GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First Test: 2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1
Mind Blowing: The Incredible Numbers -- 200.5 MPH Top Speed Included -- From the Most Powerful Production Car in GM History

Arthur St. Antoine/ MotorTrend

Prepare to be humiliated. If, that is, you're a sports-car maker other than Chevrolet. Call it what you will -- "Blue Devil," "King of the Hill," even "Steve" -- the all-new 2009 Corvette ZR1 is a world-beater. We've just spent a breathless week with the supercharged beast, the most powerful GM production car ever, and we've got all the numbers -- observed top speed included.

If you're easily frightened, now would be a good time to tune to another channel.

Drive a 600-horsepower Dodge Viper SRT-10? Better move out of the way, bub. Launched well (and that means enough revs to keep the blown 6.2L V-8 from bogging but not so many revs that you simply whirl the rear tires into black jam), the 638-horse ZR1 blitzes from 0 to 60 miles per hour in a scalding 3.3 sec (versus 3.7 for the Dodge). Once those huge rear 335/25ZR-20 Michelin Sport PS2s are well and truly hooked up, though, the ZR1 really gets down and dirty. The quarter-mile flashes by in just 11.2 seconds at a trap speed of 130.5 mph (at that point the Viper is doing 124.4 mph). By the second half of the quarter-mile, the ZR1 is running away from almost every other automobile we've ever tested. The sound? Imagine an IndyCar being flat-footed around the Brickyard by a screaming Sam Kinison.

Is the ZR1 still pulling hard? Does Ben & Jerry's molest waistlines? The world offers few roads long or open enough to legally push this four-wheeled ICBM to its top speed, but we found a good stage for the ZR1's main event: the five-mile banked oval at Chrysler's Arizona Proving Grounds. With former IndyCar driver and Daytona 24 Hours winner Didier Theys at the helm, and with Mother Nature taunting our troupe with 25-mph wind gusts, the ZR1 screamed around the circuit at a wind-corrected Vmax of 200.5 miles per hour. "Very nice, very stable at speed," said Theys with Belgian accent and shoulder-shrugging nonchalance. "No problem."

Full Review Here

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
0-60 mph 3.3 sec
Quarter mile 11.2 sec @ 130.5 mph
So it's 0.4 sec faster to 60 and 0.5 faster (and 6 mph) through the whole quarter mile than a Z06.

I wonder why the ZR-1 doesn't gain any more than that 0.1 sec past 60 in the quarter. I know the mph is faster, but not sure why it doesn't pull away, timewise.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
So it's 0.4 sec faster to 60 and 0.5 faster (and 6 mph) through the whole quarter mile than a Z06.

I wonder why the ZR-1 doesn't gain any more than that 0.1 sec past 60 in the quarter. I know the mph is faster, but not sure why it doesn't pull away, timewise.

The Z06 does the 1/4 mile in 11.0-11.4 with a good driver. Depending on conditions, I'd assume this car will sneak into the 10's. 130.5mph is an amazing trap speed, definetly potential for mid to high 10s.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Use the ZO6 as the daily driver and get in your ZR1 when you want to go fast !!
It's mind blowing what this car can do.... with a full warranty also. On slicks with a good driver it should be in the 10's. But what a waste of a great machine to run it at the strip more than once to see what it [or you] can do.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts

You probably can launch a Z06 harder than you can the ZR1, so the ZR1 will have to make up ground after the rears hook up. As you can see by the trap speeds it's pulling like a freight train.

·
Registered
804 Posts
...Launched well (and that means enough revs to keep the blown 6.2L V-8 from bogging but not so many revs that you simply whirl the rear tires into black jam)...
What - no launch control, no automatic? You mean I actually have to learn to drive to get into a car this fast? :rolleyes:

Well, I did enjoy the second page - the part about the MR shocks soaking up all the bumps in the road, the cushy leather interior, the Bose audio, the smooth burbling V8.

In all seriousness, the braking distance (97 feet?!?) and the cornering ability (1.1 g ?!? - does that mean I can climb walls?) are even more shocking than the speed and acceleration. I wonder how the aftermarket will react to all of this. I remember when the Z06 came out and people were replacing their titanium exhaust with Borla...

As Dan Neil might say - Oh.My.God.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
with slicks it should run 10.44 s with that trap speed. that's sub 3.0 s 0-60:O

there's already a vid on youtube going 205 mph.

btw, because it rides so nice, the zr1 IS the preferred daily driver!

it's already one of the quickest cars around...stock. headers and cat back exhaust push it to 598 whp...~706 bhp.

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/foru...te-zr1-minor-mods-safe-tune-nets-598rwhp.html

how does gm follow this up? :)

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
What - no launch control, no automatic? You mean I actually have to learn to drive to get into a car this fast? :rolleyes:

Well, I did enjoy the second page - the part about the MR shocks soaking up all the bumps in the road, the cushy leather interior, the Bose audio, the smooth burbling V8.

In all seriousness, the braking distance (97 feet?!?) and the cornering ability (1.1 g ?!? - does that mean I can climb walls?) are even more shocking than the speed and acceleration. I wonder how the aftermarket will react to all of this. I remember when the Z06 came out and people were replacing their titanium exhaust with Borla...

As Dan Neil might say - Oh.My.God.
it doesn't produce 3500+ lb downforce...so don't try to run your zr1 upside down:lmao:

automatics can handle the torque, shift quicker and more consistently than manuals.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Great review. A Corvette review where the interior is only mentioned once and it is in a positive way?! I've died and gone to heaven. Great to see MT getting more impressive times out of the ZR1. I'm also impressed with the breaking as everyone said, however it is good that a professional driver found the car nice and stable at 200mph, since high speed stability has always been less than a strong suit for stock Corvettes, glad to see those new aero bits are helping.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Gotta love American muscle!

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
Great review. A Corvette review where the interior is only mentioned once and it is in a positive way?! I've died and gone to heaven. Great to see MT getting more impressive times out of the ZR1. I'm also impressed with the breaking as everyone said, however it is good that a professional driver found the car nice and stable at 200mph, since high speed stability has always been less than a strong suit for stock Corvettes, glad to see those new aero bits are helping.
Re the interior, the Ferrari's etc of the world will be needing their luxury interiors now, they have to have something to enjoy now that they have to follow a lowly Corvette around the track all day :)

I wonder if any of the auto mags will try and get time at Talladega, that should be about one of the best tracks to do a high speed test run... though bump drafting might not be a good idea :). Maybe call in some of the Corvette Racing Team drivers and run it with a C6R for a real comparison.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I wonder if any of the auto mags will try and get time at Talladega, that should be about one of the best tracks to do a high speed test run... though bump drafting might not be a good idea :). Maybe call in some of the Corvette Racing Team drivers and run it with a C6R for a real comparison.
It has happened before....

Put a ZR1 on the track as "pace car" for a NA$CAR race and it would be fully capable of lapping the entire field.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
A few comments:

1. The ZR1 will launch better than the Z06 because the ZR1 has adjustable magnetic shocks which can go full soft on the launch which allows the rearend of the car to squat for excellent weight transfer. When it hits full squat, the shocks then hold it there.

2. Talladega is a much smaller oval than what was being used here. The Chrysler oval is 5 miles around, and a true oval, not a tri-oval. As stated earlier, there is GM video available on YouTube showing the ZR1 doing a top speed run with two people in the car.

3. The magazines test cars on a regular surface. At a drag strip, the starting line is treated with VHT which makes it stickier, and the car has rollout because of the staging lights. Without a doubt, this car will run into the 10's BONE STOCK. The problem is, when you run 11.99 or faster, they require you to install a "roll bar" along with a driver side side bar. Once you hit 10.99, isn't that the big breaking point where they require a full cage?! And a tranny blanket?? I honestly don't remember. I just think it is a shame when you can not take your bone stock car to the drag strip for Friday Street Night. It pushes people out onto the street instead.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts