1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
Cadillac XT5 Forum

Motor Trend

February 22, 2015

Article Quotes:

Another prototype for the Cadillac SRX replacement has been spotted testing. With the new model, Cadillac’s midsize crossover will adopt the automaker’s new nomenclature that uses XT as the prefix for its crossover and SUV models. The SRX replacement is expected to be called Cadillac XT5 when it arrives for the 2017 model year.

Although the current second-generation SRX is based on a unique chassis derived from GM’s Epsilon II architecture, the 2017 Cadillac XT5 will move to the upcoming Chi platform. With the new flexible architecture, the XT5 is rumored to be available in two wheelbases. The shorter version will be called C1UL, while the stretched variant will be called C1ULS. Chi is also expected to replace the Lambda platform used for the current Buick Enclave, Chevrolet Traverse, and GMC Acadia.

While the first-generation Cadillac SRX had a longitudinal, rear-/all-wheel-drive layout, the 2017 Cadillac XT5 will likely retain the current SRX’s transverse, front-/all-wheel-drive layout.

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Can you imagine the vehicle above will still be on sale a year from now?

The Cadillac SRX is perhaps the most notable victim of the GM bankruptcy and the product delays it caused. What should have been replaced two years ago, is now still 18+ months out. Cadillac is sitting on the sidelines while the rest of the industry (with the exception of Infinity) is making a fortune in the light vehicle market.

I must confirm Cadillac's new tag line "Dare Greatly". While the rest of the world was chasing the lucrative SUV market (think X1, X3, X4, X5, X6, and the new X7); Cadillac went and fast-tracked two sedan models (and the NG Escalade to be fair). Cadillac did dare to be different, and is now paying the price in lost market share, market value and market traction.

The person or persons responsible for pushing the ATS and CTS over an equal to the X5 and ML Series should have his or her head examined.

·
Registered
284 Posts

The Cadillac SRX is perhaps the most notable victim of the GM bankruptcy and the product delays it caused. What should have been replaced two years ago, is now still 18+ months out. Cadillac is sitting on the sidelines while the rest of the industry (with the exception of Infinity) is making a fortune in the light vehicle market.

I must confirm Cadillac's new tag line "Dare Greatly". While the rest of the world was chasing the lucrative SUV market (think X1, X3, X4, X5, X6, and the new X7); Cadillac went and fast-tracked two sedan models (and the NG Escalade to be fair). Cadillac did dare to be different, and is now paying the price in lost market share, market value and market traction.

The person or persons responsible for pushing the ATS and CTS over an equal to the X5 and ML Series should have his or her head examined.
That just is not true and shows why you are not in that industry making decisions. The 3 and 5 series are iconic cars that define the brand, going after those two were key. Could you imagine the uproar if no 3 or 5 series fighter was in their arsenal, especially no V model to battle the M/AMG? While they are fairly flat in terms of sales if they continued with old models they would really be hit hard in the sales front. The escalade is selling very well, soon they will have their CUV replacements which will be newer than their competitors. Before mentioning lost market share the SRX only lost 3k sales from 2013-2014. Nothing significant to be concerned about, especially considering their age and how well they are selling. Sounds a lot like the Equinox twins to me, being smart with their decision.

Also, a lot more press comes with the ATS/CTS 3 and 5 series fighters than another new CUV, and their ATP's are up pretty significantly too...

Tyler

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,308 Posts
While the first-generation Cadillac SRX had a longitudinal, rear-/all-wheel-drive layout, the 2017 Cadillac XT5 will likely retain the current SRX’s transverse, front-/all-wheel-drive layout.
This is good news. Sales should be robust, just like the current one was up until recently.

But I hope they don't just make it longer.
The Trailblazer / Envoy looked goofy when they did that.
They need to go full scale Lambda if they're going to go longer.

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I certainly respect your opinion, but take a look at the ATS and CTS production figures for January (as estimated by Automotive News) and you will be shocked. Cadillac seems to really be lowering production of these two vehicle line on a long term basis to bring supply inline with demand.

Meanwhile, the plant in Texas strains to make more Escalades, and you can basically lease a new SRX here in New York for a sum you would not seem plausible. I doubt GM is making a profit on the vehicle right now, even with its Mexican production base.

Let's hope the new model (coming from Spring Hill) does the job.

·
Premium Member
News Contributor
5,624 Posts
With the new flexible architecture, the XT5 is rumored to be available in two wheelbases. The shorter version will be called C1UL, while the stretched variant will be called C1ULS.
I would think this is going to be two Cadillac models.
XT5 (C1UL)
XT6 (C1ULS)

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
With the new flexible architecture, the XT5 is rumored to be available in two wheelbases. The shorter version will be called C1UL, while the stretched variant will be called C1ULS. Chi is also expected to replace the Lambda platform used for the current Buick Enclave, Chevrolet Traverse, and GMC Acadia.
Interesting. I wonder if the LWB version will be China-only, or if it will serve as a substitute for a lack of a full-size crossover and if it will stick around when Cadillac gets one?

They shouldn't. ATS and CTS were more crucial to building the brand than the crossovers would be for volume. Plus, the product cycles didn't work out that way.

The people who should have their heads examined are the morons who let Cadillac languish and whither on the vine with poor leadership and mediocre product for so long, in denial of its heritage.

·
Registered
718 Posts
SRX is dated. I was expecting a refresh just as Equinox/terrain are getting. So anyone who did a four year lease are going to keep seeing pretty much the same model when they return their srx. I bet most customers will look elsewhere when choosing another suv to lease.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts

I'm holding open the possibility that the new SRX isn't late - it's just been kept under wraps more effectively than in the past. Fingers crossed: they show the new SRX in New York (or wherever), and it's in the dealers a few months later.

Maybe, just maybe, it wasn't the bankruptcy that slowed things down.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I'm disappointed that this will remain FWD based. The first time I read thru the article I thought it said it would be RWD based and that the Traverse, etc. would move to the same platform. Talk about a let down.

It should sell very well and hopefully not look like a demented Muppet.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
I'm disappointed that this will remain FWD based. The first time I read thru the article I thought it said it would be RWD based and that the Traverse, etc. would move to the same platform. Talk about a let down.

It'll have more global appeal as FWD/4WD - I guess this SWB platform is also being used for the new Opel/Vauxhall/Holden SUV to replace the aging Captiva/Antara.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Also, a lot more press comes with the ATS/CTS 3 and 5 series fighters than another new CUV, and their ATP's are up pretty significantly too...

Tyler
I'm honestly getting tired of this "their ATP's are up" crap getting thrown around all the time. Cadillac's volume is down significantly with the new ATS and CTS. The only reason ATP is surging is the Escalade being all new. If volume doesn't increase at some point, even that higher-than-ever-ATP won't hold off bankruptcy. Cost Accounting 101.

·
Registered
410 Posts

I feel the same way! I have a 2009 SRX that's getting a little up there in miles (~65,000 - although has been mechanically very solid with only a broken power module for the rear hatch and a lumbar adjuster needing to be replaced), but it is an ideal car for us. Three kids (2 with car seats) can fit across the middle bench, and 2 can fit in the third row still no problem. It can tow, it can haul fairly large items, take our family + the in-laws to dinner, take the wife and I + friends out in style, but still is very car-like in proportions and size.

We just went on a quick run down to Florida (to remind us of what the sun feels like) and the steering, ride, and handling of the first-gen will be very hard to dupicate in a FWD-based model. Driving through mountain roads (even in winter) was just a blast in a way that a minivan or FWD crossover cannot match. I'll just have to hope that our's will continue to be as reliable as its been, because honestly I don't see replacing it with an XT5, and out of the competitors - the GL seems a little big, the new Q7 too ugly, the Infiniti QX-whatever is a joke, - really the X5 with a third row as the most likely replacement.

Reactions: AMERICA 123

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
Although not my personal favorite....my wife loves the styling of the present SRX and it's selling very well still.....

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hmmmmmm.......doesn't look too interesting to me. I see a tall wagon and long mini van. Doesn't that describe the current SRX and the Enclave/Traverse/Acadia?

My hopes was that the SRX would be purpose built. While they sell successfully against the segment leader the Lexus RX, I imagined Cadillac selling a CUV that sold more on the merits of it's performance rather than the badge on the grille. While the Escalade is a truck based luxury hauler with great points on towing being that it's a torque monster, I imagined the SRX as being something sporty, a bit smaller than a Range Rover (Jeep Grand Cherekee/Durango maybe), with high points on 4x4 Off-roading. Sure, these CUV's would probaby never see the mud, but it would give the vehicle more substance and add more to it's value based on the exclusivity of stated sporting performance.

The current SRX is cool for what it is supposed to be, nothing more or less than a tall wagon for the Misses (I guess), but the Mercedes Benz ML or G-wagon, BMW X5, and Range Rovers add a bit more substance than just the brand cache......and that is what adds to their value. The only domestic that offers sporting 4x4 capabilities are the Grand Cherekee......and it's cheaper too! If I was in the market for something amerian and along those lines.......these future Cadillacs doesn't seem to be what I would be looking for......BUT JEEP does, otherwise the imports would have my full attention.

.......but what do I know know?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts