GM Inside News Forum banner

My new 2023 GMC Canyon Elevation...and a sad goodbye.

7K views 32 replies 23 participants last post by  FenwickHockey65 
#1 ·
I had just turned 12 years old in September of 2003 when my parents decided 14 years and 249k miles was enough for our 1989 GMC Safari. So off we went to Fiehrer Buick-Pontiac-GMC in Fairfield, Ohio to get a new Safari, or so I thought. My parents decided to fall in with the SUV craze of the early 2000s and we came home with a brand new 2003 GMC Envoy SLE.

Up until then, the vehicles we had and I had grown up with all had manual locks, manual windows, single zone climate control, so imagine going from that into something that had power everything. It was like a spaceship inside. I fell in love immediately and still remember telling my parents that it was my car, which they always laughed about. But sure enough, after college and right before I moved to Florida almost 10 years ago, the Envoy actually did become my car. It made the move to Florida with me, started my career with me, took me all over central Florida while in training for my law enforcement side gig. Even served as a last-ditch patrol car one night when two officers were shot and killed less than 5 miles from my house, I didn't have time to go to the station to pick up a car so just threw my uniform on and my gear in and drove to the scene.

For 20 years and over 123k miles, the Envoy never failed me. I knew every time I turned that key the 4.2L would fire right up. But as the 20 year mark approached and routine maintenance led to having to replace or repair parts that had simply aged to the end of their usable life, I knew it was getting to be that time.

So in February of this year, I ordered a Dynamic Blue Metallic GMC Canyon Elevation. It took about a month and a half for GM to finally accept the order but quickly after that, it was broadcast for production and produced the week of April 17th. It sat at Wentzville for close to a month apparently dodging hail storms left and right and finally got shipped out just before the big one that damaged over 3000 trucks. Took delivery yesterday in a pretty seamless dealership experience which pleasantly surprised me because my first saleswoman was pretty clueless when I first ordered. Employee discount and GM Card earnings were honored without question.

My initial impressions after 30 miles driving back from the dealer, picking up a firearm from my FFL, and going to the post office this morning: this new generation of GM midsize trucks feels and drives like actual trucks. The 2nd gen (I drive a 2020 Colorado W/T for work and my dad picked up a 2018 Canyon SLE) for some reason just felt small, not necessarily cramped but definitely felt smaller than a full size and drove more like a crossover than a pickup. The 2.7T HO that's standard in all Canyons is a little raspy when accelerating but feels powerful and pulls hard. If you listen closely you can hear the turbo whistling. So far I haven't experienced any issues with the new 8 speed transmission, but for that matter I never noticed any problems with the 8 speed in my 2020 Colorado or my dad's Canyon, although he had the dealer perform the transmission fluid flush/replace just to be sure. The interior is a massive leap forward over the 2nd gen truck, it's comfortable and spacious with a lot more tech packed into it. Navigating the menus is easy and smartphone-like, but there are a LOT of menus. It took me over half an hour sitting in my garage last night to go through them all.

I have floor liners ordered through my dealer and I plan on getting the molded splash guards as well. Currently looking into paint protection film for the front because this new water-based paint is awful against rock chips, I already have a tiny one on the hood from the drive home.

Some photos:

-Thought this was cool, 20 years between window stickers.

See less See more
#3 ·
Great write-up - love the story on your Envoy.

Beautiful looking truck - best of luck with it.

I can hear the turbo whine a little on my car too, I like to put down the windows when I start the car, I like the sound and it is more evident when the engine is cold.

What's this with the paint, I hadn't heard that - I thought they were already water-based?

#5 ·
Great write-up - love the story on your Envoy.

Beautiful looking truck - best of luck with it.

I can hear the turbo whine a little on my car too, I like to put down the windows when I start the car, I like the sound and it is more evident when the engine is cold.

What's this with the paint, I hadn't heard that - I thought they were already water-based?
It is, it sucks. My 2020's front is covered in rock chips. Meanwhile my Envoy's was still basically flawless.

#6 ·
I had just turned 12 years old in September of 2003 when my parents decided 14 years and 249k miles was enough for our 1989 GMC Safari. So off we went to Fiehrer Buick-Pontiac-GMC in Fairfield, Ohio to get a new Safari, or so I thought. My parents decided to fall in with the SUV craze of the early 2000s and we came home with a brand new 2003 GMC Envoy SLE.

Up until then, the vehicles we had and I had grown up with all had manual locks, manual windows, single zone climate control, so imagine going from that into something that had power everything. It was like a spaceship inside. I fell in love immediately and still remember telling my parents that it was my car, which they always laughed about. But sure enough, after college and right before I moved to Florida almost 10 years ago, the Envoy actually did become my car. It made the move to Florida with me, started my career with me, took me all over central Florida while in training for my law enforcement side gig. Even served as a last-ditch patrol car one night when two officers were shot and killed less than 5 miles from my house, I didn't have time to go to the station to pick up a car so just threw my uniform on and my gear in and drove to the scene.

For 20 years and over 123k miles, the Envoy never failed me. I knew every time I turned that key the 4.2L would fire right up. But as the 20 year mark approached and routine maintenance led to having to replace or repair parts that had simply aged to the end of their usable life, I knew it was getting to be that time.

So in February of this year, I ordered a Dynamic Blue Metallic GMC Canyon Elevation. It took about a month and a half for GM to finally accept the order but quickly after that, it was broadcast for production and produced the week of April 17th. It sat at Wentzville for close to a month apparently dodging hail storms left and right and finally got shipped out just before the big one that damaged over 3000 trucks. Took delivery yesterday in a pretty seamless dealership experience which pleasantly surprised me because my first saleswoman was pretty clueless when I first ordered. Employee discount and GM Card earnings were honored without question.

My initial impressions after 30 miles driving back from the dealer, picking up a firearm from my FFL, and going to the post office this morning: this new generation of GM midsize trucks feels and drives like actual trucks. The 2nd gen (I drive a 2020 Colorado W/T for work and my dad picked up a 2018 Canyon SLE) for some reason just felt small, not necessarily cramped but definitely felt smaller than a full size and drove more like a crossover than a pickup. The 2.7T HO that's standard in all Canyons is a little raspy when accelerating but feels powerful and pulls hard. If you listen closely you can hear the turbo whistling. So far I haven't experienced any issues with the new 8 speed transmission, but for that matter I never noticed any problems with the 8 speed in my 2020 Colorado or my dad's Canyon, although he had the dealer perform the transmission fluid flush/replace just to be sure. The interior is a massive leap forward over the 2nd gen truck, it's comfortable and spacious with a lot more tech packed into it. Navigating the menus is easy and smartphone-like, but there are a LOT of menus. It took me over half an hour sitting in my garage last night to go through them all.

I have floor liners ordered through my dealer and I plan on getting the molded splash guards as well. Currently looking into paint protection film for the front because this new water-based paint is awful against rock chips, I already have a tiny one on the hood from the drive home.

Some photos:

One question for you: how is that chrome trim on the dash on your eyes and whatnot in the sun along with reflections or glare and such when driving? The reason I ask is that my Equinox is similar and it can be :( annoying at times when the sun gets things just right.

#8 ·
I've definitely noticed it too, especially with all the piano black surfaces around the screen and shifter there's definitely a lot of reflection/glare. I know a company has started offering an overlay kit for the screen and center console to cover up the piano black.

Hopefully tinting the front windows helps a little there.

Nice whip! I can’t stop staring at the second pic. That photo would be blown up a little, framed and put in my garage or man-cave if I had one. The color of your truck and that sky look like they were born together! 💯

I was going to ask why not 4WD but then I remembered you’re a Florida resident. That ain’t happening up here in Chicago. 😂

Again, nice whip man!

Btw, is that Dynamic Blue the same as the Glacier Blue on the Colorado?
Yeah I figured I'd save a thousand or so and just forego 4WD although I'm sure at some point I'll run into an instance where I regret that. With that being said my Colorado is RWD with the locking rear and it's gotten me down every muddy dairy farm road I've needed to get through without issue.

And yes Dynamic Blue and Glacier Blue are the same. It's a really interesting color as it changes in appearance depending on the lighting conditions.

#7 ·
Nice whip! I can’t stop staring at the second pic. That photo would be blown up a little, framed and put in my garage or man-cave if I had one. The color of your truck and that sky look like they were born together! 💯

I was going to ask why not 4WD but then I remembered you’re a Florida resident. That ain’t happening up here in Chicago. 😂

Again, nice whip man!

Btw, is that Dynamic Blue the same as the Glacier Blue on the Colorado?

#12 ·
Congratulations on taking delivery of your new 2023 GMC Canyon FenwickHockey65, and thank you for sharing photos, driving impressions, and your journey with the ordering process.

Like desert-rat, I'm curious as well what kind of firearm you picked up?

And last but definitely not least, on this Memorial Day I wish to salute and remember law enforcement officers who made the ultimate sacrifice (and their families), including the two fellow officers of yours that gave their lives so close to home.
Glock 45 MOS. I can order a 45 MOS or 43X or both every year from Glock through my agency's contract.

#11 ·
Congratulations on taking delivery of your new 2023 GMC Canyon FenwickHockey65, and thank you for sharing photos, driving impressions, and your journey with the ordering process.

Like desert-rat, I'm curious as well what kind of firearm you picked up?

And last but definitely not least, on this Memorial Day I wish to salute and remember law enforcement officers who made the ultimate sacrifice (and their families), including the two fellow officers of yours that gave their lives so close to home.

#14 ·
Congratulations! Bittersweet moment! I know how you feel, our 2005 Buick Rainier is approaching 190k. It's been a great SUV, but it's an old girl now. I would love to replace it with another, but GM doesn't have anything comparable. We will probably switch to a Yukon or Escalade and hang on to the faithful Rainier.

• Love
Reactions: RedSkyBlackDream
#16 ·
Nice Truck, Nice Pics!!

#17 · (Edited)

Some photos:

Congrats man! Good looking truck. I know the feeling. Had to say goodbye to my 2002 Suburban not too long that had been In the family for 21 years, and gave us 220K trouble free miles. Lots of memories.

#19 ·
Nice truck! Definitely like the looks of the 3rd gen mid-sizers!

Your story was great to read as well, and had some similarities/parallels with em. I grew up in central FL and went to college down in Melbourne before ultimately moving up to Vermont. Sort of a small world situation, since I recognize your name as one of the "way back" GMIers, but never knew we were so close. Although depending on when you moved to FL we may not have had overlap, I left in 2010.

I actually drove the 1995 GMC Jimmy my parents bought new up to VT with me in 2010, and ended up replacing it with a 2005 Trailblazer, the platform mate of your Envoy, a few years later. Enjoyed the Trailblazer and 4.2L for sure, but unfortunately mine was not done any favors being in NY and VT salted roads for 10+ years, the rust was starting to win the war. I think it was in the 125k range when I sold it.

Hope your new Canyon gives you years of enjoyment!

#21 ·
Nice truck! Definitely like the looks of the 3rd gen mid-sizers!

Your story was great to read as well, and had some similarities/parallels with em. I grew up in central FL and went to college down in Melbourne before ultimately moving up to Vermont. Sort of a small world situation, since I recognize your name as one of the "way back" GMIers, but never knew we were so close. Although depending on when you moved to FL we may not have had overlap, I left in 2010.

I actually drove the 1995 GMC Jimmy my parents bought new up to VT with me in 2010, and ended up replacing it with a 2005 Trailblazer, the platform mate of your Envoy, a few years later. Enjoyed the Trailblazer and 4.2L for sure, but unfortunately mine was not done any favors being in NY and VT salted roads for 10+ years, the rust was starting to win the war. I think it was in the 125k range when I sold it.

Hope your new Canyon gives you years of enjoyment!
I moved right after graduating in 2013.

I was having the same rust issue with my Envoy from Ohio winters and road salt. Part of what influenced my decision to let her go.

Reactions: Cphelps
#23 ·
I'm not calling you guys out 'cause I've had to do the same, but... those old road salt warriors end up in unwitting hands that suffer mightily trying to maintain/repair them. Just part of the process. Rust NEVER sleeps.

Reactions: rockyspaw
#30 ·
They are good at this sort of thing. It seems they low ball us then turn around and want ultra? top dollar for it. Granted I don't know your situation and don't want to pry into it either :) ... (and Scarlett wants to chat... lol) Anyway it looks really good and well cared for being 17 to 18 yrs old, Good On You for that :love: .

#31 ·

Some photos:

How are you liking your Canyon? (especially the engine)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.