GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car in question is a 2007 Commodore Omega from Thrifty car rentals. It has just over 15,000km on the clock. It is part of our family until my wife's car comes back from the panel beaters.

My first impression of the car was clouded by the fact that they delivered it 2 hours late and so I was late for work.

Anyway, the car seemed noisy compared with my Berlina, and the handling seemed really sloppy. A quick stop at a servo showed that the right rear had about 12psi in it, so I pumped them all up to 38psi and the handling and ride improved dramatically.

The rear window is really small, and most of the view in the rear view mirror seems to be pillar. It did not take long to get used to though.

I know this is the base model, but the plastics seemed dull and hard, and look like they would attract dust. Now after a few days I am getting used to it, but I like the VY interior much better.

The run to work (about 15km in suburban traffic) was uneventful, and I could have been driving just about anything.

To add some spice, I took a lunch break the next day up Mountain Highway from The Basin to Olinda. This is a nice windy mountain road about 10km long, where I spent many a night driving to put my kids to sleep when they were babies – they liked the car and usually went to sleep when all else failed.

This was my first experience with ESC (electronic stability control). From the reports I had read, Holden had done a good job of the integration of the ESC. I would have to agree. The Omega, sitting on 15 inch steel rims, high profile tyres and with standard suspension, wallows a lot more that my car (17s, 45 profile & FE2) yet my speed up the hill was faster in the VE.

The ESC is most obvious as the car starts to understeer. As the nose starts to plough into a corner, you can feel the outside front corner of the car dip slightly as that wheel is braked to pull the car into line. If you had FE2, it would not be obvious at all.

On the way back down the hill, I gave the brakes a bit of a workout, they were fine at the bottom with no fading. I would not have expected anything else, my VY’s also do the road with no brake problems.

Today, I parked in a paddock with about 10 other cars. I had no idea where the back or even the sides of the car were when I was backing out. Blind spots jumped out everywhere.

So this is it so far. A really excellent drive (once the tyres are pumped up), but in Omega trim there is no way I would be swapping my 5 year old Berlina for it. I would love to do the same thing in a VE Berlina.

Footnote - For what we pay for this car in Australia WHERE IT IS MADE(USD$34,500 including air) you guys get a G8 GT with Sunroof, Premium and Sport packages plus $2,000 in your pocket. YOU ARE GETTING A BARGAIN !!!!

• When you ‘wink ‘the indicator, it flashes 3 times
  • The ESC is subtly restrained
  • Power is more linear than the old V6
  • The key remote locking is simpler
  • The radio steering wheel controls are nice, although they have a mind of their own
  • The remote rear view mirror controls are better
  • The hidden boot hinges are nice
  • The HVAC controls are easier to use than my climate control

Dislikes
  • There is no clock when the ignition is off
  • The key goes into the ignition at a weird angle – I still fumble it each time I put it in
  • The key light ring does not illuminate the key slot
  • The auto trans lever feels like something from a Madcatz game steering wheel
  • The damn seat belt warning bell comes on as soon as you start the engine – Mine chimes after about 20 metres of driving.
  • There is no locking petrol cap – WTF ??

·
Premium Member
18,180 Posts
I thought the steelies were 16"? Either way, it is clearly undertyred for anything other than regular commuting. Did the indicator noise piss you off? It was my main complaint.

Nice review with less gushing than my assessment last year. :D Did you work out the bluetooth?

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
"Anyway, the car seemed noisy compared with my Berlina, and the handling seemed really sloppy. A quick stop at a servo showed that the right rear had about 12psi in it, so I pumped them all up to 38psi and the handling and ride improved dramatically."

Isszy,
Two instances I can relate to about Hire Companies presenting their vehicles"

Once in Brisbane, a VX was presented as "ready to use". My check revealed there was no oil showing on the dipstick!! Hadn't been checked since delivery and has about 12K Km on the clock!

Second occasion, Cairns 12 months ago from the big Yellow mob, a Camry needed a litre before I would accept it. This request rattled the rep and he tried to swap cars. I said,
"No - I signed for this one!"

So he had to go to the local garage and get a litre to put in it!

Never take out a Hire car without checking the oil and coolant levels!

Mike

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought the steelies were 16"? Either way, it is clearly undertyred for anything other than regular commuting. Did the indicator noise piss you off? It was my main complaint.

Nice review with less gushing than my assessment last year. :D Did you work out the bluetooth?
I think you are right - 16". When I first heard the indicator noise, I thought it was feeding back through my blueant. I'm not sure why you need blinkers in stereo. Didn't fuss me too much though.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Mike,

I checked the oil after your post - full but really burnt - could do with a change.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The other thing that was different was the height of the rear windows. My son is 122cm tall and cannot see out without his booster seat.

·
Registered
6,883 Posts
The car in question is a 2007 Commodore Omega from Thrifty car rentals.

Dislikes
The Cappy cap doesn't lock, but the cover flap locks with the central locking. Perhaps the Omega does the same?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Dislikes
  • There is no clock when the ignition is off
  • The key goes into the ignition at a weird angle – I still fumble it each time I put it in
  • The key light ring does not illuminate the key slot
  • The auto trans lever feels like something from a Madcatz game steering wheel
  • The damn seat belt warning bell comes on as soon as you start the engine – Mine chimes after about 20 metres of driving.
It does take a while to get used to the key blade postion but I got over it as the rest of the car is so good.
The shifter for the 5 and 6 speed autos is nicer than the 4 speed.
Use your seatbelt and the warning chime will go away.
The petrol cap is unlocked when the car is unlocked. When you lock the car the cap is locked - nifty idea really.

·
Premium Member
18,180 Posts
I agree with Iszzys distaste of over compensating alerts. The audible seat belt alert is a real pain in the arse in the VZ. I can only imagine how much more annoying the VE one is if it starts as soon as you turn the key. I have to engage the buckle if i want to leave the car running whilst i go to the shops (with Mrs. Mak and the kids waiting for me in airconditioned comfort). A simple speed sensor would suffice.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts

Footnote - For what we pay for this car in Australia WHERE IT IS MADE(USD$34,500 including air) you guys get a G8 GT with Sunroof, Premium and Sport packages plus $2,000 in your pocket. YOU ARE GETTING A BARGAIN !!!!

I don't quite understand WTF certain base Holdens don't come w/A-C....but remind me to score a G8 GT w/the aforementioned options/packages so I can gloat ;) :D

Good review otherwise.....reminds me of what someone would say about our Chevrolet Impala LS (although for the same price you could get a fully loaded Super Sport model....) :)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
[/list]It does take a while to get used to the key blade postion but I got over it as the rest of the car is so good.
The shifter for the 5 and 6 speed autos is nicer than the 4 speed.
I religiously use my seat belt however that chime drives me nuts. I hope Holden understand that if the Falcon is a credible alternative, I will buy one when my VE SS is up for replacement later this year. After talking to a few service managers there are many people who feel the same.

The petrol cap is unlocked when the car is unlocked. When you lock the car the cap is locked - nifty idea really.
My SS is like that.

Overall it is an excellent car. Besides the seatbelt chime exterior visibility is my biggest criticism.

Red Hot Mike

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I religiously use my seat belt however that chime drives me nuts. I hope Holden understand that if the Falcon is a credible alternative, I will buy one when my VE SS is up for replacement later this year. After talking to a few service managers there are many people who feel the same.

Red Hot Mike
The chime is required by ADR's so I'm sure the Falcon will have one too.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
The chime is required by ADR's so I'm sure the Falcon will have one too.
In 1974 while visiting the US, a rear seated passenger in a Plymouth "Valiant" 2 door (Dart or Barracuda I'm not sure) that I was driving cured that problem of a seat belt buzzer with a insulated wire cutter!!!!

Never presented any trouble thereafter!!

mike

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
[/list]
My issue is not with the seat belt chime as such, but that it starts as soon as you turn the ignition on. My normal practise (entirely legal in Victoria) is to start the car in my garage, back out of the driveway without a seatbelt, then buckle up before I drive forward. The VY accomodates this nicely, as the chime only starts after you have gone about 20 metres forward.

I would imagine it would be annoying when coupling trailers and the like, when you are in and out of the car a lot while it is running.

Don't get me wrong, this is a great car, but so was the VY/VZ. I would love to try a better spec car. My brother has a Calais V, which I was really impressed with in the short drive I did in it.

·
Registered
213 Posts

Unless the Wagon sucks me in i will be looking for another ride whem my lease is up also, always have like XR6, will have to see what the lease $$ turn out to be!!

·
Registered
6,883 Posts
Well thats not a good sign. 2 of you with VEs talking about going to Falcs next time around.
????

·
Premium Member
18,180 Posts
Well thats not a good sign. 2 of you with VEs talking about going to Falcs next time around.
????
That's what I was thinking. Any particular reason why? Surely its not the Seatbelt chime.:D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.