GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, today I wanted to go out and see the Equinox and get some info on it from my dealer. As I walked around the very loaded, 29k AWD Equinox, I saw a black Maxx with the DVD player in the back and leather interior. Price was pretty high, something near 28k. The car was open(which was weird since the car was outside?). As I sit in the car, a salesman walks up to me and starts talking to me about it. After talking for a few, he asked if I wanted to drive one. Well, sure!

Ok, first impressions.
Very nice. Interior looked and felt very smooth. The switch gear still could use a little help. Its too clicky and cheap feeling. Seats were very nice, much better then what I had expected. I loved the info that comes up on the radio unit such as oil life, and other useful info. Guages are a bit small and can be blocked by the wheel. Numbers are very clumped together and I had to double check my speed a few times. Over all, fit and finish was great. I was really impessed with everything from the rear sliding seats, which is very awesome. What I was also surprised with was the trunk space. I thought that with the seats slid all the way back, that you would lose a lot of space. Wow, was I wrong. There is a lot of usable space. I liked the shelf idea, but I dont know when I would use that.

Driving
Ok, after my look around and talking with the salesman, he asked if I wanted to go for a ride in one. I picked out the dark red Maxx with tan cloth interior. It had the XM radio, but no DVD player. Price was shade above 23k. Salesman starts her up and we pop the hood. The 3.5 looks odd with that intake. GM needs to do something with that. So driving the car was great. Steering confused me. At low speed, it was like driving a non-ps truck, but at driving speed, it was pretty active. The dealer said that was the electronicly controled PS. He said there is no more PS pump? Anyway, driving felt smooth. No wind noise around the windows, and the ride was very quite. There was some traffic, so I couldnt let out all 200hp. I didnt use the shift buttons as I didnt know what the deal with that was, but thought it was cool idea. I got to punch it once, and man that puppy downshifted and really started to scoot!! I was shocked. Great passing power on a highway. I ran over a few pot holes that would normaly shake up a car, but this one took it pretty well. Good brakes, but I didnt put it through any serious stops.
All in all, for the price you cant beat it. Great power, good feel, good quality, many options. I loved the car with its cool style and its something that no one out there offers. Its a great car for the 20 somethings out there like myself. I would easily put down my money for this car as a great every day car.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Good review - I really have high hopes for this vehicle. 50% of Chevy Tahoe buyers could probably do everything they need to and get nearly double the miles per gallon doing it with the MAXX, not to mention it handles nicely.

Honestly, I'm not sure I understand the purpose of the Equinox with the MAXX available. Maybe its a price thing.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Mar 29 2004, 05:14 PM
Good review - I really have high hopes for this vehicle. 50% of Chevy Tahoe buyers could probably do everything they need to and get nearly double the miles per gallon doing it with the MAXX, not to mention it handles nicely.

Honestly, I'm not sure I understand the purpose of the Equinox with the MAXX available. Maybe its a price thing.
I too think the Maxx will do well.. In the future Chevrolet is going to have a lot of overlapping models. The Maxx, HHR, Equinox ;)

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Mar 29 2004, 11:14 PM

As roomy as the Maxx is, it's still not as roomy as the Equinox, and it's factory tow ratings are the same 1000 lbs. as it is for all GM cars - with the exception of the Vibe, which is inexplicably rated at 1500. The Equinox is rated for 3500. Much more than I would want to tow with the 3.4L, but at least the frame and springs have the factory's blessing for the weight, and you won't void the warranty.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actualy sat in the Equinox, and it was a lot bigger and IMO if you wanted Maxx like coolness, with a fantastic interior, and SUV stance... The Equinox is your car.
As for the HHR... I dont know what the hell. I keep crossing my fingers that Lutz will have a change of heart and boot this into the trash.
Is the HHR going to be at the NYIAS? I really really cant wait for New York.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts