GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
Zete, I really like your thinking, although I'm not sold on the idea of a Chevy minivan given the competition and comparatively small sales (as far as I'm aware of, correct me if I'm wrong...)

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the trucks/SUV's/CUV's!
Lambda was designed to work for a minivan. GM is foregoing 60k - 100k in minivan sales because they don't have one, yet they have an awesome platform. It's sheer stupidity.

Put the freakin' sliding doors on the Traverse as an option, worst case, and just make it work. I remain amazed at how often GM seems more intent on sending customers to competitors, where it's hard to extract them, as opposed to simply keeping them in the fold from the get go. They truly need some remedial studies on customer retention as they seem to have gotten all their customer focus from the idiots in the cell phone industry who spend more time pandering to new customers while ignoring (at best) existing, loyal customers.

edit: Did a quick look, seems there are about 400k minivan sales in the US per year. So maybe not 100k in sales, but GM could probably garner 50k, which would be a nice chunk of additional Lambda sales.

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
Trucks and SUVs are a bit of a mystery to me. I don't get the fascination of non-tradespeople with them. Much of my family is in the trades so they drive trucks and SUVs, but they also drive cars when not tooling about in their business vehicles (i.e., trucks). Thus I don't understand why a regular joe would buy one, unless he has to haul something regularly (like a boat or camping crap).

I like neither boats nor camping so I have little use for hauling anything. And at my age, I will not be asking friends to ever move anything for me again. I will instead rely on large, muscular men from moving companies who are paid to haul crap about and are properly insured (both medically and for damage). I'd rather pay them, even if pizza for friends is cheaper -- though, since my friends are now more or less my age and of the same persuasion they are about as interested in moving someone else's crap as I am, and they'd hardly be willing to do it for a couple of beers and pizza ;).

Seeing that I'm probably one of the worst people to ask about this I'll simply bow out and say whatever I might think is probably useless, stupid, idiotic or, more probably, insulting to those who use these types of vehicles regularly.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I'd lean to something like this for the cars at least. I'm sure I forgot some :).

• RWD vehicles
    • 2-door variants
      • Monza (130R, but reworked to make it look better), SWB Alpha
      • Camaro (regular Alpha)
      • Chevelle (LWB Alpha)
      • Corvette
    • 4-door variants
      • Bel Air (regular Alpha)
      • Impala (LWB Alpha)
  • FWD vehicles
    • Spark
    • Sonic
    • Cruze
    • Malibu
    • Equinox
    • Traverse
    • Nomad (small van/CUV, to replace HHR)
    • Estate (large minivan)
  • Voltec vehicles
    • Volt 20, Volt 40
    • Volt MP5

The Volt 20 would be a 20-mile e-range Volt. Of course, another solution would be to build a 30 and a 50 as a MCE wherein the 50 uses more modern, high density cells to go 50 miles and a reduced set of cells for going 30 miles. The cost of building two variants should be that big since it's just using more or fewer cells, and if memory serves GM built the Volt's pack to handle such things.
I like Zete's way of thinking too. I'd almost rather see a Nomad done on SWB Alpha (like chaseabryant's excellent chop) though. That, or possibly a Monza wagon.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I've renamed the Caprice, the Skyline. Chevrolet/Chevy Skyline has a ring to it, and I'm one who doesn't wanna have the Impala FWD anymore. So Impala remains RWD, Caprice out to save it from FWD disgrace, and all-new name, Skyline, in for FWD. I also considered a few others, such as the Biscayne, but wasn't sure that would be the right name for this FWD car.

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
I've renamed the Caprice, the Skyline. Chevrolet/Chevy Skyline has a ring to it, and I'm one who doesn't wanna have the Impala FWD anymore. So Impala remains RWD, Caprice out to save it from FWD disgrace, and all-new name, Skyline, in for FWD. I also considered a few others, such as the Biscayne, but wasn't sure that would be the right name for this FWD car.
Isn't' Skyline something most folks think of as a Nissan?

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Damn, how did I not even catch that! LOL! Good call...

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Not sure it would make sense to have that many models that can price out at $25,000 either fully loaded or in base packages. A total of 10 models counting coupes and CUV Equinox. Buick is going to have a larger number of models as well in Regal, Verano and the Encore after basically having no models in the 25K range only 2 or so years ago.

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
Nope, it wouldn't, imho.

I like the Skyline name. Still not sold on returning "impala" to RWD, given the already FWD connections. BUT ... definitely like that the Caprice nameplate is NOT FWD.

BTW ... just noticed you are in Washington ... I drove right by you last year:
https://picasaweb.google.com/knightfan26917/CoastToCoastRoadTripFri06242011Mon07112011

Cort | 38.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker + cowValve | 5 MCs + 1 Caprice Classic
CHD.MCs.CC + RoadTrips.hobbies.RadioShows.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Help me leave behind some reasons to be missed" __ Linkin Park __ 'Leave Out All The Rest'

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
V6 and V8 engine updates have been made, replacing the 330 HP standard 3.6L DI with the "HO" high output versions with 360 HP in certain cars. Some V8's have received 20 HP bumps.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Heavily updated the Malibu Sport, which is now an AWD, 360 HP midsize family sport sedan.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Wayyyy too much over lap man! Three alpha cars, 2 full sized cars? Two segments where there is zero growth.

The Pursuit is the best thing I have heard. Could make for a great way to make waves in Europe.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts