GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Go Lincoln! I read this review earlier and it seems MT really liked the car, they actually spent time talking about every major attribute of the car (styling, mechanicals, interior, features, price) and not just about one or two little pointless details (if I read one more paragraph about the Focus' side vent I am going to explode..it doesn't matter people!!!!). To me, the MKS, even before the Horbury-ification of the front end, was a beautiful car, much more so than any BMW, AUDI, Acura, or Lexus, to me only the CLS and XF can compete in the looks department for this class (5, E, XF, GS, STS M35/45, RL, S80, etc.). Why do people compare this car with a Lexus ES when the MKZ is its obvious competitor, if AUDI can make a great luxury sedan with FWD and AWD then so can Lincoln. When the 3.5V6 EcoBoost comes early next year with 340-360hp this thing is going to be a rocket and give the car a second year boost. I would not be surprised to see this car sell quite well, especially since tens of thousands of 06 Zephyr leases will be up just in time for the MKS.

2010 should be a huge year for Lincoln since the MKS will get the EcoBoost, the MKZ, MKX, and Navigator should get significant upgrades in styling, interiors, and engines. Also, the MKT will be launced, giving Lincoln its second "meat of the lux market" entry of the modern era. So for 2010, for all intents of purposes will have an all new lineup in 2010 or pretty darn close to it. GO LINCOLN!!!!

·
Banned
1,436 Posts
I am glad Lincoln is going in a direction opposite Cadillac, who is busy chasing others.

Lincoln needs volume sales like now, and with a premium luxury sedan priced at $38K to fill that gaping hole they have in their lineup, I would say they have the right formula to retain many of their current large car buyers as well as bring in other sales. A nicely updated MKZ will take care of the lower end too.

Lincoln will be great again soon. I know this because even I never had any intention for a Lincoln, but an MKS AWD with EcoBoost, 20in wheels and decent fuel economy really has my attention. Love those hidden keypads. Why did nobody else ever think of that. I love the idea of locking my keys in the car and not even needing them when you drive either. Oh, and gotta have sync.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
I don't know why y'all think this was such a glowing review. They gave it a passing grade.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts

·
Banned
1,436 Posts
^
If you say so, but
You don't think that is smarter?
Look at who is successful these days.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I saw an MKS with Michigan plates in Nashville the other day, headed away from the local Lincoln-Mercury Dealer. What a nice looking car! I had seen one at the auto show, but seeing it on the road was definitely better. I really dig the styling and the interior looks great.

I managed to snap a quick mirror pic before my light turned green. The MKS looks pretty good in traffic, too. It stands out just enough to get noticed.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
now this is a quality review i hope that lady that wrote the first one is taking notes

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
...while Lincoln chases the Japanese?

Well they do have to follow someome to stay competative. This is what i hope theyre doing.

MY10-facelift for MkZ and MkX
MY11-all new MkT and MkR, Hybrid for MkX
MY12-facelift for MkS, Hybrid added, all new MkC(continental, E-class size)
MY13-all new MkZ-Hybrid added, MkX/Hybrid, MkM(Mark coupes return)
MY14-facelifted MkT-hybrid added, MkR, all new MkB(RWD 5 seat crossover)
MY15-facelifted MkC, All new MkS/Hybrid, MkQ(compact rwd car based MX5)
MY16-facelift MKZ/Hybrid,MkX/Hybrid,MkM,all new MkV(RWD compact Xover
My17-All new MkT/hybrid, MkR, facelift MkB,all new MkY FWD compact hybrid only car

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
MKS AWD
204.1 inches long, 75.9 inches wide, 61.6 inches tall, 4276 pounds

Taurus Limited AWD
201.8 inches long, 74.5 inches wide, 61.5 inches tall, 3814 pounds.

How does 2.3 inches of length and 1.4 inches of width add 462 pounds?

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
MKS AWD
204.1 inches long, 75.9 inches wide, 61.6 inches tall, 4276 pounds

Taurus Limited AWD
201.8 inches long, 74.5 inches wide, 61.5 inches tall, 3814 pounds.

How does 2.3 inches of length and 1.4 inches of width add 462 pounds?
The chassis has been significantly upgraded over the 2008 Taurus. Different suspension, far stronger, and a healthy dose of NVH improvements.

Goes to show how far Lincoln went to get this car up to luxury sedan standards.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm as much as FoMoCo supporter as any Ford lover, but where all those Ford fans said that Duratec37 is going to be different than the one in the CX-9? They produce the exact same rating, 273hp and 270tq. Lincoln should have launched this with a Duratec37 with DI first if the EcoBoost isn't ready yet.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I actually really like your proposed lineup for Lincoln, however I have to say tha the MKT is coming for the 2010 model year and the Navigator is probably getting an update with a new nose and engine as well as the possablity of a new or hevily revised interior like its Expedition sister ship. Here is my dream Lincoln Lineup of the future and tell me what you guys think:

-MKZ: Competes with ES, TSX, S40, A3, A4,etc. Base the next gen on the 3rd gen S40/V50 on the premium version of the C2 platform...let's call it C2+. Give it the 2.0/2.5I4 EcoBoost engine that is rumored to make 275hp or so. Have std FWD with optional AWD as well as a hybrid version. Make the next gen car slightly smaller and "go-cart like" but with still a more supple ride and good NVH ratings. Make it the "friendly Lincoln" with a less aggressive face. This car can compete at the lower, non-performance end of the entry-level lux market and would be very fuel efficient yet still powerful, market it as the eco-and wallet friendly luxury car.

MKR: Competes with 3, C, G37, IS, CTS, A4, etc. Based on the premium version of the upcoming RWD platform that I am going to call D3C+ for simplicity's sake. This is the sporty "bad boy" in Lincoln's lineup with aggressive styling right off of the concept with nuremburg handling and a throaty snarl from the engine. Give it 3.7V6-273hp as the base model with the 3.5V6 EcoBoost with 340-360 as an option, with the rumored upgraded version making 415hp as the Sport Model that Lincoln will come up with.

MKS: Competes with: GS, 5, E, M35/45,XF, STS,A6, RL, etc. This is Lincoln's luxury sedan, with a big interior and trunk, with amazing NVH qualities and a good balance between soundhandling and suppleness. It is based on the premium version of Ford's large car platform, the D4+, sharing platforms with future S80, v70, and XC90. Have the 3.5V6 EcoBoost with 340/360hp as standard with the sport model making 415hp.
Give it a hybrid version based upon the rumored 2011/2012 Edge hybrid programs.

MKC: Competes with: LS, 7, CLS, S, XJ, Q45, ETS/DTS, etc. Lincoln's flagship that they could call Continental if they so chose to do so. Make it look like the 2002 Continental Concept with the splitting of the grille at the front, leave everything essentially the same. Give it a standard V8, maybe a premium version of the 6.2 that's coming that could make 420hp or so. Have standard everything except maybe AWD and Vista Roof as options. Make this a bargain car, selling for thousands less yet still able to compete, just like the original Lexus LS did and we all know how that worked out.

MK9: Competes with entry and mid luxury coupes and convertables. Sharing mechanicals and engines with the MKR, the MK9 should be Lincoln's entry into the hard top convertable market...make it look similar to the gorgeous MK9 concept from 2002/2001, with of course the addition of the split-wave grille. This will give Lincoln a halo car to hang its hat on, but not too expensive, starting at the mid thirties and reaching up to the mid forties for the sport model.

MKG: Competes with RDX, EX, and other small, 5 row entry lux CUVs. base it on the premium version that underpins the next gen MKZ as well as the 3rd gen S40/V50/C70. Give it the 2.0/2.5I4 EcoBoost engine making 275hp as standard with a hybrid version as well.

MKX: Competes with MDX, RX, etc. Based upon Ford's next gen FWD CD platform, the CD4. Give it three rows this time, but it will be a small third row for little adults and kids. Make the 3.7V6-273 hp standard with the 3.5V6 EcoBoost as an option and possibly a hybrid version if the Taurus/Edge rumors for 2011 are true.

MKT: Competes with GX, R, etc. Large Cuv sharing all mechanicals and engines with the MKS. It is the cool and stylish family CUV with plenty of room for 6-7 people, even adults in the back seat. Offer a hybrid version that is rumored to go into the 2011-2012 Taurus and Edge.

Navigator: Competes with Escalade and Land Rovers, etc. Premium version of the Expedition with a powerful V8 and diesel engines. Lower the weight but keep it tought, people seeking a softer ride with better fuel economy can buy an MKT if that suits there needs better and vice-versa.

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
The chassis has been significantly upgraded over the 2008 Taurus. Different suspension, far stronger, and a healthy dose of NVH improvements.

Goes to show how far Lincoln went to get this car up to luxury sedan standards.
I can understand extra weight. But one piece of luxury is using aluminum and special high strength steels and steel alloys in place of the cheaper metals used in lesser vehicles. As it is, the Taurus Limited AWD has a better power to weight ratio than a Lincoln costing at least $10,000 more.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
I don't know why y'all think this was such a glowing review. They gave it a passing grade.
Since when has anyone given Lincoln anything other than a few laughs, a sneer and the short end of the stick??

This thing positively spanks the Lucerne and together with the MKS, makes Buick look decidedly behind the times.

Once they get this baby out into the open.......they should bring back their old mantra "What A Luxury Car Should Be".

Long live the land yachts! :D

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
I actually really like your proposed lineup for Lincoln, however I have to say tha the MKT is coming for the 2010 model year and the Navigator is probably getting an update with a new nose and engine as well as the possablity of a new or hevily revised interior like its Expedition sister ship. Here is my dream Lincoln Lineup of the future and tell me what you guys think:

-MKZ: Competes with ES, TSX, S40, A3, A4,etc. Base the next gen on the 3rd gen S40/V50 on the premium version of the C2 platform...let's call it C2+. Give it the 2.0/2.5I4 EcoBoost engine that is rumored to make 275hp or so. Have std FWD with optional AWD as well as a hybrid version. Make the next gen car slightly smaller and "go-cart like" but with still a more supple ride and good NVH ratings. Make it the "friendly Lincoln" with a less aggressive face. This car can compete at the lower, non-performance end of the entry-level lux market and would be very fuel efficient yet still powerful, market it as the eco-and wallet friendly luxury car.

MKR: Competes with 3, C, G37, IS, CTS, A4, etc. Based on the premium version of the upcoming RWD platform that I am going to call D3C+ for simplicity's sake. This is the sporty "bad boy" in Lincoln's lineup with aggressive styling right off of the concept with nuremburg handling and a throaty snarl from the engine. Give it 3.7V6-273hp as the base model with the 3.5V6 EcoBoost with 340-360 as an option, with the rumored upgraded version making 415hp as the Sport Model that Lincoln will come up with.

MKS: Competes with: GS, 5, E, M35/45,XF, STS,A6, RL, etc. This is Lincoln's luxury sedan, with a big interior and trunk, with amazing NVH qualities and a good balance between soundhandling and suppleness. It is based on the premium version of Ford's large car platform, the D4+, sharing platforms with future S80, v70, and XC90. Have the 3.5V6 EcoBoost with 340/360hp as standard with the sport model making 415hp.

MKC: Competes with: LS, 7, CLS, S, XJ, Q45, ETS/DTS, etc. Lincoln's flagship that they could call Continental if they so chose to do so. Make it look like the 2002 Continental Concept with the splitting of the grille at the front, leave everything essentially the same. Give it a standard V8, maybe a premium version of the 6.2 that's coming that could make 420hp or so. Have standard everything except maybe AWD and Vista Roof as options. Make this a bargain car, selling for thousands less yet still able to compete, just like the original Lexus LS did and we all know how that worked out.

