GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First Drive: 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS coupe
Quicker than a Corvette!

Okay, of course we're not referring to the 2008 Corvette. That would be a ridiculous statement, an utter lie. And we wouldn't do that to you. No, no, we're talking about the 1989 Vette, which, back in a May '89 road test, impressed power junkies with its 245-horsepower 5.7-liter V-8 that could consume 60 in 6.5 seconds and the quarter-mile in 15.0 at 94.6 mph. My how times change-this cute Cobalt SS you see here, with a puny 2.0-liter four-cylinder spinning the front wheels and with help from new "no-lift shift" launch control, can, according to Chevy, scorch 60 in just 5.7 seconds and the quarter in 14.2 at nearly 100 mph. Legit? You should see it at the track.

When we say track, we really mean the "Ring," as in Germany's Nurburgring. It was there that the SS, with a time of 8:22.85 minutes, set a new record for front-drive sport-compacts, a class that was previously dominated by the Opel Astra OPC, which was over 13 seconds slower. For a little context, a Z06 obliterates the Ring in 7:43, but that's with nearly twice the power, rear drive, and tires as wide as a La-Z-Boy.

The Cobalt's mojo comes courtesy of the aforementioned 2.0-liter-a 260-horsepower direct-injection turbo-and a heavily revised chassis, highlighted by stiffer springs and dampers, a larger rear anti-roll bar, 10-percent quicker steering, Brembo four-piston front brakes, and 18-inch forged alloys wearing 225/45 Continentals. The package works, displaying predictable, confidence-inspiring traits at the track and, more important, grin-inducing grip (Chevy claims 0.90 g). Making that grin even wider are a top speed of 160 mph and estimated combined fuel economy of 26 mpg.

Shortcomings? The F35 five-speed isn't as fluid or precise as others in the segment, namely the Civic Si's. The electric power steering is linear but lacks the tactility of, say, a Mazdaspeed 3's. The interior, with its hard plastic accoutrements, still screams econocar, despite new seats with UltraLux suedelike inserts.

Nevertheless, at only $22,995, the SS could stand for Super Steal. Even loaded with the $495 limited-slip differential (a must for the track), $750 sunroof, and $195 big wing, the SS still goes for under $25,000. Better yet, an SS sedan is coming for '09. Either way, you'll be grinning big as you pity those old Corvettes in the rearview.

·
Premium Member
18,180 Posts
Haha! Stick that in your leiderhausen [sp?] Europe! Supposed home of hot hatchery, beaten at its own game on home soil. Renault Megane F1? no. OPC? no. Golf? no. Audi S3? even if it is in the same class....no.

What a coup. I stopped reading the article after the 'ring times and I dare not look at the interior.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
So it can beat a 20 year old Corvette, but not a 6 year old F-body. Ok, good I'm glad that's over. :rolleyes:

How come this one has the big aero wing and the one from the other thread does not? :confused: Is it an option, then?

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
The F35 five-speed isn't as fluid or precise as others in the segment, namely the Civic Si's.
Ehh. But don't many of the Civics have issue with popping out of gear?

·
Registered
331 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Now, that is a sweet looking (and performing) Cobalt... my desire to have one have once again resparked...

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
JMO until I PROVE it correct

drivers race with an LS1 (especially 4speed)

Tactility, shove that up your tailpipe, way to hate (eyeroll) and yeah of course it isn't as fluid, when you only hookup 137 ft/lb of torque compared to 260, no **** sherlock, no ****.

CobaltSS

·
Registered
63 Posts

Tactility, shove that up your tailpipe, way to hate (eyeroll) and yeah of course it isn't as fluid, when you only hookup 137 ft/lb of torque compared to 260, no **** sherlock, no ****.

CobaltSS
is there a reason for you to hate on cars made by the same company (F-bodies and Corvette) just because they're not Cobalts? or am I reading something wrong here? :cool:

I think it's pretty rad that GM swatted everyone down in Europe with a "cheap econobox". :lmao:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Great for Chevy. So my question to GM is why doesn't the Pontiac G5 get the same treatment? They seem to cookie cutter everything else why not give the G5 a "GXP" based off the Cobalt SS

·
Registered
10 Posts

CobaltSS
Sorry, but ls1 f body's run consistant 13.2's bone stock from experience vs this car's 14.2.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
is there a reason for you to hate on cars made by the same company (F-bodies and Corvette) just because they're not Cobalts? or am I reading something wrong here? :cool:

I think it's pretty rad that GM swatted everyone down in Europe with a "cheap econobox". :lmao:
I'm going to chime in and agree with you here. Everyone on this board knows CobaltSScrazy loves the cobalt...but when his praise for it is so unflappable, and he will go to the expense to make negative comments about just about any car that isn't a Cobalt (even other GM products), it becomes harder to take his comments seriously.

The Cobalt SS appears to be a good car, and it may very well be perfect for you...but you gotta tone things down when you get to the point of degrading other cars that other people may like a bit more than yours.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I own a 2002 Civic SI and do not have the problem.
They're talking about the new gen I believe.

Great for Chevy. So my question to GM is why doesn't the Pontiac G5 get the same treatment? They seem to cookie cutter everything else why not give the G5 a "GXP" based off the Cobalt SS
Because the Pontiac G5 shouldn't exist in the first place. Me thinks a plan to ditch it and the Wave just may be in the woks....

He hates everything else because he is...Cobalt Crazy....haha. This SS is pretty sweet IMO, but it doesn't make it better than everything else contrary to certain peoples perceptions....jus saying....

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
They're talking about the new gen I believe.

Because the Pontiac G5 shouldn't exist in the first place. Me thinks a plan to ditch it and the Wave just may be in the woks....

He hates everything else because he is...Cobalt Crazy....haha. This SS is pretty sweet IMO, but it doesn't make it better than everything else contrary to certain peoples perceptions....jus saying....
Well thanks for stealing everything I was gonna say :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Haha! Stick that in your leiderhausen [sp?] Europe! Supposed home of hot hatchery, beaten at its own game on home soil. Renault Megane F1? no. OPC? no. Golf? no. Audi S3? even if it is in the same class....no.

What a coup. I stopped reading the article after the 'ring times and I dare not look at the interior.
The OPC Astra is 20hp short of the Cobalt SS/TC and it's essentially the same car as the Cobalt...but it's also about $40K in USD, so the Cobalt is a steal.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.