GM Inside News Forum banner

81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Here's another very positive review of the CT4-V.

He (or his camera person) did a really good job In capturing the black color inside the CT4. So many outlets don’t do a good job capturing black on camera. All too often on video and still images the blacks look like smoky grays instead of black.

This gives you a better idea of how this interior looks in person. Seeing a more lifelike black gives you a better idea of how the car looks on the inside. When you see a grayish looking black and reviewer is criticizing what s/he sees as a drab interior it sounds like a legit critique.

But when you see lifelike blacks and you see the red piping, which does a decent job of brightening things up, you can make up your own mind.

·
Registered
16,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Did you purchase your car at Loehmann-Blasius? I see they have a red and blue CT4-V listed at $48,432 on cars.com which is the best advertised offer in the northeast.
Winner! Yes I did! I was hoping my dealer could trade them for it, but my dealer said they don't have a swap agreement with them. I'm really surprised the other two are still there - I hope this isn't a bad sign....

Time for you to take a road trip to CT??? :D

·
Registered
16,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
The fun to drive nature of CT4-V, especially its amazing chassis tuning, makes it easy to overlook the car's shortcomings. Every review I've read of CT4-V - both from professional reviewers as well as your own personal review BlackGTP - suggests that the car plenty of road racer attitude that driving enthusiasts will appreciate.
:drive:
I was thinking the same. Not a peep about the lower door panel being cheap, but you did hear about it on the ATS. But the ATS had flocking on the inside of the door pocket while the CT4 doesn't. The reviewers are so busy having a blast with the car that they don't notice!

·
Registered
16,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
He (or his camera person) did a really good job In capturing the black color inside the CT4. So many outlets don’t do a good job capturing black on camera. All too often on video and still images the blacks look like smoky grays instead of black.

This gives you a better idea of how this interior looks in person. Seeing a more lifelike black gives you a better idea of how the car looks on the inside. When you see a grayish looking black and reviewer is criticizing what s/he sees as a drab interior it sounds like a legit critique.

But when you see lifelike blacks and you see the red piping, which does a decent job of brightening things up, you can make up your own mind.
The black is nice, I did sit in a blue one with the black interior - it was sharp with the piping. I just liked the sangria better and the black exterior just calls to me!

·
Registered
13,144 Posts
Thanks JB! How's the new Vette been treating you? Actually looking at your cars - I see the Alfa Romea Stelvio - what has the quality been like on it?
Im really enjoying the c8 z51 and like you it has performance michelins. Ive got the P4s and Ill use it on friday and even through the entire winter this year. Just keep traction control and active handling on and drive with commons sense and you should be fine.

Only the michelin cup 2 s would be a huge problem below 40 degrees.

The wife loves her alfa stelvio ti sport and after 28 months this vehicle has been utterly reliable and fantastic.

I recommend alfas for their fun to drive and of course subsidized leasing deals...

Not as fast as your ct4 v twin turbo for sure,

Enjoy that beautiful new ride.

Reactions: BlackGTP

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Winner! Yes I did! I was hoping my dealer could trade them for it, but my dealer said they don't have a swap agreement with them. I'm really surprised the other two are still there - I hope this isn't a bad sign....

Time for you to take a road trip to CT??? :D
I'd probably be pleased with the CT4-V as a replacement for my aging Pontiac G8 GT but I'm not in the market yet as my trusty G8 will soldier on through another Pocono winter, albeit it's starting to nickel and dime me quite a bit.

·
Registered
16,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
I'd probably be pleased with the CT4-V as a replacement for my aging Pontiac G8 GT but I'm not in the market yet as my trusty G8 will soldier on through another Pocono winter, albeit it's starting to nickel and dime me quite a bit.
How many miles on your G8? I wonder how this CT4-V will feel vs. the power in your G8. I just looked up the 0-60 on a 2008, it is 4.7 seconds, so about the same as the CT4-V. Actually amazing that a 4 cylinder is matching the 0-60.

·
Registered
16,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Im really enjoying the c8 z51 and like you it has performance michelins. Ive got the P4s and Ill use it on friday and even through the entire winter this year. Just keep traction control and active handling on and drive with commons sense and you should be fine.

The wife loves her alfa stelvio ti sport and after 28 months this vehicle has been utterly reliable and fantastic.

I recommend alfas for their fun to drive and of course subsidized leasing deals...

The missus is taking tomorrow off, so I'm taking her Jeep into work! And my appointment to swap out the tires is on Saturday, so I'll be back in action! I figure, why risk it - don't want to mess up my new toy!

Good to hear about your Alfa - I hear Alfa Romeo and I just assume they come with mechanical issues.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
How many miles on your G8? I wonder how this CT4-V will feel vs. the power in your G8. I just looked up the 0-60 on a 2008, it is 4.7 seconds, so about the same as the CT4-V. Actually amazing that a 4 cylinder is matching the 0-60.
I'm only at 106k(purchased new) but a dozen winters of rural road salt is truly taking its toll underneath. The durable 6.0L V8 has 360HP/360TQ but the GT weighs in at nearly 4000#s so the lighter, slightly less powerful CT4-V should be comparable as long as turbo lag(or nannies) don't slow things down.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The black is nice, I did sit in a blue one with the black interior - it was sharp with the piping. I just liked the sangria better and the black exterior just calls to me!
When it comes to Cadillac sedan exterior colors, I assure you, God intended black.

·
Registered
16,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
I'm only at 106k(purchased new) but a dozen winters of rural road salt is truly taking its toll underneath. The durable 6.0L V8 has 360HP/360TQ but the GT weighs in at nearly 4000#s so the lighter, slightly less powerful CT4-V should be comparable as long as turbo lag(or nannies) don't slow things down.
There isn't much turbo lag. If you get the chance to drive the CT4 with the 2.7 I'd be interested in your thoughts in how it stacks up to your V8. Certainly the V8 will sound better (not that the 2.7 sounds bad), but as far as power delivery, etc..

·
Registered
16,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Remember the good old days when everybody thought it was such a big deal to have red leather interiors?
When I first bought my ATS, obviously most people didn't know what an ATS was. But I found out people were talking about my red interior behind my back before they saw it. As in "how tacky" talking. Then they saw it and changed their tune!

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 1972 Chevy Nova
3,355 Posts
There isn't much turbo lag.
Good to hear BlackGTP! GM's 2.7L 4-cylinder is the first production gasoline engine to use BorgWarner's dual volute turbocharger. The company stated in its press release:

BorgWarner said:
"BorgWarner has developed a dual volute turbocharger specifically engineered for gasoline engines in light-duty vehicles with aggressive transient response targets. The company’s new turbocharger delivers a noticeably quicker engine response time when accelerating from low speeds. The dual volute geometry allows for the complete segregation of engine exhaust pulsations so more exhaust energy is available to the turbine wheel, compared with traditional twin-scroll turbochargers."

·
Registered
1,107 Posts

You may want to reconsider that. From Michelin...
Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels, or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. While compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.

·
Registered
16,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
You may want to reconsider that. From Michelin...
Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels, or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. While compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.
After everyone's comments, I read up on summer tires myself. Continental (my tires) recommended changing them at 46 degrees. After reading up what can happen I don't want to risk it, especially since this is a daily driver for me. My appointment is for tomorrow to swap out the tires. My wife took today off, so I took her Jeep - today is the first day of the season where the high never made it past 40 and we are getting a wet snow. And again, after comments on GMI and subsequently reading about snow tires I wanted to get snow tires for my car. But Town Fair Tires (big tire chain in the Northeast) had no run flat snow tires to fit my car, so I had to go with all seasons; real educational for me. I thought snow tires were just for snow, a better name for them is winter tires - I didn't realize the rubber is optimized for better road holding in dry conditions too. Once these all season tires wear out, and I have more time, I'll definitely get winter tires.

Very interesting reading up on tires!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
After everyone's comments, I read up on summer tires myself. Continental (my tires) recommended changing them at 46 degrees. After reading up what can happen I don't want to risk it, especially since this is a daily driver for me. My appointment is for tomorrow to swap out the tires. My wife took today off, so I took her Jeep - today is the first day of the season where the high never made it past 40 and we are getting a wet snow. And again, after comments on GMI and subsequently reading about snow tires I wanted to get snow tires for my car. But Town Fair Tires (big tire chain in the Northeast) had no run flat snow tires to fit my car, so I had to go with all seasons. Real educational for me. I thought snow tires were just for snow, a better name for them is winter tires - I didn't realize the rubber is optimized for better road holding in dry conditions too. Once these tires wear out and I have more time I'll definitely get winter tires.
I saw a vid of soto tires being demoed against regular all seasons on ice. The soto's almost acted like it was dry pavement. I have no idea how they achieved it, but it was nothing short of magic. And maybe it was, it was a sales vid. I think given your climate is not super cold, A/S is perfectly fine. Eon's ago when I skied and would drive up to Tahoe the state patrol would have checkpoints if the weather was bad. You either had to have chains or 4 wheel drive with winter tires. Otherwise, back down the mountain you went. Stores that stocked chains at the turn around point made a killing. 3X to 10X the price elsewhere.

·
Registered
16,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
I saw a vid of soto tires being demoed against regular all seasons on ice. The soto's almost acted like it was dry pavement. I have no idea how they achieved it, but it was nothing short of magic. And maybe it was, it was a sales vid. I think given your climate is not super cold, A/S is perfectly fine. Eon's ago when I skied and would drive up to Tahoe the state patrol would have checkpoints if the weather was bad. You either had to have chains or 4 wheel drive with winter tires. Otherwise, back down the mountain you went. Stores that stocked chains at the turn around point made a killing. 3X to 10X the price elsewhere.
Sometimes it's hard to know where science ends and marketing begins! Either way, I'm sold on winter tires and will eventually get them. Though, like you said, CT winters aren't that bad, so this time around all seasons will suffice. Definitely will be working from home full time this winter due to Covid, so driving in the snow is a non-issue. Even in a normal world I'd mostly be working from home if it snows anyway. But sounds like the winter tires are worth it for grip even on dry pavement. After reading up I'd say calling winter tires "snow tires" is a disservice as it makes them sound like they are purpose built for snow and compromised with everything else.

·
Registered
13,144 Posts
Just finished a nice early morning drive up and around the mountains before the world wakes up in 29 degree weather and for those that might have been concerned because they are not all season I couldnt even tell the difference in any traction etc..(frost on some grass and cars etc) i went for the early AM drive for the serenity as it was awesome.

im sure to report back as the weather gets colder and colder etc for those that might be interested. I just happened to peak at the outside temperature while driving in the car after seeing the frost and thought Id share my driving impressions...

not even a concern....not even a noticeable difference ...(might be because of the 60 percent rear weight bias as well/ 50/50 or thereabouts of the ct4v might be different as well. That I dont know.

i wouldnt have even thought about it except some of the various forum discussion often concerns the weather temps dropping and peopke driving on michelin P4 S tires as if they were the more focused michelin cup 2 tires which were extreme high performance rubber compound and tread.(those cup2 tires were fabulous dry surface bit notoriously bad for cold temp traction and could crack)

the michelin P4S is a more balanced tire ...on my corvette.

should be fun to report back as the temps move closer to zero.

happy halloween

ENJoy that beautiful new ride...and obviously having winter specific tires on your cool ct4 v makes more sense than summer tires. Im sure as the temps get closer to zero Ill have a few interesting stories to tell and when and if I do...ill consider the advice on winter snow specific tires as well.

Then Ill be ready to rally.....there was a time before awd audi quattro coupes were all the rage that rear mid engine cars were pretty impressive in the snow.

Back then it was the beautiful lancia stratos and the then the lancia type 037 (monte carlo/scorpion derivative) back then I had a turbo scorpion as my daily driver...and it was fun in the snow...

No abs or traction control etc because it wasnt invented yet...but the rear mid engine made for pretty good traction in the white stuff.

·
Registered
16,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Just finished a nice early morning drive up and around the mountains before the world wakes up in 29 degree weather and for those that might have been concerned because they are not all season I couldnt even tell the difference in any traction etc..(frost on some grass and cars etc) i went for the early AM drive for the serenity as it was awesome.

im sure to report back as the weather gets colder and colder etc for those that might be interested. I just happened to peak at the outside temperature while driving in the car after seeing the frost and thought Id share my driving impressions...

not even a concern....not even a noticeable difference ...(might be because of the 60 percent rear weight bias as well/ 50/50 or thereabouts of the ct4v might be different as well. That I dont know.

i wouldnt have even thought about it except some of the various forum discussion often concerns the weather temps dropping and peopke driving on michelin P4 S tires as if they were the more focused michelin cup 2 tires which were extreme high performance rubber compound and tread.(those cup2 tires were fabulous dry surface bit notoriously bad for cold temp traction and could crack)

the michelin P4S is a more balanced tire ...on my corvette.

should be fun to report back as the temps move closer to zero.

happy halloween

ENJoy that beautiful new ride...and obviously having winter specific tires on your cool ct4 v makes more sense than summer tires. Im sure as the temps get closer to zero Ill have a few interesting stories to tell and when and if I do...ill consider the advice on winter snow specific tires as well.

Then Ill be ready to rally.....there was a time before awd audi quattro coupes were all the rage that rear mid engine cars were pretty impressive in the snow.

Back then it was the beautiful lancia stratos and the then the lancia type 037 (monte carlo/scorpion derivative) back then I had a turbo scorpion as my daily driver...and it was fun in the snow...

No abs or traction control etc because it wasnt invented yet...but the rear mid engine made for pretty good traction in the white stuff.
Yes! I'd love to hear! And unlike your C8, my CT4V is a daily driver, so I'll err on the side of caution and going with the tire swap!

Ride in the mountains in a C8 - now that's a good way to start the day! What state are you in?

Edit: just had my all seasons put on, definitely feel a difference, they feel stiffer over bumps. But they'll get the job done!

Cool having a car like this. The guy at the front desk said the manager would handle the actual changing of the tires since it's a special car and brand new. Then the manager and 3 of the techs talked to me about the car when they were done!

81 - 100 of 104 Posts