GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.birminghampost.net/news/...s-in-favour-of-buying-british-65233-21133445/

A bit old but worth a look - especially in light of developments concerning Toyota and Australia.

MPs slam hybrid cars in favour of buying British

Jun 23 2008 By Jonathan Walker, Political Editor

Trendy “green” Japanese cars should be axed from the Government fleet in favour of award-winning British vehicles such as Jaguars, MPs have insisted.

They slammed ministers for choosing “hybrid” vehicles such as the Toyota Prius as their official car, instead of environmentally-friendly Jaguars in Birmingham.

Erdington MP Sion Simon (Lab) is leading the campaign, which has gained cross-party support.

It follows Jaguar’s success in winning a prestigious award for the second year in a row.

The Jaguar’s XJ 2.7 diesel, built in Castle Bromwich, Birmingham, has won the title of Britain’s greenest luxury car in the 2008 Car Buyers’ Guide from the Environmental Transport Association.
Damn shame somebody hasn't sent them the NLC report on Toyota.

5,934 Posts
Hybrids are a joke to Europeans.

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Now there is something you don't see very often: a politician in an English speaking country saying "support our economy".
:lmao:

You're right - and just as unbelievably the domestic auto industry at Toyota's expense - diesel over hybrid ...... things are so twisted I didn't think of all that until you pointed that one out ! :lmao:

·
Banned
11,892 Posts
if only ..

I'm surprised not all of them drive Priuses :D

·
Registered
586 Posts
Consider that a domestically produced product does not carry a "carbon deficit" when it hits the shores. An imported car has been shipped by a vessel which uses the dirtiest version of diesel available. Before the key is turned, it is already a poluter.

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, isn't it a bit ironic - a Prius is not only a gross polluter system - it's a sooty, stinky, dirty diesel and compression ignition bunker fuel burner as well - which is even worse than 'dirty' marine transport diesel.

Man, I don't know whose more clever - stupid here - Toyota - or the Ministry personal who drive a battery hybrid from Japan.

·
Premium Member
35,874 Posts
Pip pip! Jolly good! :)

Best part is, Jag is still owned by The Empire! By Jove! :yup:

BTW, thanks for spelling "favour" properly. {:>)

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
It's certainly easier for a government to buy a lot of Priuses than a lot of full-size Jaguars. How much can you spend to support your local automaker?

Besides, Jaguar hasn't been British-owned in years.

·
Premium Member
8,004 Posts
Now there is something you don't see very often: a politician in an English speaking country saying "support our economy".

When someone says OUR Economy then, who's 'economy'?
The corporation's or the individual's?

Why is it a bad thing to support your Family's Economy?
Why is it unpatriotic in some poeple's minds when people simply want to protect their own 'bottom line'?

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
It's certainly easier for a government to buy a lot of Priuses than a lot of full-size Jaguars. How much can you spend to support your local automaker?

Besides, Jaguar hasn't been British-owned in years.
I suspect they can buy a Jag much cheaper than we car. Kind of like ho in some Euro countries they have cheaper BMW and MB models for taxies and such. Maybe there are cheaper fleet Jags too.

Regardless I think they are still made there aren't they? Owned, no, but made?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I suspect they can buy a Jag much cheaper than we car. Kind of like ho in some Euro countries they have cheaper BMW and MB models for taxies and such. Maybe there are cheaper fleet Jags too.

The XJ in the US costs some three times what a Prius does. The difference may be smaller in Britain, but I can't imagine it would erase such a significant difference.

The Prius presumably also gets better mileage than a full-size car, even with a diesel.

·
Premium Member
35,874 Posts
OK, let us compromise. They should drive Rover 2000s. :)

·
Premium Member
35,874 Posts

I don't know what ho in some Euro countries have to do with this discussion, but post some photos and let's see where it goes. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts