GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As some of you know. my father spontaneously (at least to me, he's had this planned out for a while) got me a Solstice GXP as a gift. The same people also know that I got a bit bummed out after seeing the Solstice Targa photo the same day my dad told me about the car. I prefer coupes because of their looks, but mostly for their increased structural rigidity. My dad would have preferred for me to have one also because of their protection during rollovers. So when I saw the targa I almost wished my dad had waited a little while longer before getting me the car, and I'm sure he would have preferred it if I had the coupe as opposed to the convertible.

Well, I just got the pictures from my brother in Jersey and all I can say is that I am bummed no more. This car is just way too damn beautiful to me for me to be thinking about woulda-coulda-shoulda's. I haven't been this happy since me and my girlfriend started going out, though that definitely was bigger and more life-changing event than this.

Nonetheless, here are the pics that I can't stop looking at. I expect half of the posts to be "ooh nice car" and the other half to be "meh, the Sky is better". I'll take better pics once I see it in person.

BTW, the bald guy with the red shirt is the man that made this all happen. Mad props to him. The one in blue is a great friend of the family. I would have taken the pictures out but I liked the shots of the cars in them.

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
Enjoy it it good health.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice!

GXP & 5-speed as well, good choices.
Thanks. Your new choice of vehicle isn't too shabby either. :cool:

At first my dad didn't want me to have a manual because he felt that I should get some experience in driving an automatic before I took the leap. I told him that I would rather wait until he thought I was ready and get the Solstice with a manual than support the blasphemy that is an automatic sports car. I wanted it bad, but not bad enough to butcher the experience.

I was willing to settle for the 2.4 as that's still one hell of a car, but it had to be manual.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice ride man...nice ride. Ill have my eyes peeled for a black GXP in the area.
Hey thanks a lot.

Its actually Deep blue, but now that you mention that, I can see how the blue walls can make it seem like a black car with a reflection.

I can't tell you how torn I was between Mysterious (black) or Deep. I think every car looks better in black and gives is sort of a sleek, stealth, "mysterious" look to it (just look at my avatar), but i thought the blue added some color to an otherwise all black car. Not to mention the blue lends itself better to any black aftermarket wheels that I may decide to get for it, though I have more important thing to save up for like racing school.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Congrats. Put on a few miles then post a review for us.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
congratulations man. You've got a beautiful powerful car for use, don't crash it.
I imagine what my father would say if I wanted a Pontiac: 'I will never buy you American crap, but I can buy You a beautiful VW Golf or Mercedes A-Class, if You earn half of the money for it' hahaha :D. Once again congratulations. Big thank You to the man in red :worship:

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
looks great, is that a black or tan top? I've driven those GXP Solstice's and their fast, once you master the 1-2 shift with the turbo and lower rpm's you'll be fine. I remember having some trouble with that last summer, but once you get the hang of it, no issues. The boost just builds like no other! Take mucho pictures and let us know how the stereo/dash layout is...also how bad the switch placement/cupholders bug (or don't bug) you.

CobaltSS

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I find it hard to understand how someone whos father is buying them an expensive sportscar can be "bummed" because it's not the right model....if my parents bought me a new Solstice and I complained about the top...they'd take it back, but it wouldn't be to buy me a different one....lol

Anyway, spoiledness beside, that is a stunningly beautiful car, much better than the "I like it in the Ass Yellow" GXP running around here.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I find it hard to understand how someone whos father is buying them an expensive sportscar can be "bummed" because it's not the right model....
If you read it carefully you'd see that I didn't complain about anything. Nowhere did I say "I got the car, but its the wrong color, and the wheels are wrong, and the top is black, and the seats are red, and..." etc . Both me and my father would have preferred if I had gotten the Targa, but I made it perfectly clear that I am completely ecstatic about this car. Every time I scroll through the pictures I just get all giddy. Of course, you just had to make it seem like I'm some spoiled teen who thinks Daddy should get him everything. More power to you.

I'll be the first to say that I don't deserve such a car. But do I appreciate it? Absolutely. It's been my dream car since it was a concept. I owe my father big time for this one. He at retirement age, but I just hope I can get my career going so I can get him the car he's always wanted while he can still enjoy it.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
If you read it carefully you'd see that I didn't complain about anything. Nowhere did I say "I got the car, but its the wrong color, and the wheels are wrong, and the top is black, and the seats are red, and..." etc . Both me and my father would have preferred if I had gotten the Targa, but I made it perfectly clear that I am completely ecstatic about this car. Every time I scroll through the pictures I just get all giddy. Of course, you just had to make it seem like I'm some spoiled teen who thinks Daddy should get him everything. More power to you.

I'll be the first to say that I don't deserve such a car. But do I appreciate it? Absolutely. It's been my dream car since it was a concept. I owe my father big time for this one. He at retirement age, but I just hope I can get my career going so I can get him the car he's always wanted while he can still enjoy it.
Well appreciating it is what is important. I'm glad you do, and it's nice to see you admit that you don't deserve something just because you want it :)

You have to understand that 99% of the time 18 year olds with a brand new sports car are exactly the opposite of that, and that's why I was quick to jump on it.

Sorry if i seemed rude, and i hope you do get to do that for your dad, that would be great, just don't go getting too many tickets now...

Enjoy it, it's gorgeous.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
you lucky SOB. im like you, i prefer coupes but this is one of the few convertibles i truely like. and as for looks i think the solstice looks much better

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well appreciating it is what is important. I'm glad you do, and it's nice to see you admit that you don't deserve something just because you want it :)

You have to understand that 99% of the time 18 year olds with a brand new sports car are exactly the opposite of that, and that's why I was quick to jump on it.

Sorry if i seemed rude, and i hope you do get to do that for your dad, that would be great, just don't go getting too many tickets now...

Enjoy it, it's gorgeous.
It's ok. I understand where you're coming from. Too many times do I see kids my age driving car like these and I think the same thing you said. Now I've become what I've criticized. The difference is that I didn't want the car for me to be flashy in font of people. I wanted it for me. If there was no one else on the planet I would still want this car exactly the way it is in the pictures, while some get it to make a statement.

In a way I'm a little worried about driving this car because of all the looks and stares I may get. And one of those stares may become criminal. I need to be very careful with this car. I get enough stares as an 18 year old driving my moms old STS, which is a pretty ordinary car. I can't imagine what it'll be like with this.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts