GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I've been looking through the net from concept to concept, from stang to the new vette. All I can say is, where have the pop ups gone? It was one of those ultra cool features that made the Vette so different from every other high end on the market. Anyway, back on subject, how does this idea sound for a concept?

Okay, instead of the base 5.7L, use the Suburban's 8.0L 8100 series. I think it's an 8L anyway. Okay, second step, tune the engine properly. Normally, the suburban's engine runs up to 5000 rpms since it is meant for a truck engine. However, despite this, the motor still produces over 300 hp and over 400 lbs torque and this is all at very low rpm! lol! The 5.7L produces 400/400 but at much higher rpms. See where I am going? How about increasing the 8100 series's rpm limit to 7000 rpms which will bring up the hp and torque considerably since the motor would be allowed to run at higher revs. Match it with a moddified 6 speed manual transmission which should have slightly smaller gears than normal to accomidate for the larger out put. Obviously, the smaller the gears are, the more time you spend in the gear. Afterall, why go through three shifts just to get to 80 mph? Especially with this engine. Put it in a c-6 convertible, add chrome side exhaust that are similar to the original A/C Shelby Cobra 427, and you got one hot ride.

Yeah sure I know some people will look at this post and think of it as spam well, it's my dream so yeah. I just had to let out my idea some where. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Yeah sure I know some people will look at this post and think of it as spam well, it's my dream so yeah. I just had to let out my idea some where.
You're right. There's no way it could match the 50,000 hp / 500 mph Mammoth Car, whether it was made out of the stolen gold or not.

Why doesn't GM build that? Other than the fact that it would melt...

Ghrank

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Ghrankenstein@Dec 3 2003, 07:16 AM
Yeah sure I know some people will look at this post and think of it as spam well, it's my dream so yeah. I just had to let out my idea some where.
You're right. There's no way it could match the 50,000 hp / 500 mph Mammoth Car, whether it was made out of the stolen gold or not.

Why doesn't GM build that? Other than the fact that it would melt...

Ghrank
ROFLAMO! Okay, you didn't have to hit me that hard. Of course a lot of work would have to be done! The susspension would have to be upgrade, the hood enlarged to make room for the new engine, the engine bay would need to be greatly enlarged but custom shops have droped in crate 427s. This engine is only one liter more! Can't hurt to dream right?

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Nah, nah, that wasn't meant as a pick at you, just me being a smart-alek. I think your "dream" is actually quite feasable, and I'd really like to see and hear something like that in a concept.

Dodge builds an 8.2 liter production car, there's no reason why Chevy can't either. In the "so crazy it just might work" category, they showed us an 8.2 liter motorcycle that could practically torque itself on its side. Somebody's prolly got one of those 496 cid monsters in their S-10, Fiero, or whatever anyway, and I'm sure it's a hoot.

Just probably not as much of a hoot as driving The Mammoth Car.

Ghrankenstein

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
and I quote from Office Space

"that is the dumbest idea Ive ever heard"
"Yes, thats is very stupid"

Other then the totaly crazyness of the displacement, why? why make such a huge engine if its gunan guzzle gas and get like 4 mpg when you can make a 500hp 6.4, 6.6L motor and get like 24mpg? Yes, bigger is better, but in this case its called over kill.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Other then the totaly crazyness of the displacement, why? why make such a huge engine if its gunan guzzle gas and get like 4 mpg when you can make a 500hp 6.4, 6.6L motor and get like 24mpg? Yes, bigger is better, but in this case its called over kill.
Bigger is better, and too much is better than plenty. Craziness is cool, and wacky, excessive vehicles are cool. The Dodge Tomahawk was very very cool. Another recent show car had a 13.6 L engine with 1000 horsepower, and it was -said- to be capable of 20 mpg. Maybe, maybe not, but it's also not 4 mpg. It's 6 mpg.

Ghrankenstein

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Originally posted by Ghrankenstein@Dec 3 2003, 10:02 AM
...one of those 496 cid monsters...
Ghrank... wow. Very impressed. If only the other 99.9% of the population knew the 8.1 wasn't a 502...

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Chevrolet already made your dream car - in the late 60s and early 70s. Then, you could option out a big block Vette with a 427 or 454. The current Suburban uses a updated (and enlarged) version of this basic engine. Side pipes were also an option.

With a 4.37 in stroke, it would take a lot of work to get the 8100 to turn 7000 rpms with reliability. It's more of a torque motor than a rever. Plus it is physically larger and heavier than the aluminum small block, which can be enlarged to as much as 427 ci.

But, there is still a small group of people that would likely pay a premium to once again get their hands on a big block Vette. Maybe if the engine was tuned to move peak power to 5500 rpms, it could make decent power and killer torque. It might not ultimately be as fast as an all-out small block, but it would probably pull very hard at nearly any rpm. And there is something to be said for pavement-melting torque!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Tone@Dec 3 2003, 10:19 PM
Chevrolet already made your dream car - in the late 60s and early 70s. Then, you could option out a big block Vette with a 427 or 454. The current Suburban uses a updated (and enlarged) version of this basic engine. Side pipes were also an option.

Yes I know about the Corvette 427s from the mid sixities, the 396's etc, I'm not that slow. I'd like to see a modern version of it however. That's why I brought up this post. What you are saying is like me wanting a good muscle car from Buick even though it's done before, there isn't one currently in production. I love Gran Sports btw. Of course, my idea would be for a very limited edition Corvette. Sort of like the Bullit version of the 2001 Mustang GT I think it was. Only better.

* Edit: I meant for the motor to max out at 7000 rpm, redline 6000 rpm, max hp at about 5000-6000 rpm, and max torque at 3000-4000 rpm. Sorry for that bit of confusion.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Originally posted by StevenJ@Dec 3 2003, 11:15 PM
Yes I know about the Corvette 427s from the mid sixities, the 396's etc, I'm not that slow. I'd like to see a modern version of it however.

* Edit: I meant for the motor to max out at 7000 rpm, redline 6000 rpm, max hp at about 5000-6000 rpm, and max torque at 3000-4000 rpm. Sorry for that bit of confusion.
Hey, no offense meant. I didn't know how aware you were on Corvette history. And the history was key to my point. The big block package probably doesn't have as much performance potential as the next gen small block. But, there is a core group of people who would probably pay a premium for a special edition big block with that "torque all over" feel.

So, we actually agree on that point!

I am still a little confused on your proposed specs, though. You say the engine would "max out" 1000 rpm beyond its redline. Usually, the redline is the maximum designed engine speed - rev 1000 rpm beyond that on a regular basis and something will likely fail.

What an 8100 will be great at is making power all over the place - it won't need to rev too high. A 6000 rpm redline with max power at 5000 - 6000 sounds about right (the truck motor redlines at 5000 rpm in manual transmission form - some development and light weight internals should be able to extend that a little). With the huge displacement and long stroke, I'd expect max torque would be even lower - perhaps in the 2000 - 2500 rpm area. A nice, flat (and high) torque curve would make such a Corvette accelerate hard from any speed in virtually any gear.

Perhaps call it the Mark V engine.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought redlines usually lasted about 1000 rpms or so. I just meant that the maximum the engine should do, before facing serious engien damage, should be 7000 rpm. Of course, shifting would be done probably at 6200 rpm or something like that. I just meant the absolute most the engine could possibly do. Yeah it would be nice if there were a big block package. It would probably cost about $90k -$100k but it would put the Corvette on par with the Dodge Viper with pure displacement. I think that alone is worth a look.

·
Registered
2 Posts
you guys sound as if this idea is crazy and has not been done it yet. There are many 502s Camaros and Corvettes. This is a really popular engine swap. Also, people rev the 502s way beyond 7000 rpms. Factory stock 502s can (without rev limiter) run 7000 rpms for days without breakage. There are many reasons why people love the big blocks. There are 500+ ci engines in almost new Corvettes with superchargers, nitrous and turbochargers which pump out more than 700 or 800hp.
Also, that redline is only a suggestion. Your engine won't break the instant the needle swings into the red. Try it sometime...

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
People may rev 502s way beyond 7000 rpm, but the rated redline is 5800 rpm - see http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/perfparts/imag...df/12371171.pdf.

You may not break your engine the first time you go into the red, but repeated journeys there are stressing internals beyond what they were designed for. Great if you are drag racing and tend to do regular rebuilds anyway, but not so great for your street vehicle.

The whole point of a large displacement motor is you don't need lots of revs to get power - look at low high and broad the torque peak is on the 502. That translates into tire melting power a pretty much any rpm.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Dec 3 2003, 04:08 PM
and I quote from Office Space

"Yes, thats is very stupid"
Correction:

"Yes, that is horrible"

:p

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Here's my dream 'vette.
It's in my local Chevy dealership's showroom (Bolingbrook Chevy has a bunch). It's that deep blue metallic with those chrome wheels. From what is advertised, next year's model will qualify as my dream vette too.

It is the one car that consistantly looks great and has the performance to boot. It needs no aftermarket equipment to set it apart or correct any glitches. Designed and built in the US and an icon of American muscle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts