GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a Pontiac line-up I'd love to see... If you've got any comments or suggestions say it :)

Post yours here!

2010 Pontiac G4 (Weight - 2,700 lbs base)
Base - $17,000 to $20,000
DI 1.8L good for 175 HP
Coupe, Sedan, Hot Hatch.
Short wheelbase (coupe, hatch), regular wheelbase (sedan) RWD Alpha platform
Sporty compact targetting the Civic and Mazda3. Standard 6-spd slick-shifting manual, optional Tapshift 6-spd auto. Sport seats, taut suspension, 17" alloys, power windows/locks/mirrors/StabiliTrak.
GT - $20,000 to $24,000
DI 2.4L good for 220 HP
Coupe, Hot Hatch.
Short wheelbase (coupe, hatch) RWD Alpha platform
Standard HID, 18" wheels wrapped in 245/45/18 summer stickies. Standard 6-spd slick-shifting manual, optional Tapshift 6-spd auto.
GXP - $26,000-$29,000
Turbo DI 2.0L good for 300 HP
Coupe, Hot Hatch
Short wheelbase (coupe, hatch) RWD Alpha platform
More aggressively tuned in suspension that’s dropped around half an inch, larger brakes, standard manual, optional automatic w/ manual mode. Different, slightly more aggressive ground effects - not overdone though. 18" alloys with 265/35/18 rubber. Dual exhaust.

2010 Pontiac G6 (Weight - 3,000 lbs base)
Base - $20,000-$25,000
DI 2.4L good for 220 HP
Sedan, Coupe
Regular wheelbase (coupe), long wheelbase (sedan) RWD Alpha platform
Tight but not harsh suspension, nicely bolstered front buckets. Standard manual, optional Tapshift. Aggressive but clean sheet metal. Driver-oriented dash setup. Well equipped. 17" alloys (245/45/17).
GT - $25,000-$30,000
DI 3.0L good for 280 HP
Sedan, Coupe
Regular wheelbase (coupe), long wheelbase (sedan) RWD Alpha platform
Larger brakes, slightly more aggressive suspension, and standard manual w/ optional Tapshift. Different, slightly more aggressive ground effects - not overdone though. 18" alloys with 265/45/18" summer rubber. Dual exhaust.

2010 Pontiac G8 (Weight - 3,400 lbs base)
Base - $20,000-$25,000
DI 3.6L good for 320 HP
Sedan, Coupe
Short wheelbase (coupe), regular wheelbase (sedan) Zeta II based RWD platform
Mostly as-is, based on the lighter Zeta II platform, optional manual.
GT - $28,000-$35,000
DI 5.7L good for 400 HP
Sedan, Coupe, Ute
Short wheelbase (coupe), regular wheelbase (sedan, ute) Zeta II based RWD platform
Mostly as-is with slightly tighter suspension tuning and optional manual.
GXP - $35,000-$42,000
DI LS3 good for 450 HP
Sedan, Coupe
Slightly more aggressive styling inside and out, more aggressively bolster seats and a tighter suspension, tighter and quicker steering, more powerful cross-drilled Brembo brakes, standard manual with optional Tapshift, 18" front/19" rear wheels (265/35/18 front, 285/35/19 rear summer tires.)

2010 Pontiac Solstice (Weight - 2,600 lbs base)
Base - $23,000-$26,000
DI 2.4L good for 220 HP
Convertible, Coupe
RWD Kappa platform
Light-weight material to keep weight at or below 2800 lbs. Aggressive, sport-tuned suspension. Manual standard, optional Tapshift.
GXP - $27,000-$31,000
DI Turbo 2.0L good for 300 HP
Convertible, Coupe
RWD Kappa platform
Built for racing with a track-tuned suspension, aggressive sport seats, quicker steering ratio, slightly more aggressive styling, lighter-weight material, larger and more aggressive Brembo brakes.

Engines Employed:
----------------------------------------
V8's:
DI LS3's: 1
DI 5.7's: 1

V6's:
DI Aluminum DOHC 3.0's: 1
DI Aluminum DOHC 3.6's: 1

I4's:
DI Ecotec 1.8's: 1
DI Turbo Ecotec 2.0's: 2
DI Ecotec 2.4's: 3

Platforms Employed:
----------------------------------------
Kappa's: 1
Alpha's: 2
Zeta II's: 1

Compare with my Ideal Chevy Lineup...

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Re: My ideal Pontiac lineup

STS based boneville is a bad idea, in my opionion. I can picture it now in a review of the STS (or CTS and SRX for that matter) they say "...but in the end it's just a dressed up pontiac". Especially in this day in age when alot of people look at platform sharing in digust, which I understand to an extent except for when its excuted as perfectly as say the Epsilon platform. But that is beside the fact in this case because even if a sigma based Pontiac was excuted good Caddy needs to keep its distinguished image that it has worked so hard to build.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

GM_Fanatic said:
STS based boneville is a bad idea, in my opionion. I can picture it now in a review of the STS (or CTS and SRX for that matter) they say "...but in the end it's just a dressed up pontiac". Especially in this day in age when alot of people look at platform sharing in digust, which I understand to an extent except for when its excuted as perfectly as say the Epsilon platform. But that is beside the fact in this case because even if a sigma based Pontiac was excuted good Caddy needs to keep its distinguished image that it has worked so hard to build.
Yes, I see your point... I'm not a big fan of Platform sharing, unless the two cars are very different (which is why I think the Torrent needs redesigning a bit to get away from looking like a rebadged Chevy)...

·
Registered
3,465 Posts

oh I definetly have no argument with you on the Torrent but in GM's defense I think the Equinox is a good looking vehicle and a simple rebadge will sell. Crazy people like us might be disappointed at something thats not 100% Pontiac but regardless it should still sell.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

GM_Fanatic said:
oh I definetly have no argument with you on the Torrent but in GM's defense I think the Equinox is a good looking vehicle and a simple rebadge will sell. Crazy people like us might be disappointed at something thats not 100% Pontiac but regardless it should still sell.
Oh, I agree... I really like the Equinox... really helps freshen up the options as far as styling goes for compact crossovers (though there aren't really a whole lot THAT small, but still)... But I think the Torrent would do better for who it's targetting if it was more aggressive looking...

·
Registered
1,351 Posts

My ideal Pontiac line up:

compact- Delta based coupe/sedan possibly based off the Toranna concept. HP (base to top of the line) should be 150-272 and have a sport suspension and low stance. FWD for the "tuner" crowd

Mid-size- the G6 with a mild tweak on the interior and more power under the hood, 200-300 would be good. Lower stance and sport suspension. FWD

Full-size- Grand Prix- Refreshed interior, refreshed taillights. 260-350 hp under the hood. RWD

Wagon- Vibe- new engine, mild refresh of the interior, FWD/AWD

Roadster- Solstice- Nothing to change there from Ive seen so far, RWD

No Mini-vans, full size SUVs allowed. All Pontiacs would be an inch lower then Chevys, have a sport suspension with good shocks and whatnot, and have comparable or better HP then the competition (I compare Pontiac to Nissan rather than BMW). All models should have at least 3 color options on the interior (rahter then the all black interiors I see so much of). All should have race inspired gauges, chrome/brushed metal/wood accents used throughout the interior. And pricing should be comparable to Nissans. All models should have maunal as an option. 4 and 6 speeds for the auto
with manumatics. Pontiac shouldnt worry about hauling familys or making a "sporty" minivan. They should also offer the "mood lighting" Ive seen on the SAAB concepts, that would be awesome and make the cars unique.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

GM_Fanatic said:
Ok, fixed...

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: My ideal Pontiac lineup (Update 1)

I've updated it slightly...

Compare with my Ideal Chevy Lineup...

·
Registered
3,465 Posts

I got a few more suggestions for ya. I like what you changed with the Bonne but I am personally debating if Pointiacs sedans would be better to be RWD all around or add AWD, but definetly add AWD to the vibe. From the sounds of it your version of the G6 has been bumped up alot performace wise but that also makes it way to expensive. I suppose thats where the Pursuit comes in but having the GTO and the "Torana based G6" is a little bit repetitive.
I do love the idea of a compact car based off Kappa, and leave Delta for Chevy and Saturn.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Well, I think alotta people, for what I feel Pontiac should be targetting, would want RWD... AWD I feel should be optional... and ya, good idea... AWD on the Vibe would be great :) But I think, whereas the GTO would be a (coupe) muscle car, the G6 would be a sports sedan/coupe that would blow the Accord V6 and the Mazda6 away... be more Infinity-level performance... But it would be no competition to the GTO, which would eat it alive...

Glad you like the Kappa-based compact idea... they need to use it for something other than just roadsters. (Not that RWD roadsters are bad... but get more usage outta the Kappa... which is an awesome platform...)

·
Registered
3,465 Posts

I wonder though because whenever the solstice and sky are mentioned it’s always said that they are meant to be fairly low volume models. This confuses me because they are priced SO competitively. I understand that maybe the implication is that there is not a large market for small 2 seaters but would it be possible to create this compact car for high volume production and still stay somewhere in the same price range? (I suppose this is what the Torano concept was to some extent) Along the same lines maybe a hardtop coupe/hatch are in the pipeline but they wanted to get this to production as quick as possible so they are releasing the convertible first to get the name out and maybe "test the water". I don’t know, but I do know that I love the idea of more cars based off Kappa!

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

GM_Fanatic said:
I wonder though because whenever the solstice and sky are mentioned it’s always said that they are meant to be fairly low volume models. This confuses me because they are priced SO competitively. I understand that maybe the implication is that there is not a large market for small 2 seaters but would it be possible to create this compact car for high volume production and still stay somewhere in the same price range? (I suppose this is what the Torano concept was to some extent) Along the same lines maybe a hardtop coupe/hatch are in the pipeline but they wanted to get this to production as quick as possible so they are releasing the convertible first to get the name out and maybe "test the water". I don’t know, but I do know that I love the idea of more cars based off Kappa!
Well, remember that Mazda's Miata isn't exactly the biggest seller, though I wouldn't really call it "low volume", either. The same, I think, would go for the Solstice, that the Sky may be less-volume, but I'm not sure because I haven't read it's price nor have I checked into who they're targetting...

·
Registered
44,159 Posts
Re: My ideal Pontiac lineup (Update 2)

Vibe
As is.

G6
Coupe, Sedan, Convertible, Wagon
I4, V6, V6-SC

Grand Prix
Shortened Zeta platform, Sedan Only
V6, V6-SC, V8

Bonneville
Extended Zeta platform, Sedan Only
V6, V8

GTO
Zeta Coupe
V8

Solstice
As is... Turbo 4

Torrent
As is... better engine and suspension systems.

Montana
REstyle the danm thing. And get a better engine in there. Eliminate PhatNoise and install a standard iPod adapeter.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Lineups look great but the Vibe could use some more HPs! I would say base models 180 HPs and the GT versions 250 HPs...nothing wrong with a little dreaming :D

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Arcsvibe said:
Lineups look great but the Vibe could use some more HPs! I would say base models 180 HPs and the GT versions 250 HPs...nothing wrong with a little dreaming :D
If you're refering to my lineup, take a look at what I said about the Vibe...

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Re: My ideal Pontiac lineup (Update 2.5)

IAMCANADIAN said:
FIREBIRD
7.0L 500 HP V8 GTP
8.1L 620 HP V8 TRANS-AM
Isn't that a bit outta Firebird's traditional league of being one or two steps above the 'maro?

EDIT: OMG!!! *pounds head on desk multiple times* I can't believe I forgot to add in the Firebird to my list!!!

There, updated, tne FB is added!

·
Registered
6,054 Posts

AmericanRevolution said:
Isn't that a bit outta Firebird's traditional league of being one or two steps above the 'maro?

EDIT: OMG!!! *pounds head on desk multiple times* I can't believe I forgot to add in the Firebird to my list!!!

I felt that Pontiac needed to be the power leader and i decided to make the GM TRUCK 8.1L V8 an addition but with 620 HP hell even 600 HP is more than enough, something that chevy wouldn't be allowed to offer and of course and all the V8's will have DOD and the mild hybrid found in the trucks.

·
Registered
44,159 Posts

AmericanRevolution said:

What's the use of having a Firebird, when you have the GTO in teh lineup??
I think Solstice and GTO cover much of the lineup already.

If Firebird would ever be resurrected, I would see it as a near-Corvette car... to be sold in the $40K range.

Solstice -- $20K range.
GTO -- $30K range.
Firebird -- $40K range.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts