GM Inside News Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I knew the fun police were going to try and ruin the electric car because it’s so easy to implement in an EV.

i honestly didn’t think it would happen this soon. I always thought it would take a couple of high speed accidents and the ensuing fireball would be used to garner support to keep us all safe.

·
Banned
3,794 Posts
Remember when the 700 Club was railing against/running down the rise of the "EU" 30 plus years ago; talking about how nothing good would come from them (the EU), but austerity and totalitarianism....

I laughed at the 700 Club, as did a lot of other people....These days I'm not finding the 700 Club so funny with stories like these coming out about what the EU is proposing to do or has done.

·
Registered
9,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
But an old car as backup.
Already in the garage. And by old I am talking 2016 with a nice big V8.
Remember when the 700 Club was railing against/running down the rise of the "EU" 30 plus years ago; talking about how nothing good would come from them (the EU), but austerity and totalitarianism....

I laughed at the 700 Club, as did a lot of other people....These days I'm not finding the 700 Club so funny with stories like these coming out about what the EU is proposing to do or has done.
I'm afraid the EU is just showing us a precursor of what will happen everywhere unfortunately. A couple of high speed crashes with a wicked fire and the People Against Fast Cars or the like will show up and want answers.

At that point makes them cubes with no windows and couches right along with full autonomy to keep us al safe. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
For now. That's called getting your foot in the door.

You have way more confidence in government than I do.
Trust in government is a function of who's running said government, what their ideology is and what their agenda may be. There is more than ample reason to be concerned with the future direction of US government over the next few years.

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
Because you have it installed it does not prevent you from overriding it, you can still override it after it resets it self every time you turn the ignition off, or you can still disable override it by touching the accelerator pedal.

In addition to the fitment of speed limiting systems, the European Parliament wants all new cars equipped with technology to monitor driver drowsiness and how distracted they are, as well as other safety tech, such as reversing assistance, lane-keep assist and a data logger.

A data-logging system will capture and record what the car is doing up to and during crashes, and will help determine what caused the accident.

Under new UK law (Coming into force in July this month for speed limiters) If you disable the speed limiter, you automatically disable your car insurance cover as well. So if you were over the speed limit have an accident, you will be held accountable liable to pay for all damages out of your own pocket whether the accident was your fault or not, insurance companies will check out your data-logger to see what mode your speed limiter was in at the time of the accident.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Wow, a reason to actually appreciate my stage of life, and that I'm not looking at a life-long future of being spied-upon and 'disabled for the good of others'.

I need to find a real nice mid-'60s full-size and have it retro-modded with some upgrades, but gleefully thumbing it's nose at modern stuff trying to communicate with it / the satellites trying to get a bead on it.
Outerwear Military person Vehicle Military uniform Marines

·
Registered
21,448 Posts
I don't see this as an electric vehicle thing, I'm sure the same can be done to an ICE powered vehicle.... Both of my cars already know what the speed limit is on the road and display it. The Volvo annoyingly flashes the speed limit when you exceed it, but at least it is a small visual flashing away on the dash. Just a little software programming away from limiting my ICE vehicles speed on a given road.

·
Premium Member
36,494 Posts

Klaus Schwab in his address to the Politburo aëlready said what Europeans are not allowed to do

·
Registered
2,755 Posts

Perhaps they knew about the Rockefeller Foundation activities and the writings of the intelligentsia figures such as Julian? Huxley and Bertrand Russell.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,897 Posts
Meh, I don't need something that can do 60 in 2 seconds.
Actually, a 6.5 second ELR is fast enough for me. Very little gas used, no range anxiety.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I don't see this as an electric vehicle thing, I'm sure the same can be done to an ICE powered vehicle.... Both of my cars already know what the speed limit is on the road and display it. The Volvo annoyingly flashes the speed limit when you exceed it, but at least it is a small visual flashing away on the dash. Just a little software programming away from limiting my ICE vehicles speed on a given road.
You are absolutely correct. It never ceases to amaze me how people can get all worked up over the nefarious potential for technology that has been in cars--possibly the cars that they own--for a decade or more. The following is an ABC News TV report about a 2009 demonstration of technology that allows the police to stop your vehicle:

No EVs involved.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
15,032 Posts
My Equinox does almost all of that too, but my fathers Colorado takes it a step farther and a beep beep beep whenever you exceed the speed limit. I tease him about it being his overspeed warning :D.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
15,032 Posts
You are absolutely correct. It never ceases to amaze me how people can get all worked up over the nefarious potential for technology that has been in cars--possibly the cars that they own--for a decade or more. The following is an ABC News TV report about a 2009 demonstration of technology that allows the police to stop your vehicle:

No EVs involved.
Yes and with ONSTAR and things they know more about me and my habits that I care/want to think about, point in fact all the times my warnings go off :oops: when I do something wrong(lane keep, speed, collision alert and other nannies) :giggle: 😁.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.