GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The New York Times
May 28, 2021

The pandemic crushed new-vehicle sales last year in the United States, with behemoths like Ford Motor, General Motors and Honda all posting double-digit sales declines. Altogether, the sales slide reached 15 percent, with under 14.5 million new cars hitting American roads, down from a five-year average of around 17 million.

But Mazda — the 13th-ranked carmaker in America — was one of just three to increase sales last year. The critical accolades piled up, as well. U.S. News and World Report, for the fifth year, made Mazda its Best Car Brand. Every one of its new models that the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety tested was a Top Safety Pick, more than any other brand. It ranked No. 1 in a Consumer Reports survey on the most reliable new vehicles. And then this year, Mazda received the top spot in that magazine’s coveted Brand Report Card, based on a combined score that measures “road-test performance, predicted reliability, owner satisfaction and safety.”

"When I worked at another auto company, the engineers were taught that value was performance divided by cost,” said Jeff Guyton, president and chief executive of Mazda’s North American operations. “The first day that a Mazda engineer comes to work, he or she is taught that value is performance divided by weight.

“That’s a totally different mind-set,” he continued. “And we do that because weight is the enemy of cost. But it’s also the enemy of fun-to-drive, and it’s also the enemy of fuel economy. So if we judge value as performance divided by weight, we should be able to tackle all of those things.”

Mazda’s unique perspective has deep roots. The company, which was founded as a cork-maker in 1920 in Hiroshima, has always been something of an outlier.

“Historically, Mazda has been pretty small, pretty independent, and geographically they’re not located in the heart of Japan, where most of the big car companies are, so I think that has also afforded them a bit of that independent thinking,” said Dave Yuan, senior editor of Japanese Nostalgic Car, a website for American fans of Japanese cars. “Their very first vehicle was a racing motorcycle, to challenge the dominance of the big British bike brands.”

Mr. Yuan credits Mazda’s focus on “courageous” engineering for its distinct perspective. "They tend not to be bound by a lot of the industry conventions,” he said. “They’re always going to try and seek out things that they believe are the right technology.” This includes, most famously, early and current efforts to tame and maximize the Wankel rotary engine, a high-revving, compact engine with a potent power-to-weight ratio — and inherent difficulties with fuel efficiency, oil consumption and tailpipe emissions. Mazda engineers are working on using the rotary as an onboard generator for their first electric car, the MX-30, where low-stress running conditions would allow it to operate quietly and efficiently.
This spirit also encompasses Mazda’s dedication to what Mr. Yuan calls “signature philosophies,” such as “what makes a car drive well, and what makes a car enjoyable to drive.”

Many resulting adaptations — the placement of gas, brake and clutch pedals; the position of seat backs; the way an engine builds power under a hard turn — don’t show up on spec sheets. But in day-to-day driving, they imbue Mazdas with a sense of refinement and delight.

“They really feel like a boutique, artisanal, intricately thought-out product,” Mr. Yuan said.

This dedication to keeping Mazda Mazda will be crucial for the automaker’s future. “Subaru has been true to themselves, and they’ve been able to grow every year, even through the 2008 recession,” Mr. Edwards said. “Mazda’s really been true to who they are, and if communicated properly, with their enhancements, they are a competitor coming out of the pandemic.”

·
Premium Member
8,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
"When I worked at another auto company, the engineers were taught that value was performance divided by cost,” said Jeff Guyton, president and chief executive of Mazda’s North American operations. “The first day that a Mazda engineer comes to work, he or she is taught that value is performance divided by weight.
One day...a new Miata in the driveway.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Mazda doesn't have an independent electric vehicle program.

It joined Toyota in a joint venture to design and engineer electric vehicles where Mazda owns 5%,Subaru owns 5% and Toyota owns 90%.

Eventually, Toyota will swalo Mazda and Subaru.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,348 Posts
Yes, Mazda in their uniqueness and way of things does seem to do quite well, even in times like this. And I think that little Miata is neat and quite sexy even. :)

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Dang man, that's beautiful.
Thanks...hands down one of the best looking midsize sedans in my opinion. I put it tied with
the Camry in only the white/black red color combo:

·
Registered
12,348 Posts
Thanks...hands down one of the best looking midsize sedans in my opinion. I put it tied with
the Camry in only the white/black red color combo:

View attachment 63772
Yes. I've had the same opinion on the Mazda ever since this version debuted. Hands down the looker in the segment. Camry too because they tried to do something different with the lagging sedan market and it is working, unlike gm and Ford throwing in the towel.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Yes. I've had the same opinion on the Mazda ever since this version debuted. Hands down the looker in the segment. Camry too because they tried to do something different with the lagging sedan market and it is working, unlike gm and Ford throwing in the towel.
Messed up part is that the Fusion actually looked good until they botched that second refresh for 2019...the 2017-18s were gorgeous especially in Platinum and Titanium...there is one catch, they all had this hollow "rental car" cheap feeling though regardless of trim same for the Camry. The Mazda OTOH along w/ the Accord have this "solid" feeling, and I'm still skeptical of the H/K twins and I really don't like the front end styling of the Sonata.

·
Registered
7,338 Posts
My Mazda 3 is going on 8 years now, but only 40,000 miles.
I would love the little bugger but the tranny is wonky (was replaced once under warranty) and the ride on bad roads is awful.

·
Premium Member
34,058 Posts
I find the current Malibu to be very good looking outside, the inside is a letdown, they could have fixed it

·
Registered
12,348 Posts
I find the current Malibu to be very good looking outside, the inside is a letdown, they could have fixed it
Yeah, but it took me a year or so to really warm up to it. I may have been in one but my back with metal in it and joints can't handle these swoopy cars any more.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Yes, Mazda in their uniqueness and way of things does seem to do quite well, even in times like this. And I think that little Miata is neat and quite sexy even. :)
Agreed but I'll get frowns for saying that around the Corvette crowd. If the Mustang gets totalled this would be in the list.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Mazda has the best looking mainstream lineup, top to bottom. My friend loves his 6. My wife has always wanted a 2-seat convertible, so toying with getting her a Miata. Not only does it look good, but its cheap enough to be a third car and store for the winter w/out worry about it.

Reactions: sdotjeezy

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
The New York Times
May 28, 2021

View attachment 63755

The pandemic crushed new-vehicle sales last year in the United States, with behemoths like Ford Motor, General Motors and Honda all posting double-digit sales declines. Altogether, the sales slide reached 15 percent, with under 14.5 million new cars hitting American roads, down from a five-year average of around 17 million.

But Mazda — the 13th-ranked carmaker in America — was one of just three to increase sales last year. The critical accolades piled up, as well. U.S. News and World Report, for the fifth year, made Mazda its Best Car Brand. Every one of its new models that the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety tested was a Top Safety Pick, more than any other brand. It ranked No. 1 in a Consumer Reports survey on the most reliable new vehicles. And then this year, Mazda received the top spot in that magazine’s coveted Brand Report Card, based on a combined score that measures “road-test performance, predicted reliability, owner satisfaction and safety.”

“That’s a totally different mind-set,” he continued. “And we do that because weight is the enemy of cost. But it’s also the enemy of fun-to-drive, and it’s also the enemy of fuel economy. So if we judge value as performance divided by weight, we should be able to tackle all of those things.”

Mazda’s unique perspective has deep roots. The company, which was founded as a cork-maker in 1920 in Hiroshima, has always been something of an outlier.

“Historically, Mazda has been pretty small, pretty independent, and geographically they’re not located in the heart of Japan, where most of the big car companies are, so I think that has also afforded them a bit of that independent thinking,” said Dave Yuan, senior editor of Japanese Nostalgic Car, a website for American fans of Japanese cars. “Their very first vehicle was a racing motorcycle, to challenge the dominance of the big British bike brands.”

Mr. Yuan credits Mazda’s focus on “courageous” engineering for its distinct perspective. "They tend not to be bound by a lot of the industry conventions,” he said. “They’re always going to try and seek out things that they believe are the right technology.” This includes, most famously, early and current efforts to tame and maximize the Wankel rotary engine, a high-revving, compact engine with a potent power-to-weight ratio — and inherent difficulties with fuel efficiency, oil consumption and tailpipe emissions. Mazda engineers are working on using the rotary as an onboard generator for their first electric car, the MX-30, where low-stress running conditions would allow it to operate quietly and efficiently.
This spirit also encompasses Mazda’s dedication to what Mr. Yuan calls “signature philosophies,” such as “what makes a car drive well, and what makes a car enjoyable to drive.”

Many resulting adaptations — the placement of gas, brake and clutch pedals; the position of seat backs; the way an engine builds power under a hard turn — don’t show up on spec sheets. But in day-to-day driving, they imbue Mazdas with a sense of refinement and delight.

“They really feel like a boutique, artisanal, intricately thought-out product,” Mr. Yuan said.

This dedication to keeping Mazda Mazda will be crucial for the automaker’s future. “Subaru has been true to themselves, and they’ve been able to grow every year, even through the 2008 recession,” Mr. Edwards said. “Mazda’s really been true to who they are, and if communicated properly, with their enhancements, they are a competitor coming out of the pandemic.”

During WWII - Mazda (then under a different name) produced military weapons for the Japanese Army, which were used to kill US service members.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 1972 Chevy Nova
3,626 Posts
...and we nuked them - TWICE. I think we can call it even.
+1
Mazda is based in Hiroshima, and played a pivotal role in rebuilding the city after it was nuked (which incidentally was a massive war crime by any standard).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts