from here ^^^^

Taking a load of rubbish to the tip/dump ^^^

Building site ^^^

Same building site, but the opposite side of the road ^^^^

My brothers 1998 Commodore work ute ... he is a house painter, but here he used it to move house from Sydney to Canberra (300km), while also towing a large trailer (not pictured) ^^^

And me again, helping a mate move house, carrying his queen size double bed mattress among other things ^^^

So please, no more of this "utes seem useless" crap.

·
Registered
144 Posts
time and time again, I see Americans on here saying that a ute wouldnt be good for workers.

Let me end this.

I am a ceramic tiler. I own a ute which I use for work, and carrying other random things around .....like engines.

almost 500kgs of just boxes of tiles in there ^^^^

regular workload ^^^^

Fully wet BA Falcon inline 6 plus gearbox, weighing close to 500kgs, and carried all the way from Sydney which is 300kms/3hrs away from here ^^^^

Taking a load of rubbish to the tip/dump ^^^

Building site ^^^

Same building site, but the opposite side of the road ^^^^

My brothers 1998 Commodore work ute ... he is a house painter, but here he used it to move house from Sydney to Canberra (300km), while also towing a large trailer (not pictured) ^^^

And me again, helping a mate move house, carrying his queen size double bed mattress among other things ^^^

So please, no more of this "utes seem useless" crap.

Red x all around mate

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Utes are nice, but, they do not work in a place like Texas, where you need this truck below to get things done...

obviously you need some form of truck to carry around large loads such as that.
My point is, utes do a lot of work fine, especially that the average tradesman would need their vehicle to do.
I get the feeling that a lot of people on here seem to think that a ute would be worthless as a work vehicle, and only good to carry a motorbike around once a month. Just trying to show that utes are NOT 'SSRs'.

And that being said, I've never seen a caravan, or whatever that is, that size in my life. But I do see tradesmen every day.

Also, what do you mean 'in a place like Texas'? Whats different about Texas? Because I'm pretty sure Australia has PLENTY of places that have the same kind of conditions that Texas would have, and more than likely to a greater extent too.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Utes are nice, but, they do not work in a place like Texas, where you need this truck below to get things done...
So the mighty "fifth" wheeler is rolled out!! That rig would last 5 minutes in our outback because the "front panel" where the LPG Bottles are would be shot peened to oblivion by the "gibber" rocks.

One thing I have noticed with the +350 size dual wheel rear is that it is so wide that it is almost the width of our road trains.

What's more, that vehicle cannot be easily parked in a city car park as it over dimension of most parking bays.

The ute has generally the "same" foot print as a GTO/G8, etc. Decidedly more versatile as a general purpose vehicle.

Mike

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
So the mighty "fifth" wheeler is rolled out!! That rig would last 5 minutes in our outback because the "front panel" where the LPG Bottles are would be shot peened to oblivion by the "gibber" rocks.

One thing I have noticed with the +350 size dual wheel rear is that it is so wide that it is almost the width of our road trains.

What's more, that vehicle cannot be easily parked in a city car park as it over dimension of most parking bays.

The ute has generally the "same" foot print as a GTO/G8, etc. Decidedly more versatile as a general purpose vehicle.

Mike

LPG bottles?

Anyway, I love your utes. My only concern is it dosn't seem to have much for ground clerance.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I think the main problem with the G8ST is the stupid name and stupid brand placement. Pontiac is not a work brand, I know the Ute can perform and work but Pontiac can't.

GMC. Professional Grade. Utes would fit perfectly there and it would be sold at the same dealer. It's just terrible marketing and this is one of the main reasons GM is in such a huge hole and they refuse to learn.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
What of the rebadge complaints if the ute was given to GMC? The link between the G8GT and G8ST is pretty plain to see.
Build the best cars in the world and you can rebadge them all you want. Throw a GMC Acadia front end on it and you've got yourself a deal. Besides one is a "truck" and one is a sedan. Not to mention the extremely limited supply of imports we will get. Most people will have no clue what a Pontiac G8 is.

You guys seem to take everything we say on here as fact. Just because a couple people complain about the Ute and claim pickups are better, suddenly "time and time again, I see Americans on here saying that a ute wouldnt be good for workers". I honestly wasn't aware of this being prevalent on GMi and I'm pretty observant about things like this. The rebadging thing is overblown as well. Yeah most people complain about it, the Cadillac Cimarron is a good example and are GM's final attempt at a minivan. The problem with these rebadges were that fact that they were ****ty cars by multiple brands.

We're just a bunch of internet hacks, take it with a grain of salt.

·
Super Moderator
18,180 Posts
Build the best cars in the world and you can rebadge them all you want. Throw a GMC Acadia front end on it and you've got yourself a deal. Besides one is a "truck" and one is a sedan. Not to mention the extremely limited supply of imports we will get. Most people will have no clue what a Pontiac G8 is.

You guys seem to take everything we say on here as fact. Just because a couple people complain about the Ute and claim pickups are better, suddenly "time and time again, I see Americans on here saying that a ute wouldnt be good for workers". I honestly wasn't aware of this being prevalent on GMi and I'm pretty observant about things like this. The rebadging thing is overblown as well. Yeah most people complain about it, the Cadillac Cimarron is a good example and are GM's final attempt at a minivan. The problem with these rebadges were that fact that they were ****ty cars by multiple brands.

We're just a bunch of internet hacks, take it with a grain of salt.

Furry muff. The J-car was a ****box in every market. To stick "the wreath" on it is surely one the great autmotive fuax pas of all time. Personally, I haven't seen a recent trend in GMi ute bagging either, but thought something must have initiated Ach Ess Vees post.

As for the rebadge trend, perhaps I ma putting too much weight on LeSabres posts. I can't help it, it's his Avatars that stick in my mind :D

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
Also, what do you mean 'in a place like Texas'? Whats different about Texas? Because I'm pretty sure Australia has PLENTY of places that have the same kind of conditions that Texas would have, and more than likely to a greater extent too.
Think of Texas as the big rich US state with a small *****. It always has to overcompensate for everything, ya know? It has nothing to do with the weather, it's all about how "big" everything is in Texas. It's difficult to explain fully, but it's just about being bigger than the next guy. All of the US is like that, and Texas is the epitome of it. :rolleyes:

Why is p3n!5 blocked from the forum? It's a legitemate word for gentalia. I suppose ****** is not allowed, but ***** and **** are acceptable? I guess those last two are not either. Well then how to I decribe my ***** cat or refer to my friend Richard in short form?

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
propane I believe is the name the US uses
Right. I suppose then, that Liquid Propane Gas is what the LPG acronym refers to, correct?

·
Registered
11,215 Posts

Mike
What language are you speaking? :unsure: :think:

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
That blue one looks like an updated Dodge Rampage. What is it?

Looking at that back end, I now understand why the GMC Denali XT concept looks the way it does. I absolutely LOVE the concept, except for the rear bumper. That wouldn't fly over here anyway with bumper reulations.

·
Banned
8,969 Posts
The problem with utes is their limited cab room. Not many trucks are sold here in the US as a regular cab anymore. Workers need space to store things securely in the dry, locked area inside the cab. I forget the actual percentage of extended and crew cab sales here, but I believe they are the majority of the sales. If gas goes to 6-7 bucks a gallon maybe we'd start asking for them though!

Their not useless by any means. It's just not a vehicle I see the US buying alot of.

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
Those utes seem useful for smaller home improvement projects and moving furniture. I'd like to try one with a v8 just for fun. I'm still not sure if you could get tradesman in the US out of their pickups for one. The holden does look pretty cool, though.

Vee, what is your occupation, if you don't mind my asking?

It looks like you are in the homebuilding business. How is that going in Australia? It's been a boom in the US up until 2006 and now it's flat. I'm an engineer in mostly commercial construction, which is expected to slow down.

Anyways, have you thought about a Holden Rodeo or Ford Ranger? It just seems to me like it could take more of a beating than a unibody ute, though the ute probably handles better. I don't know if it snows there, but the four wheel drive pickup has to have an advantage in that as well.

Workers in the USA usually get pickups with behind the cab tool boxes which can weigh up to 350lbs depending on what they put in there. It's more secure from theft and weather that way. Work trucks tend to be either compact or full sized, usually stripped down regular cabs with long wheelbases (8'-9' beds, depending on brand). Private trucks are going to be extended or crew cabs and may or may not have a box. Pickups comes in handy when you need to haul or tow supplies and materials, such as drywall or lumber, that are far to big to be in a van or ute. The higher side rails help keep more cargo in the truck instead of falling out on the highway. Often, you can expect an overhead ladder or long item storage device mounted to the bed rails and runs over the cab of the truck. These are also popular in American cargo vans, such as the Chevy Express or Ford Econoline, which are also used heavily by tradesman. The higher ups in construction usually try to keep their trucks looking nice just in case the owners need a job site tour. Suburbans and Hummer H2s are popular among realators who broker large tracts of land for that reason.
Of course, the architect, engineer (me), and superintendent on site all have full size 4x4s versions the trades use, except theirs is for occasional heavy hauling (when an emergency meter, light tower, or wheeled generator is needed) or off roading (like when they are needed ASAP on a flooded jobsite). I could proabably make due with a compact truck, but there are not many good options for that in America.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Most pickup/suv owners in the U.S. invent "needs" to have a giant pickup. Usually they could do fine with a smaller truck or even a car. You won't convince them that something like one of your Utes can do all the work they need, because they'll come up with reasons to buy something massive. It's more about fashion than anything.

Obviously everyone in Texas has a giant fifth-wheel to tow.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts