GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,199 Posts
I'd guess that's a taar issue. Stock is 225/55/19 but so far I'm not seeing brand/type. This pig weighs 4400-4900 according to Dr. Internet. They should rename it the Feral Pig e.

·
Registered
21,147 Posts
OK, so 43 is "reelie-bah" and 46 "is-ah, reelie-gouh"?

Now, hit the Moose at 45 MPH with each!

·
Registered
21,147 Posts
Interesting, watch the entire video.

·
Premium Member
36,199 Posts
I think this test is designed more to grab headlines than give an accurate assessment of a vehicle's evasion capability. Fully loaded to the max with passengers and luggage? When's the last time anyone on here drove a vehicle like that? And of course it puts the PUTs at a yooj disadvantage. I can't remember the last time I had a full load. Decades.

I did spin out my family's '62 Caddy while hauling ass on the interstate with six people aboard. What happens is you get rapid onset unexpected oversteer, which most drivers never experience and therefore do not know what to do with, and the ass end comes around. Fortunately I caught it quickly enough to right the ship and just go off onto the shoulder.
I didn't smell any sheet from the back seat so I guess all were OK. This was pre-seat belt era of course.
That could have turned out a whole lot worse than it did. Just a little excitement and a war story.

The original 'stangs weighed 2500-3000 pounds. My bud bought a '71 Mach 1, 429 I think, that weighed about 3700. So this is progress.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Hope Greta is not reading this, all those mooses killing bumping off electric cars

Fit some decent truck bull bars to the Mach e for crash tests, Ford cheapskates

·
Registered
18,981 Posts
Interesting, watch the entire video.

I'm surprised the Mustang E fails with the weight down low, the very reason the Tesla does well.

I wonder how GM's magnetic ride control equipped cars will perform in the test as they cite the Citroen as the best ever results, I know it is different tech, but they seem to have similar goals.

I'd say the moral of the story is that the world throws unexpected things at you, your car can't be designed to handle all of them.

·
Registered
21,147 Posts
I'm surprised the Mustang E fails with the weight down low, the very reason the Tesla does well.

I wonder how GM's magnetic ride control equipped cars will perform in the test as they cite the Citroen as the best ever results, I know it is different tech, but they seem to have similar goals.

I'd say the moral of the story is that the world throws unexpected things at you, your car can't be designed to handle all of them.
As caveman pointed out; "Fully loaded to the max with passengers and luggage"

Many "normal" vehicles also failed this test.

I wonder what the Mustang EV GVW is?

Model Y:
Curb Weight* Long Range Battery, Dual Motor: 4,416 lbs
GVWR** Long Range Battery, Dual Motor: 5,302 lbs

Reactions: BlackGTP

·
Registered
18,981 Posts
As caveman pointed out; "Fully loaded to the max with passengers and luggage"

Many "normal" vehicles also failed this test.

I wonder what the Mustang EV GVW is?

Model Y:
Curb Weight* Long Range Battery, Dual Motor: 4,416 lbs
GVWR** Long Range Battery, Dual Motor: 5,302 lbs
Definitely fully loaded is a problem. Back in the day I never liked driving all of the guys around when I had my '89 Cavalier Z24. With four or five guys in it the car was all over the place (no, I wasn't drinking) - hard to handle and certainly didn't like cornering. I've no doubt it will have failed the moose test miserably.

Definitely - I heard the part about most cars failing. I was assuming BEV's would do better with the batteries being low down and simply wondering what the specific difference is between the Ford vs, the Tesla. I assume it's something in the suspension tuning on the Mustang-E vs. the Tesla.

Mach-E weighs about 4,600 lbs and the base is ~4,400.

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
stock tires on Mach E are trash...assuming it's those low rolling resistance tires combined with how freaking skinny they are...its not surprise that it failed a high speed maneuverability test.

·
Premium Member
36,199 Posts
Overweight car, under-tired with likely mediocre all-season tires, plus car is overloaded. As I said, these tests have gotten a lot of attention but IMO they're all about headlines and PR. There's nothing realistic about these. How about test with average weight male and female in front seats, hey what a crazy idea.

If I were a maker who got trashed by these tests--that appears to cover almost everyone except Roller and Bentley--I'd do my own realistic tests and publish a refutation.

I remembered. I think. Last time I had a full load was in my Rover 2000 with five people aboard, running around upstate NY in 1969. So this is not a typical load, for me and for most of GMI drivers either. Why has nobody called baloney on this yet?

Load capacity for e is 850 lbs. So you get 720 for two male two female average weight 'murricans, and 130 in the trunk. Yes, 'murricans are heavy. 190/170 are the rough figures I've found on algore's amazing internet.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Overweight car, under-tired with likely mediocre all-season tires, plus car is overloaded. As I said, these tests have gotten a lot of attention but IMO they're all about headlines and PR. There's nothing realistic about these. How about test with average weight male and female in front seats, hey what a crazy idea.

If I were a maker who got trashed by these tests--that appears to cover almost everyone except Roller and Bentley--I'd do my own realistic tests and publish a refutation.

I remembered. I think. Last time I had a full load was in my Rover 2000 with five people aboard, running around upstate NY in 1969. So this is not a typical load, for me and for most of GMI drivers either. Why has nobody called baloney on this yet?

Load capacity for e is 850 lbs. So you get 720 for two male two female average weight 'murricans, and 130 in the trunk. Yes, 'murricans are heavy. 190/170 are the rough figures I've found on algore's amazing internet.
I believe the Mach E was tested with smallest tire (225) and heaviest battery choice
were the Euro testers trying to make a point with the Tesla tested with 255 tires?
Maybe as you mentioned, Mach E supplied with wider standard tires and rerun test…

1 - 20 of 36 Posts