GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Link: http://www.autosavant.com/2008/10/10/motor-trend’s-suv-ish-of-the-year-contenders/

Motor Trend has released the contenders for the coveted 2009 Sport/Utility Vehicle of the Year. In a time when the industry appears to be transitioning towards smaller vehicles, there are 13 contenders for the golden calipers.

This group includes:

BMW X6
Chevrolet Traverse
Dodge Journey
Ford Flex
Honda Pilot
Kia Borrego
Infiniti EX
Infiniti FX
Lexus LX 570
Nissan Murano
Subaru Forester
Toyota Sequoia
Volkswagen Tiguan

Motor Trend calls this a very “diverse” group. That’s an understatement. Personally, I find it extremely difficult to compare the Kia Borrego to a Ford Flex. Why? The Flex is nowhere near being an SUV. It is, simply stated, the modern-day station wagon, and a very nice one if I might add. Of course, the automobile industry forbids those two words. Therefore, in order to be politically correct, we’ll call it a crossover.

Full article at link.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
The Ford Flex gets my vote.
We've had a few Flexs in our shop and there's one here right now, and its a nice SUV/Crossoveer. The interior is very nice and I agree with the description of a modern day or modern interpretation of a station wagon. I'm a GM fan through and through, but the Flex is definitely a nice ride!

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Based on looks.. Chevy Traverse

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
If the Flex is a station wagon, then what is the rest of the bunch; except for the toyodas?
The tiguan, fx, and for forrester don't even sit up higher than most cars. And I wonder why I don't read Motortrend anymore.

The EX will win.

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
The Flex defiinitely isn't a SUV - it shouldn't be in the running.

I don't see the Traverse as being new - it is just a delayed launch of the Chevrolet Enclave and should be thrown out on that criteria alone.

Motor Trend will probably award the SUV title to the Honda though I personally think the Murano should be the one.

·
Banned
1,169 Posts
Link: http://www.autosavant.com/2008/10/10/motor-trend’s-suv-ish-of-the-year-contenders/

Motor Trend has released the contenders for the coveted 2009 Sport/Utility Vehicle of the Year. In a time when the industry appears to be transitioning towards smaller vehicles, there are 13 contenders for the golden calipers.

This group includes:

BMW X6 -crossover
Chevrolet Traverse -crossover
Dodge Journey -crossover
Ford Flex -crossover
Honda Pilot -crossover minivan
Kia Borrego -suv bof!
Infiniti EX -crossover
Infiniti FX -crossover
Lexus LX 570 -suv bof
Nissan Murano -crossover
Subaru Forester -crossover
Toyota Sequoia -suv bof
Volkswagen Tiguan -crossover

Total crossover = 10
total suv bof = 3
so why are there ten extra crossovers on this list. i guess with only 3 foreign suv bof their are none to chose from so they had to redo what suv means.

Motor Trend calls this a very “diverse” group. That’s an understatement. Personally, I find it extremely difficult to compare the Kia Borrego to a Ford Flex. Why? The Flex is nowhere near being an SUV. It is, simply stated, the modern-day station wagon, and a very nice one if I might add. Of course, the automobile industry forbids those two words. Therefore, in order to be politically correct, we’ll call it a crossover.

Full article at link.
diverse group, give me a break only 2 of them are american, The dodge does not count as it is 19.9% owned by the germans. So how can they say it is a diverse group? It just shows how anti american motor trend is. But after all they should have best American Suv and best foreign suv

so now i also guess suv stands for stationwagon utility vech...

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
The Forester gets my vote. I like the Flex and Traverse but both don't average over 20 mpg.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Nothing really stands out to me. I would have to go with the X6 above the rest on this list.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts