GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this was a bit unexpected, but I bought myself a new car. Well not exactly new but definitely the newest, nicest car I've ever owned. My trusty old 2001 Honda Accord V6 was going to need some work and I was actually gonna get it done and just drive it but one morning when pulling out on the highway the transmission starting flaring a bit. Anybody who knows about these old Honda transmissions knows they basically suck. This one was original at 254k miles so I knew it was borrowed time anyways but when it flared I knew what else was coming. Anyways long story short I work at a Honda dealership and they had just gotten this '08 Accord EX-L in on trade. 99k miles. It had some minor issues but nothing too major. I bought the car last Friday and I absolutely LOVE it. It's got 4 new Michelin tires, new brakes, new steering rack, all new fluids and a host of other things. I paid $13k OTD and that included a 3/36 warranty as well. First car I've ever owned with Navigation and XM radio.

Here's my old '01 EX V6 sedan:

Here's my new '08 EX-L:

It's amazing how in just two generations the car went from being on the smaller scale of mid-size to being the lowest level of full size. I'm definitely enjoying the extra room. The gas mileage on the 4 cylinder is a big improvement over my old V6 and it doesn't feel unrefined, though it isn't as smooth. I'm planning on enjoying this car for awhile, though I will admit I do miss my old Accord just a little. It was definitely more nimble than the new one.

·
Premium Member
36,287 Posts
Congrats on your new wheels, ryannel. What type Michelins are they? MXV4? Defender?

You will get many happy miles out of this car.

I owned three Accords. I don't recall when VTEC came into being on the street for Accords. I do recall my V6 needed at least 3000 RPM before it could develp any scat. Don't recall if the 2003 four had the VTEC or not. The 2001 four had no low end, typical of cammers.

I DO remember I was pleasantly surprised by my 2007 Spectra, which had VVT/intake and the low-end grunt improvement over previous cammer fours was very pleasant to experience. It was a night and day improvement on engines that really did need help down low.

A bud has a 2004 EX-L that just clicked over 100K. Hope his trannie holds together. :drive:

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I'm looking forward to getting many good miles out of this car for sure!

I know on my old V6 it was about 3000-3500RPM when VTEC really started doing it's magic and the car kind of "woke up" in a sense and moved down the road. I know for a car that had a quarter of a million miles it sounded pretty mean and it was always smooth, though the transmission was always a few steps behind. The new car definitely sounds more muscular when VTEC engages and the transmission seems to know when and where to shift. Definitely an improvement all around.

Tires are Michelin Pilot HX MXM4. OEM tires on the Accord's. The car was traded in with two new Kumho Sense on the front and two Michelin's on the back, so part of my deal was getting two new matching Michelin's up front and keeping the old tires and selling them on Craigslist to make some extra money.

Reactions: cad1cts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nice choice
did you LOOK at ANY other car? or straight for this one
Thanks! I looked at other Honda's, but not any other brand really. I had good luck with my old Accord and I've had bad luck with my two previous Cadillac's so I knew I wanted to stay with a Honda product. The week prior to buying this car a customer traded in a beautiful red '08 Accord EX V6 with 35k miles that immediately sold so I didn't have a chance to look at that one much. This one was a good deal and I snapped it up pretty quickly.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
I thought you worked at a Buick-GMC store. What happened? You get demoted? ;)

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought you worked at a Buick-GMC store. What happened? You get demoted? ;)
Haha I never really worked there. I would drive dealer trades for them from time to time, but it wasn't a guaranteed or full time thing. I've had my job at Honda since July. Really like working there.

·
Registered
11,998 Posts
You'll enjoy this car. My mother has the eighth generation Accord and it's been pretty good overall. They have gotten quite large, haven't they?

The latest K24 paired with the 5AT makes them surprisingly peppy too, no?

I owned three Accords. I don't recall when VTEC came into being on the street for Accords. I do recall my V6 needed at least 3000 RPM before it could develp any scat. Don't recall if the 2003 four had the VTEC or not. The 2001 four had no low end, typical of cammers.
I'm not sure if it was the first of VTEC being found on NA Accords, but the 98-02 F23 (the I-4 on all but the base DX Accords) had VTEC, as did the J30 V-6 that was optional on those years. All 2003+ Accords on sale in NA had VTEC.

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
Congrats on your new wheels, ryannel. What type Michelins are they? MXV4? Defender?

You will get many happy miles out of this car.

I DO remember I was pleasantly surprised by my 2007 Spectra, which had VVT/intake and the low-end grunt improvement over previous cammer fours was very pleasant to experience. It was a night and day improvement on engines that really did need help down low.

A bud has a 2004 EX-L that just clicked over 100K. Hope his trannie holds together. :drive:
New Earth Dreams V6 bites pretty early.

·
Premium Member
36,287 Posts
Hard to get excited over a Honda when your on a GM forum. Whelp congrats on your new car...... I guess.
Fake it! :drive:

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Hard to get excited over a Honda when your on a GM forum. Whelp congrats on your new car...... I guess.
Well I mean he previously owned one and works at a Honda dealer anyway...hell my daily driver isn't a GM product either

·
Registered
21,318 Posts
And you drive a 2012 Lincoln MKT?................. :think:

·
Banned
943 Posts
And you drive a 2012 Lincoln MKT?................. :think:
Here we go again!...... If our (yes,believe it or not I said "our") precious GM would have offered something comparable to the MKT (twin turbo AWD seating for 7) I would have bought whatever it was,but guess what they don't and from the looks of it won't.

Don't want a great big silly 4dr pick-up truck and don't need the size and hungry belly of the Suburban/Yukon/Escalade triplets. So what do I have left kind sir?.

Further more; I'm not posting pics of my Lincoln to a GM forum (and yes I have GM cars)........... New to me car or not.

Oh, and nice Fords/Lincolns......*shakes head*

·
Banned
943 Posts
You're the same black cloud that trolls every thread that floats under your bridge, right?
I don't troll threads brah!, I share my opinion just like you do dude!. If I were looking to troll I'd just troll and be done with it.

Oh I did forget to say CONGRATS! on the new to you car Ryannel 2003!. Sorry for my abrupt rudeness into your new car joy and sharing it with us.

Is that better Sfbrah?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I mean I know many posters who don't own GM products and post pictures of their cars in the forums. My family still owns all GM products and I've personally owned two so I don't think it's a big deal to post pictures of my new car. There was nothing similar in pricing and size to the Accord that GM sold that I would've wanted to purchase. I thought about a Malibu for 2.5 seconds but they are typically rattle traps and the interiors don't hold up well. Impala would've been a big hell no... ancient platform and interior, handling and ride similar to pudding, and very mediocre to drive.

I'm enjoying my Accord very much so far. It's a great car.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.