GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know nobody cares, but i think the European GM model should be applied to the NA market. Because let's face it the era for Buick and Pontiac are long gone the "niche" market is not profitable in the long run. The money GM could save by not having to advertise the Buick and Pontiac could be enormous.
So what I think a 4 brand strategy is what GM needs. Chevrolet as the high volume brand to go up against Toyota, Honda, Ford etc. A differentiated Saturn as an amalgam of Opel/Vauxhall and Holden to compete against VW, Mazda, Nissan. So a Gamma, Delta, Epsilon II, Kappa, Theta and Lambda.
My plan for this "Saturn" is:
Gamma=Versa, Delta= Mazda3, Rabbit, Epsilon II=Mazda6 Kappa=Miata and to a lesser extent 350Z, Theta=CX7, Tiguan Lambda= CX9
I also think that if a Zeta car is can take the enthusiast purchase away from Charger, potential Mazdaspeed 6, Acura TL-S. That is taking into account that rear drive and a V8 will satisfy the performance tooth of the enthusiast.
A Ute is also a distinct possibility to attempt to differentiate the brand.
If Saturn replaces Pontiac and Buick, they will usurp their old dealerships and the exposure will greatly increase.
Saab is an intregal part of GM's strategy in Europe and should also be in important in NA, with the introduction of XWD and better chassis coming in the next 3 to 4 years Saab is a legitimate challenger to Audi as the brand that has an emphasis on AWD handling and big power from small engines and this process could also become competitive against Infiniti, Acura and this new rebranded upscaled Hyundai.
Cadillac remains the big kahuna but its emphasis must be to get out of the CTS limbo i.e a 5 series sized car priced like a 3 series. In order to do this the STS and DTS need to be cut and replaced by a true S-Class, 7-Series competitor. Another key need is a clear rear drive competitor to the 3-Series, this supposed "Alpha" platform should be 3-Series sized and flexible to Coupe, Cabrio and Wagon and be able to handle a V8 in the engine bay.
So to sum up, Chevy is mass market, Saturn is euro-chic fun to drive competitor to VW, Mazda. Saab is near lux import. Caddy is to go up against the BMW Mercedes Benz behemoth

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
yawn...another post about killing divisions off and driving those customers to other automakers.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts