GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's always bewildered me that Cadillac is putting out a CTS-V.. based on their current entry level superstar... with 556HP.. while leaving the STS-V with a 469HP engine and the Flagship XLR-V with even less at 443HP. It's pretty ass backwards if U ask me... an LSA Based STS-V and XLR-V.. hell an LS3 based STS and XLR-Platinum would be a welcome site... Well D3 Tuning has come up with an answer... for only $8,550.:yup:

·
Banned
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
On paper, the D3 XLR-V is one killer Caddy. Save for the 20-in. Forgeline MD3P gunmetal-and-chrome three-piece wheels and red valve covers, the modifications to this XLR-V are all business. We sampled D3's Stage 2 Package, which consists of an upgraded supercharger, monster dual intake, Corsa full exhaust system, upgraded intercooler, performance spark plugs, auxiliary methanol injection cooling system,

All those add-ons are generating eye-popping output numbers -- 575 hp at 5900 rpm and 585 lb-ft of torque at 4000 rpm -- while providing stellar aural stimulation. At idle, the twin intercooler fans sound like a taxiing airliner while the Corsa exhaust burbles "quietly." Dropping the hammer morphs the burble into an angry grizzly roar that's quickly joined by the supercharger's devilish whine. Sixty mph comes and goes in just 4.2 sec, the quarter in 12.7 sec at 112 mph -- a virtual dead heat with the Mercedes-Benz SL63 AMG.

D3's asking price for the package is $16,435 -- $8555 for the performance modifications, $5200 for the wheels, $1180 for the tires, and $1500 for the installation. The XLR-V itself costs $101,300, bringing the total price to $117,735, some $15,000 and change shy of the SL63. Skip the big-ticket wheels and accompanying tires, and that drops to $111,355 -- not the worst deal in the world, all things considered, and a far cry from your grandpa's old Fleetwood.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/convertibles/112_0808_2008_d3_cadillac_xlrv_review/index.html

·
Banned
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And that would put me into an STS-V RIGHT NOW...:yup: I would actually skip the CTS-v. The Northstar engine CAN be upgraded... I wonder if Caddy sees some reliability issues with doing similar upgrades to the car???

Either way... I like that kinda power coming outta the XLR-V. A convertible Hard-top putting down those numbers is awesome

Saw an '09 today at the dealer after I received a call that it was in... it looks MUCH MUCH MUCH better with the changes... and the Side Ports looks Effin Sweet in person...:yup:

575-hp/585-lb-ft is above the CTS-V... and where the flagship should be. If Cadillac did this U should see even better power. DAMM CAFE:mad:

it would still breathe some new life into the XLR-P, XLR-V, STS, STS-V... At 575HP in both the STS-V and XLR-V, they could put the current 4.4L S/C (469HP,and 443HP)in the regular STS, DTS, and XLR-P and instantly have class leaders WITH the NS they wanna use so bad (I'd still rather have the LS) HELL... detune it to 400HP and I'd be happy :cool:

In fact... i'm gonna call them up and ask if the $8500 would do the same to the STS-V... If they warranty it to the hilt.. I could see me taking it over the CTS-V

·
Registered
913 Posts
Would there be reliability issue with so much HP ??
Xlr-v with 570 hp from 4.4 supercharged northstar. Yes this is kind of engine XLR should get. But since there won't be any XLR II, and there isn't money for developing such engine we can only hope that even V series (CTS-V, etc) doesn't get cancel.

·
Banned
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would there be reliability issue with so much HP ??
Xlr-v with 570 hp from 4.4 supercharged northstar. Yes this is kind of engine XLR should get. But since there won't be any XLR II, and there isn't money for developing such engine we can only hope that even V series (CTS-V, etc) doesn't get cancel.
Who said that the XLR-v is Definitely DEAD? If it is... GM is off it's Nut. They don't update the car for 5 years, don't advertise it... give it a shaky interior... WTF do they expect sometimes I wonder.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Before the V Series was added Cadillac should have sought tuners like D3 for customer wanting custom upgrades. This is something Cadillac has offered since the 1950's, they could get you the car you wanted! Engineering isn't my longsuit by any means, I don't understand the tolerances of the pistons, cams, or transmission inards. But if AMG, and BRABUS can modify Mercedes Benz, can't someone modify Cadillac?

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
And that would put me into an STS-V RIGHT NOW...:yup: I would actually skip the CTS-v. The Northstar engine CAN be upgraded... I wonder if Caddy sees some reliability issues with doing similar upgrades to the car???

Either way... I like that kinda power coming outta the XLR-V. A convertible Hard-top putting down those numbers is awesome

Saw an '09 today at the dealer after I received a call that it was in... it looks MUCH MUCH MUCH better with the changes... and the Side Ports looks Effin Sweet in person...:yup:

575-hp/585-lb-ft is above the CTS-V... and where the flagship should be. If Cadillac did this U should see even better power. DAMM CAFE:mad:

it would still breathe some new life into the XLR-P, XLR-V, STS, STS-V... At 575HP in both the STS-V and XLR-V, they could put the current 4.4L S/C (469HP,and 443HP)in the regular STS, DTS, and XLR-P and instantly have class leaders WITH the NS they wanna use so bad (I'd still rather have the LS) HELL... detune it to 400HP and I'd be happy :cool:

In fact... i'm gonna call them up and ask if the $8500 would do the same to the STS-V... If they warranty it to the hilt.. I could see me taking it over the CTS-V
Hi CmicasatheGreat,

Good to hear from you. At the last Cadillac XLR Rendezvous III event I attended this past June, there were custom XLRs with aftermarket products for Cadillac's V Series models. This has been available for some time now for the XLR and STS for those wanting ultimate performance. My most recent requirements has changed my plans to replace my STS V8 with a STS-V or CTS -V to a SUV. So I purchased a Cadillac Escalade AWD. However, I am still on target to replace my XLR with a 2009 Cadillac XLR Platinum or XLR-V. After testing both in Bowling Green, I am leaning toward the XLR Platinum.

By the way the Chevrolet ZR1 was presented along with the 2009 Cadillac XLR models and if performance is your highest requirement, I have not evaluated anything to date I would prefer to own other than the ZR1. Simply fantastic and it makes other sports cars I have test driven appear bland.

In my case, performance has relevance but it is not the only criteria for purchase and this is where Cadillac's XLR gains my favor. It is Cadillac's XLR total design that captivates me, it is a much more compelling design for my requirements than any other luxury performance roadster.

JLM

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
Before the V Series was added Cadillac should have sought tuners like D3 for customer wanting custom upgrades. This is something Cadillac has offered since the 1950's, they could get you the car you wanted! Engineering isn't my longsuit by any means, I don't understand the tolerances of the pistons, cams, or transmission inards. But if AMG, and BRABUS can modify Mercedes Benz, can't someone modify Cadillac?
+1 and not only Cadillac but also Buick, Pontiac (although Mallet did once a Solstice V8), Chevy, even Saab

And not only the V8 but also the V6 Alloytec/High-Feature engine and the Ecotecs

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
I've heard the XLR called many different things but NEVER have I heard it called boring. You're sure you're talking about the XLR and not the DTS, right? The XLR is probably one of the most unique looking car on the road even after being around for 5 years.
and that's the problem right there. The design isn't fresh and it looks boring compared to the new CTS sedan.

The XLR is supposed to be a "halo" vehicle for Cadillac and this MCE for next year isn't near enough to make it interesting.

·
Banned
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi CmicasatheGreat,

Good to hear from you. At the last Cadillac XLR Rendezvous III event I attended this past June, there were custom XLRs with aftermarket products for Cadillac's V Series models. This has been available for some time now for the XLR and STS for those wanting ultimate performance. My most recent requirements has changed my plans to replace my STS V8 with a STS-V or CTS -V to a SUV. So I purchased a Cadillac Escalade AWD. However, I am still on target to replace my XLR with a 2009 Cadillac XLR Platinum or XLR-V. After testing both in Bowling Green, I am leaning toward the XLR Platinum.

By the way the Chevrolet ZR1 was presented along with the 2009 Cadillac XLR models and if performance is your highest requirement, I have not evaluated anything to date I would prefer to own other than the ZR1. Simply fantastic and it makes other sports cars I have test driven appear bland.

In my case, performance has relevance but it is not the only criteria for purchase and this is where Cadillac's XLR gains my favor. It is Cadillac's XLR total design that captivates me, it is a much more compelling design for my requirements than any other luxury performance roadster.

JLM

Hey JLM...

I am at the crossroads myself... CTS-V... or STS-V with mods like this. On one hand I love the CTS-V's looks and performance potential.. and lord knows that an LS Engine can be modified to the hilt for normally very little (My LS3 in my Z51 is kicking out 477HP at the Fly.. or about 417RWHP, cost me less than $500), but I still love the size of my STS. Seeing the new STS-V only endears me more to it.. as I personally think the 2008 STS is as good looking as the CTS, altho the CTS has a superior interior DESIGN. If Cadillac had of boosted the STS-V's HP via direct-injecting the NS, or performing these "D3" mods, or just giving the car the CTS-V's LSA... my choice would be undoubtedly the STS-V

·
Banned
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
proper power but still remarkably boring looking.

On a side note the rearview mirrors have always bothered me on this car. They stick out like fat thumbs.. ruins the sleek, if boring, look of the car
I have to agree with the other here.. the XLR is hardly boring to look at.. in fact it has an understated grace about it that NOW alludes the SL (have U seen how the effed it up?) I will maintain that the XLR would have been nicer looking if they had of given it a soft-top (like the 6series) option... I have never been crazy about hard-top verts.

The changes made to the 2009 XLR Platinum are nice.. U have to see it in person to appreciate it. The only thing I wish they would have changed on the 09 is the headlights.. perhaps elongated them or made them more like the STS/CTS's...

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
I have to agree with the other here.. the XLR is hardly boring to look at.. in fact it has an understated grace about it that NOW alludes the SL (have U seen how the effed it up?) I will maintain that the XLR would have been nicer looking if they had of given it a soft-top (like the 6series) option... I have never been crazy about hard-top verts.

The changes made to the 2009 XLR Platinum are nice.. U have to see it in person to appreciate it. The only thing I wish they would have changed on the 09 is the headlights.. perhaps elongated them or made them more like the STS/CTS's...
You just proved my entire point. They didn't go far enough with the MCE and the car is starting to look tired. All we get is new front and rear fascias and some trim bits? Cadillac doesn't need to be labeled understated. They need to be bold and get out there and make the brand the "standard of the world" again.

I sat in an XLR-V at Chicago and I was horrifed at the interior. For the price, this car deserves a lot more. Just like the STS...

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Hey JLM...

I am at the crossroads myself... CTS-V... or STS-V with mods like this. On one hand I love the CTS-V's looks and performance potential.. and lord knows that an LS Engine can be modified to the hilt for normally very little (My LS3 in my Z51 is kicking out 477HP at the Fly.. or about 417RWHP, cost me less than $500), but I still love the size of my STS. Seeing the new STS-V only endears me more to it.. as I personally think the 2008 STS is as good looking as the CTS, altho the CTS has a superior interior DESIGN. If Cadillac had of boosted the STS-V's HP via direct-injecting the NS, or performing these "D3" mods, or just giving the car the CTS-V's LSA... my choice would be undoubtedly the STS-V

CmicasatheGreat,

If my needs for a SUV with AWD were not present, I would say the Cadillac STS-V was my overall favorite. And that takes nothing away from the CTS- V. The STS-V size and advance features won me over. And owning the STS V8 with advance features feels like you are giving up something when you experience a car with less features.

The styling and design of the STS-V remains my first preference with the 2009 CTS-V clearly a very close second. The STS-V is perfect to perform double duty. A sleek powerful performance sedan on the weekend and room, luxury for clients during the week.

JLM

1 - 20 of 37 Posts