MK9: Competes with entry and mid luxury coupes and convertables. Sharing mechanicals and engines with the MKR, the MK9 should be Lincoln's entry into the hard top convertable market...make it look similar to the gorgeous MK9 concept from 2002/2001, with of course the addition of the split-wave grille. This will give Lincoln a halo car to hang its hat on, but not too expensive, starting at the mid thirties and reaching up to the mid forties for the sport model.

MKG: Competes with RDX, EX, and other small, 5 row entry lux CUVs. base it on the premium version that underpins the next gen MKZ as well as the 3rd gen S40/V50/C70. Give it the 2.0/2.5I4 EcoBoost engine making 275hp as standard with a hybrid version as well.

MKX: Competes with MDX, RX, etc. Based upon Ford's next gen FWD CD platform, the CD4. Give it three rows this time, but it will be a small third row for little adults and kids. Make the 3.7V6-273 hp standard with the 3.5V6 EcoBoost as an option and possibly a hybrid version if the Taurus/Edge rumors for 2011 are true.

MKT: Competes with GX, R, etc. Large Cuv sharing all mechanicals and engines with the MKS. It is the cool and stylish family CUV with plenty of room for 6-7 people, even adults in the back seat. Offer a hybrid version that is rumored to go into the 2011-2012 Taurus and Edge.

Navigator: Competes with Escalade and Land Rovers, etc. Premium version of the Expedition with a powerful V8 and diesel engines. Lower the weight but keep it tought, people seeking a softer ride with better fuel economy can buy an MKT if that suits there needs better and vice-versa.
Yea i know I forgot the Nav but i simply dont know when they will make it all new , i think it could be MY11 since the F-150 is MY12 and remember the Expy has come out usually 1 year before.

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts

And MkZ should stay mid size, not go to compact, thats what the MkY is for. And it should be Only hybrid since Lexas is getting a compact only hybrid car.

This sign should be over the Lincoln design studio "No 4 Bangers Allowed!!!"

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
This is my whole Lincoln Lineup, I believe they could complete it by 2025.

MkA-RWD mid size SUV(GL-Class, Q7, LR3, GX)
MkB-RWD mid size crossover(FX, upcoming Lexas JX, Cayanne)
MkC-RWD full size car(GS, E-Class, 5-Series, M)
MkD-RWD traditional full size(LS, S-Class, A8, 7-Series, upcoming Infiniti)
MkF-RWD super sports car(LF-A, SLR)
MkG-RWD rear engine sports car(R8)
MkH-RWD 4 seat sports car(SL-Class, 6-Series, XK, SC)
MkI-RWD 2 seat sports car(SLK-class, Z4, TT)
MkK-RWD mid size 4 door coupe(CLE-Class)
MkL-RWD Full size 4 door coupe(CLS-Class, A7, 8-Series)
MkM-RWD Full size 2 door coupe(CL-Class)
Navigator
MkO-RWD compact crossover coupe(X4)
MkP-RWD mid size crossover coupe(X6)
MkQ-RWD compact car(1-Series, upcoming Infiniti, BLS)
MkR-RWD mid size car(IS, C-Class, 3-Series, G)
MkS-FWD full size car(RL, A6)
MkT-FWD Full size crossover(R-Class)
MkU-RWD sub compact crossover(X1, Q3)
MkV-RWD compact crossover(X3, GLK, Q5, EX)
MkW-RWD hybrid only mid size crossover(upcoming Lexas)
MkX-FWD mid size crossover(RX, M-Class)
MkY-FWD hybrid only compact car(upcoming Lexas)
MkZ-FWD mid size car(ES, A4, TSX, TL)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts