GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ladies and gentlemen, well it has happen - we have a GM in the family.

My brother and his wife just bought a new 2008 Opel Astra Wagon with the 90hp 1.4l Gas engine. apparently Opel was running a giant sale with about 30% off - so they jumped they gun.

They have been driving an old 1993 Seat Ibiza and the car was running out of its time ... moreover with new twins and their growing needs - they simply outgrew the Ibiza.

I was already promised a drive, so I will report back.

The Astra looks just like this one, but red.

the Ibiza looked just like this one - but in a worse condition and a 5 door:

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
Re: My Brother just bought a GM

You have a "General Motors" in the family? I have an issue when people say, "We have a GM." It just doesn't make sense. GM isn't a brand, per se. GM Product, GM vehicle, GM xxxx makes sense. GM by itself doesn't.

You don't say, "I went to Target and bought a Procter & Gamble." You say, "I went to Target and got Tide."

I feel better now.

And nice car.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Despite Buick's rantings, we welcome him to the GM family.
Gotta get rid of the rims...

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
As for the topic...

Tell your brother congratulations...I must say again...it's refreshing to hear of a GM product purchase on GMI!!!

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Congrats on his new car! I haven't seen the wagon version before and I must say it's nice.

I swear, the Astra must have the most variations than any car on the planet.

- 3-door
- 5-door
- Sedan
- twintop
- pano windshield
- wagon
- SRi/redline
...missing any?

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congrats on his new car! I haven't seen the wagon version before and I must say it's nice.

I swear, the Astra must have the most variations than any car on the planet.

- 3-door
- 5-door
- Sedan
- twintop
- pano windshield
- wagon
- SRi/redline
...missing any?
I think you got all of them - but that wide of a range is nothing unusual for a compact in Europe ... those are the bread and butter cars for most of the automakers, and so a wide variety of options, bodies, and variants are offered.

Remember the 1ts gen US Focus? We had 5 versions (if you count SVT) and now the EU Focus has even wider range (7 models if I count right). And once again - they are not alone.

Igor

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Slovakia -that is where I am from too - but I have lived in US for the past 7 years now - he is still there.

Igor

Cool!!! Dobry Den!!!!!;) My dad's family is from Horni Lidec....in Vsetín...just across the border! I love it there!

·
Banned
8,969 Posts
Igor, your brother seems to be a very educated and savvy buyer.....now what's your problem?? ;)

Tell your bro congrats. Maybe you can invite him here so we can have another European contributer!!

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Re: My Brother just bought a GM

Looks nice! I like the wheels myself, kinda utilitarian.
You have a "General Motors" in the family? I have an issue when people say, "We have a GM." It just doesn't make sense. GM isn't a brand, per se. GM Product, GM vehicle, GM xxxx makes sense. GM by itself doesn't.

You don't say, "I went to Target and bought a Procter & Gamble." You say, "I went to Target and got Tide."

I feel better now.

And nice car.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
they need to bring that TwinTop here ASAP... maybe with a BAS.
+1. Probably when the next generation releases and they build them here in the US.

BTW, for those who live in Europe, how well does the twintop sell?

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
I'd swap a Saturn emblem/grill on it to confuse people

1 - 19 of 19 Posts