GM Inside News Forum banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
The next step is pictures of your new "baby" please. :)
I will post new picture, I am afraid this little thing is going to be a money pit, then its going to end up on bring a trailer, I got a stock Toyota Radio, will get it Katzskin seats re-upholstered, replace the door panels, etc, a new paint yob, I am going to leave the powertrain alone after the supercharger kit, I have decided its fast enough as it is without more tinkering, no more RAV4 AWD system on it, just clean it up, fix it up, then its going to need new lenses all around, and then it will be ready for sale.
It also needs all the suspension bits replaced.. all of them, bushes shocks etc, are all worn out.. the trunk/boot is broken too, needs fixing.. all the weather strippin too need replacing, while we are at it, we might as well replace the interior vinyl.. hahahaha, all blue

I don't know man, I need a second Job, like I am not busy enough already, I have a ph.d program and a full time job, plus father and husband...

·
Premium Member
35,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
So far all in, its cost me the following
Total $ 2,294.05
DateAmountActivity
4/6/2021​
350.00Purchase
4/6/2021​
180.00Towing
4/16/2021​
292.58Registration
5/8/2021​
47.70Radio
5/9/2021​
423.77Engine Parts
5/30/2021​
1,000.00Tony's Garage

I need
1. Commiefornia Smog
2. Muffler
3. Bluetooth

These are absolute must haves for safety and safe operation of a motorcar

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Not bad at all. Good luck with it I am sure it will be fun for the kiddos to learn on.

Reactions: mbukukanyau

·
Premium Member
35,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Anyone ever re-upholstered a car? I need to figure out how much it would run give or take, Katzskin wants a thousand bucks.. thats like a whole Bambi and the mother worth of money

·
Premium Member
35,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
This baby is getting really bad, now its eating money
Alfa Romeo Milano Verde Wheels

Got all seven, 5 are getting ceramic coated, 2 are for sale, and 4 original Celica wheels also for sale if you want them.. oh.. man oh man.. they are getting a white ceramic coat, which means, at this point, I have to really just go all in, 5 year plan, new interior, new paint job, turbo AWD gearbox from Japan, and an RX rear Axle, and and.. man oh man.. anyone wants to know how this is all going to end up? With me on the couch.. or sleeping in my new Celica...

Or I could just sell it , make a down payment on that ZL 1 and call it even

·
Registered
19,285 Posts
This baby is getting really bad, now its eating money
Alfa Romeo Milano Verde Wheels
View attachment 63875

Got all seven, 5 are getting ceramic coated, 2 are for sale, and 4 original Celica wheels also for sale if you want them.. oh.. man oh man.. they are getting a white ceramic coat, which means, at this point, I have to really just go all in, 5 year plan, new interior, new paint job, turbo AWD gearbox from Japan, and an RX rear Axle, and and.. man oh man.. anyone wants to know how this is all going to end up? With me on the couch.. or sleeping in my new Celica...

Or I could just sell it , make a down payment on that ZL 1 and call it even
I bet a new ZL1 will be cheaper in the long run vs. restoring your Celica to new+ (+ = including modifications)! Cars are the WORST hobby - nothing comes cheap! :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
35,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I bet a new ZL1 will be cheaper in the long run vs. restoring your Celica to new+ (+ = including modifications)! Cars are the WORST hobby - nothing comes cheap! :D :D :D
you are probably right. I am thinking the mods will be bolt ons. The thing with this car is that there is no rust at all. A Commiefornia thing. So, I can pick up a Celica AWD gearbox $1,500, Lexus RX rear Axle, beefier, and Turbo Celica Motor, and for about $1500.00 my mechanic will install them.. no problem, so another.. errr $6,000.00 I can have a mundane looking Celica AWD Turbo.. without all the nose cones and tell tale signs.. but wicked.. quick.. no where near ZL1 quick though... and would fetch very good money on bring a trailer..

I am on the wrong path... someone needs to save me from myself, I tell you...

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,456 Posts
you are probably right. I am thinking the mods will be bolt ons. The thing with this car is that there is no rust at all. A Commiefornia thing. So, I can pick up a Celica AWD gearbox $1,500, Lexus RX rear Axle, beefier, and Turbo Celica Motor, and for about $1500.00 my mechanic will install them.. no problem, so another.. errr $6,000.00 I can have a mundane looking Celica AWD Turbo.. without all the nose cones and tell tale signs.. but wicked.. quick.. no where near ZL1 quick though... and would fetch very good money on bring a trailer..

Yeah,,, but... you've got the passion for it by the sounds of it and maybe, just maybe there's the justification in it all. :)

·
Registered
19,285 Posts

Have fun with it! Take your time and improve it as money is available! Could be your 50 year project!

Just don't let it sit so long that weeds are growing around it - that's when it is time to get rid of it. Either means your passion or money is gone, either way, it means you aren't doing anything with it and time to part ways.

·
Super Moderator
2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS - 6M w/LS3
4,299 Posts
Once you get the bug, it's hard to quit. Paid $4k or so for this 350-powered IROC about 2 years ago in nice condition and 98k miles. Really just needed paint and some deferred maintenance. As of today, it still doesn't have paint, but I did do these things:

T56 6-speed swap
C5 Z06 Brakes
Holley Sniper Fuel Injection (the old TPI has severe limitations over 4k RPMs)
Struts/Shocks/ball joints/bushings all the way around
4th-gen rear
Riken Raptor Tires

Probably have an additional $9k in a car I can sell for $7k :ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS - 6M w/LS3
4,299 Posts
Oh, then I nearly got thrown out of my house by my wife when I dragged this home last summer on a trailer. Wound up needing new brakes all the way around, but other than that, a pristine 59k mile car.

·
Premium Member
35,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Oh, then I nearly got thrown out of my house by my wife when I dragged this home last summer on a trailer. Wound up needing new brakes all the way around, but other than that, a pristine 59k mile car.

View attachment 63881
Your wife is certainly a keeper if you have not spent a night in that car yet, alone at night in the cold.

·
Premium Member
35,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
The pains of trying to look period correct. I found that these plastic prius/Yaris center caps are the smallest you can get from Toyoduh, but they will not fit, still about 1 MM in diameter too large, but with some very hot water and rubber hammer they can be persuaded to fit, oh well, I guess I will have to get out my steamer

I have two extra wheels to sell if anyone is interested. $100 each plus shipping...

41 - 60 of 63 Posts