GM Inside News Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 1972 Chevy Nova
3,625 Posts
No war crime - just retribution for the unprovoked attack on the US at Pearl Harbor.
The Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings were most definitely war crimes. The fact those bombings made no distinction between combatants and non-combatants or between military installations and civilian communities made them illegal according to the Hague Conventions of 1899 and 1907. However, the Allied victory ultimately prevented prosecution of U.S. military personnel involved in the incidents.

General LeMay himself even said, "If we'd lost the war, we'd all have been prosecuted as war criminals." Robert McNamara later said of LeMay, "And I think he's right. He, and I'd say I, were behaving as war criminals. LeMay recognized that what he was doing would be thought immoral if his side had lost. But what makes it immoral if you lose and not immoral if you win?"

Also, the attack on Pearl Harbor is only indirectly connected to the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings. The former took place in 1941; the latter in 1945.

·
Registered
44,058 Posts
But Mazda — the 13th-ranked carmaker in America — was one of just three to increase sales last year. The critical accolades piled up, as well. U.S. News and World Report, for the fifth year, made Mazda its Best Car Brand. Every one of its new models that the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety tested was a Top Safety Pick, more than any other brand. It ranked No. 1 in a Consumer Reports survey on the most reliable new vehicles. And then this year, Mazda received the top spot in that magazine’s coveted Brand Report Card, based on a combined score that measures “road-test performance, predicted reliability, owner satisfaction and safety.”
So the 3 manufacturers to actually increase sales last year were: Mazda, Tesla, and Volvo. Just an odd mix right there.

Anyways: TLDR — Mazda bucked the trend by focusing on differentiating and innovating on their product in a crowded marketplace, ultimately cultivating a product that stands out on its merits of technology, innovation, reliability, and distinctiveness.

Oh yeah... Mazda sold 526 more cars in 2020 over 2019.

I like Mazda. I like what they've done with their brand post-Ford. I wished my dad had gotten one, but he ended up with a Lexus that he loves.

·
Registered
44,058 Posts
The Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings were most definitely war crimes. The fact those bombings made no distinction between combatants and non-combatants or between military installations and civilian communities made them illegal according to the Hague Conventions of 1899 and 1907. However, the Allied victory ultimately prevented prosecution of U.S. military personnel involved in the incidents.

General LeMay himself even said, "If we'd lost the war, we'd all have been prosecuted as war criminals." Robert McNamara later said of LeMay, "And I think he's right. He, and I'd say I, were behaving as war criminals. LeMay recognized that what he was doing would be thought immoral if his side had lost. But what makes it immoral if you lose and not immoral if you win?"

Also, the attack on Pearl Harbor is only indirectly connected to the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings. The former took place in 1941; the latter in 1945.
Hence the adage, "History is written by the victors."
Or even "Inter arma enim silent leges."

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Mazda sells a fraction of the cars that the other manufacturers sell. Its not really surprising that the pandemic would have less effect due to their sales volume.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Thank you all for the History lesson. Never knew any of that stuff.
By the way - In my opinion, the Mazda 6 is indeed the best looking mid-sizer and the new Kia K5 is a close second. Ford Fusion was the best looking in third to me and I thought the refresh made it look more upscale. Especially in the grill and the trunk lid area. Camry looks nice for the first time in forever but the Accord gives me spaceship vibes.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Mazda sells a fraction of the cars that the other manufacturers sell. Its not really surprising that the pandemic would have less effect due to their sales volume.
Which got me really thinking, what makes a successful automaker? Do they need to sell millions worldwide like Toyota/Honda/GM/etc...or are they perfectly fine making their little niche of automobiles that cater to the enthusiast market & those who take a chance and stop by/test drive a Mazda...because once you do, you almost immediately get hooked like I did.

I like Mazda for who they are, they're an affordable alternative to those who want just a little bit more than mainstream that also isn't worried about being the most technically advanced and overly complicated thing on the market. They feel "pure" in a sense...and I like that.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Which got me really thinking, what makes a successful automaker?
Earning first place in Consumer Reports' automotive brand rankings indicates success.

·
Premium Member
34,057 Posts
+1
Mazda is based in Hiroshima, and played a pivotal role in rebuilding the city after it was nuked (which incidentally was a massive war crime by any standard).
Whose standard are you talking about? You need to sit down and watch war footage in the Pacific. Nippon was begging to be Nuked.
Why do you think the Philippines, Chainah and Korea to this day will not make peace with Nippon ? They had lost the war, and still would not surrender. Their skies were swarming with B29's, and I mean swarming, thousands of them, every night, not 2000 , no, thousands, as in 10,000 planes or more every night, bombers, if you throw in fighters, it was insane.. an armada of ships as far as the eye can see, in Okinawa, Tarawa, Iwo Jima, Almost every Nipponese Soldier had to be shot dead, shot dead, before the battle could end, what option did the Allies have? The Imperial Nipponese Navy was completely gone...

An invasion of Nippon would have wiped them off. All of them. Nuking was the only viable option to get them a message they could understand. That they could be killed without them killing in turn.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Whose standard are you talking about? You need to sit down and watch war footage in the Pacific. Nippon was begging to be Nuked.
Why do you think the Philippines, Chainah and Korea to this day will not make peace with Nippon ? They had lost the war, and still would not surrender. Their skies were swarming with B29's, and I mean swarming, thousands of them, every night, not 2000 , no, thousands, as in 10,000 planes or more every night, bombers, if you throw in fighters, it was insane.. an armada of ships as far as the eye can see, in Okinawa, Tarawa, Iwo Jima, Almost every Nipponese Soldier had to be shot dead, shot dead, before the battle could end, what option did the Allies have? The Imperial Nipponese Navy was completely gone...

An invasion of Nippon would have wiped them off. All of them. Nuking was the only viable option to get them a message they could understand. That they could be killed without them killing in turn.
My dad was a pilot in the Pacific theater. He flew Lockheed Ventura patrol bombers (like Mitchell B-25's and it was job to strafe munitions supply trains. The Japanese were using human shields -- women, children, men, the elderly, you name it-- on these trains. Seeing the bodies fly. It was so wrong. It had to end.

What was more questionable was the sadistic punitive bombings of Dresden by the Allies, and the massacres of innocent Germans by the Soviets, or the what is going in now before our eyes, aided and abetted by the population.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
The Hague conventions do not ban atomic weapons or their use.
1899 Convention, Section II, Chapter 1:
  • Article 23 prohibits "arms, projectiles, or material of a nature to cause superfluous injury"
  • Article 25 prohibits "attack or bombardment of towns, villages, habitations or buildings which are not defended"
The Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings were in conflict with these provisions.

·
Registered
520 Posts
If the nuke hadn't worked, a contingency plan was already in place to send ground troops to Japan with generals estimating as many as up to 500,000 lost American lives.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Anyway...back to Mazda and not WW2, because quite frankly IDGAF. Drive one, you'll love it...from the bottom of the range on up....but there is one thing....DO NOT BUY SOUL RED!!!! It'll chip if you breathe on it, I had mine repainted under warranty about a year ago and I'm way better off, but the hassle of dealing w/ getting it resprayed straight up sucks. Otherwise, its been mechanically perfect and it is a pure pleasure to drive.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Which got me really thinking, what makes a successful automaker? Do they need to sell millions worldwide like Toyota/Honda/GM/etc...or are they perfectly fine making their little niche of automobiles that cater to the enthusiast market & those who take a chance and stop by/test drive a Mazda...because once you do, you almost immediately get hooked like I did.

I like Mazda for who they are, they're an affordable alternative to those who want just a little bit more than mainstream that also isn't worried about being the most technically advanced and overly complicated thing on the market. They feel "pure" in a sense...and I like that.
Mazda has some nice cars and the people who have them seem to love them. Volume is great if you are making a profit, but as we know...GM had the volume but was losing money. Mary Bara did the right thing in getting rid of Opel and Vauxhal among other sacrifices. Sedans are gone for now...but who knows that may change with Ultium and the adaptability it will provide.

·
Registered
44,058 Posts

It depends on your success criteria, ultimately.

Boutique manufacturers can sell in small quantities and still be quite successful. Just look at Tesla, Porsche, Land Rover. They have found their individual niches and make successful products for their niches. Neither are all that high volume either.
You don't have to sell over 1M vehicles to be successful.

Mazda seems to have found a niche that makes it viable against Honda and Toyota and still differentiated enough from Hyundai and VW.

·
Registered
6 Posts
During WWII - Mazda (then under a different name) produced military weapons for the Japanese Army, which were used to kill US service members.
Henry Ford was a Nazi sympathizer who received the highest honor ever bestowed upon a civilian, Ford and GM (Opel) trucks and tanks were a huge asset to Nazi Germany's rebuilding of their military. This is irrelevant to the subject at hand.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts