GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I taught my daughter to drive stick in this cute little '98 S10 4.3 5 speed quite a few years ago. Insurance was cheap. She did OK but much preferred driving our 2014 Volt. She took over the cheap Volt lease payments(then leased her own 2017) and I still own the S10 with 188k miles.

Its very important to pass on tribal knowledge to the next generation. She may prefer the Volt now but that green ’uncool' truck will always have a special place in her heart

·
Premium Member
35,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Man, looking at prices for those superchargers and the likes and perhaps I should ask Carid to sponsor a video for the install.
Lots of parts and pipes, etc.. and quality is expensive.. then with that much power.. better engine internals, perhaps an AWD system to put the power down, this can get out of control fast...

·
Premium Member
35,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Though, bare minimum, the vehicle is getting oz wheels, and perhaps the factory radio system plus Bluetooth.. I might re Upholster, with quilting of course

·
Premium Member
35,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I learned on my Dad's 1975 Chevy Monza with a 4-speed stick and base 4 cylinder engine putting out a whopping 68 horsepower. Talk about nail-biting car to learn on - barely had enough power to get going when I had to stop on a hill, I remembered a few times I had to let dad drive when someone stops on the hill close behind me!
68 horses, I bet you some had escaped by the time you were learning. This Celica has over 240K miles, The barn is probably empty

·
Premium Member
35,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
coming back to Celica, I am also very nostalgic about it. We used to have an European rally champion back in the 90's who drove it. All the kids who were petrolheads wanted to be like him.

Growing up in Kenya, I grew up with Safari Rally, man oh man.. I had died and gone to petrol heaven...

·
Premium Member
35,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Cool! Good luck modifying this classic beaute and teaching your kids how to drive.
I think I will keep it simple, Get it clean inside, work on the interior and make it clean, Everything I look at from wheels to turbo kits, superchargers, etc. are more expensive than what I paid for the car. So, Its painful to spend. I think I will try keep it bone stock.

I am looking at a factory radio, perhaps add a sub woofer and throw in Bluetooth to stream, and, those White OZ intergrale wheels , those are really tempting, but all in its over $4000.00, for a car I paid less that $300.00 for, so the option is to go used on everything. Get a Buick Supercharger attached with an intercooler, try and see if I could get used WRC rally wheels for cheap, etc

·
Premium Member
35,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
^^^Wow, your initial euphoria dissipated quickly which is typical once fiscal reality sets in. ENJOY!!

This is my $750 late winter project truck:
View attachment 63489

I currently have about $1200 total into it and it's now roadworthy once again. And...it's a stick!!
This is sweet! is it manual? You can sell it to me and we will be both happy :)

·
Premium Member
35,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I could not ressist, I ordered this, the money pit begins, $338.00 out the door and its not even installed...

Has intake with it, a small intercooler, I know, I will have to find someone to mount it and fix the air fuel mixer tune, but should at least make some power to around 150, and bring the pounds feet of torque up abit.

Meanwhile, I am tempted to comb the junkyards for a used AWD Toyota RAV Manual and transplant the drive train over to my Celica, the only custom part I can see is the rear suspension, probably from the RAV4 and parts of the drive shaft. If I can find one for about $500.00 I will do it, and of course, move my supercharger over.

·
Premium Member
35,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·

This is the inlet that goes to the air cleaner, so, we have to figure out how to mount it with a drive belt and how to feed air from the airbox and back to the trottle, but I had to have the intercooler part to commit, Its an AISIN AMR500 out of a Subaru

·
Premium Member
35,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I really need to hold my horses on spending until the car is smogged though, and the kids learn how to drive, before I go berserk on it.

·
Premium Member
35,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Got my Celica back from the Mechanic yesterday, man oh man.. I need to upload a video.. it’s wicked... hahahaha.. it’s old school fun.. I am living the Bjorn Waldegard ... .Juha .. Kankunen ..all rolled into one.. in a slow .... car..... but it’s lots of fun.....I don’t understand how Toyota got away with selling those cars... but they did.. it’s so fun yet cheap and the ... corners they cut are many.. but fun.. to be had is there.. I had totally forgotten why we loved these cars... this many years later, it’s so much fun to row

1 - 20 of 34 Posts