GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Supply shortages are making it really difficult to make cars now.

AWD Lyriqs require twice as many motors to make. 😉
GM makes it's own motors. Most people don't know this and know very little about GM. As for Tesla everything is hyped and whatever they do, reporters will report it as being the best although it may not and the whole world know.
Surprise, surprise, GM is making their own EV motors and has factually been making regular motors for decades.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
If the AWD version was here, I'd be into it. But not in the launch configuration.
AWD will be available to order on the 19th.

·
Registered
462 Posts
GM makes it's own motors. Most people don't know this and know very little about GM. As for Tesla everything is hyped and whatever they do, reporters will report it as being the best although it may not and the whole world know.
Surprise, surprise, GM is making their own EV motors and has factually been making regular motors for decades.
They don't make all the components that go into making an electric motor. It is not a mine to car production.

GM still needs to ramp up motor production from Bolt compliance levels to mass market millions per year levels.

That is not done overnight.

I think that is one of the obvious reasons why they released the RWD Lyriq first.

And they wanted to announce a base price under $60k.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One of the first regular smegular people that posts here gets to experience a Lyriq and no more than 7 words.........

I'm sorry I just saw the OP's 2nd post..Lemme up the number of words to 16.
I had posted a more detailed initial impression over at Cadillac Forum (including more pictures). But the bottom line was that I thought the execution looked pretty nice. I tried the driver seat (enough leg room for me as a seven foot person) but head room was less than my XT5 since the roof line is lower. Still, it's enough for me to clear but may not be enough for extremely tall people like myself whose height is above the waist. Still, that's a very small percentage of the population. The rear seat had more legroom than the XT5 when I had the driver seat alll the way back. That's important in my family since I have full grown teenagers including my daughter who is just getting to driving age and she regularly complains about sitting behind me in my car. I would love an Escalade but my wife has always out the brakes on that idea.

The car looks largely finished, save for a storage cubby in the main dashboard below the HVAC controls that wasn't there (and replaced with a solid panel). There final car will have the correct part. Otherwise it was quiet, comfortable and reasonably quick. We are Bolt owners so most other EVs are quicker than that car's 0-60 in 7 seconds (amazing that's something to complain about these days).

·
Registered
20,693 Posts
Sat in and got driven in a pre-production Lyriq Here's the story and the rest of the pics. I really like this thing and have been wondering how long before I finally see one in the wild. :)
Thanks for posting the link Mr carnut!

I read through Sevenfeet's write-up and all the comments! Thanks Sevenfeet for taking the time to not only do your write-up, but also tell us on GMI so that we can read it!

0-60 in the 5's is really good - more that ample for most people! The AWD two motor is going to be a beast. Funny to think that in 10 years time a 0-60 time in the 5 second range will probably be common.

Good to hear the fake leather is really nice!

I did see your comment about the feel of the rotary control. Probably similar feel to the one on my CT4. It feels decent, NOT like a cheap piece of junk, but at the same time it could be better for a primary control.

My thought is the lack of HUD and rear seat HVAC, etc. is fine as this is a base vehicle.

So overall you feel like this is a solid entrant to the luxury field if I can summarize accurately?

·
Registered
Current ride: 2015 Sonic sedan 1.8L/5sp
2,606 Posts
So the question is: did you order one??? :):):) Going from Bolt to Lyriq should be very nice. The Bolt is FWD so the intro RWD Lyriq isn’t an issue I assume.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,690 Posts
Tesla and GMs three drive units sound good.
Then you learn that Lucid does was what they do with two.
And Lucid drive units are much smaller and lighter than GMs or Teslas.

My dealer has a 2016 ELR! Wrong color inside and out but still...
Maybe I'll take it for a drive on Monday.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts