GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We already knew it was rumored - a small bit of insight from Motor Trend...

SOURCE: Motor Trend

Why not? Cadillac's breakout hit began life as a gussied-up Chevy Tahoe. How big a hit? Word is that Cadillac paid off tooling for the current Escalade just three months after it went on sale. And that's why the division can consider a new SUV -- okay, a crossover SUV -- just as it's putting the big DT7 DTS/STS sedan convergence on ice for a year.

The fact that the Lambda platform already is over-subscribed, with the Chevrolet Traverse, Saturn Outlook, GMC Acadia and Buick Enclave is why a Cadillac version makes economic sense. And since GM had considered, but cancelled, a V-8-powered Enclave Super, we know a Lambda Escalade will easily package a V-8, in this case a small block, since the Northstar replacement that was supposed to power the Enclave Super also has been cancelled.
MORE HERE

·
Super Moderator
10,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More commentary on this - and the related - from AutoBlog

SOURCE: AutoBlog

As for the Avalanche-based Escalade EXT, MT says that GM's mulling over the idea of moving to a unibody pickup, a la the Zeta-based GMC Denali XT concept, to replace both of those vehicles. Again, not a bad idea, especially for Cadillac. The downside is that owners of the current vehicles who use them to tow will likely need to look elsewhere to fill that need. Still, if Cadillac's gig is to sell legit luxury vehicles, moving to more car-like platforms makes all kinds of sense. It's going to be really interesting to see if any of this stuff actually pans out.

·
Registered
44,160 Posts
I've said it before... and it bears repeating.

Dumb Move!

While I agree Escalade needs to move to a non-truck platform, Escalade can ill afford to have 4 cousins!!
And moving it to a FWD platform?

A CUV version of Zeta is needed for Escalade.
Don't tell me that with 26 different version of Zeta possible, not one of them is a CUV??

For crying out loud GM, lets' give EVERY BRAND a Lambda!!!
The platform is quickly becoming GM's next bad joke. Might as well build the C7 Corvette on Lambda!!

·
Super Moderator
10,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

Dumb Move!

While I agree Escalade needs to move to a non-truck platform, Escalade can ill afford to have 4 cousins!!

Don't tell me that with 26 different version of Zeta possible, not one of them is a CUV??

The platform is quickly becoming GM's next bad joke. Might as well build the C7 Corvette on Lambda!!
I think the better move would also be to move it to a crossover version of Zeta - that would be my choice, but I guess they dont really care about our opinion.

It should be possible - shouldn't it? I mean, Ford offers the Territory and it's built on a similar unibody platform and Holden used to offer the Adventura for a time. I dont see how this wouldn't be possible.

As for every brand getting a version of the Lambda platform - honestly, I think it will be resolved eventually. If GM can somehow reshuffle the deck into 3 sales channels, then we'd be left with the Enclave, the Traverse, and the Escalade. That would be MORE than enough to suit the different sales channels while cutting two redudant (and slow-selling) versions.

However, between now and then it's a different story. They are going to be wasting advertising dollars and valuably marketing muscle promoting the Outlook and Acadia - only to eventually kill them.

Dumb move, indeed.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
What's the advantage of this? People who can afford the Escalade can't afford the gas prices?
Didn't they just the reveal the VueRX?
How many SUVs/X-unders does Cadillac need?

How about working on that STS replacement, GM, instead of trying to rebadge yourself out of a problem that doesn't even exist.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
Enclave Super with the Ultra V8 would be a good idea.

A small-block Escalade Lambda... BAD idea.

Wait a second... a full-size American luxury crossover based on a FWD platform... I've heard this story before.

Or Cadillac replacing a full-frame RWD luxo barge with a smaller FWD-based version carrying the same name.

How did that work out for them?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Well bob lutz said that the Lambda crossover's are not going anywhere in a interview. And the escalade being on the lambda Platforum , I've herd many rumors that these Lambda Platforum can be RWD. If goes on these Lambda platforum it wouldn't FWD I can tell you that.

·
Registered
458 Posts

Dumb Move!

I think the better move would also be to move it to a crossover version of Zeta
I think both of you guys are right,here. The Escalade could stand to be more car-like, but it (like the new SRX) should not be FWD. Let Buick handle that with the Enclave and [a possible] Rendezvous.

nadepalma said:
As for every brand getting a version of the Lambda platform - honestly, I think it will be resolved eventually. If GM can somehow reshuffle the deck into 3 sales channels, then we'd be left with the Enclave, the Traverse, and the Escalade. That would be MORE than enough to suit the different sales channels while cutting two redudant (and slow-selling) versions.

However, between now and then it's a different story. They are going to be wasting advertising dollars and valuably marketing muscle promoting the Outlook and Acadia - only to eventually kill them.

Dumb move, indeed.
Yes it is. I think they both need to stay but need to be less like the current lambdas. The current size is best for Chevy/Buick.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
It can work if done right. Case in point is the current Escalade.

HOWEVER, will it kill the Enclave and where Buick was going with it?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Word is that Cadillac paid off tooling for the current Escalade just three months after it went on sale.

3 months? What took it so long? All they did was tack on 'Escalade' on the rear hatch and adorn the wresth & crest.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I think the Enclave is a wonderful vehicle. I would like to know how it can possibly be made even better as a Cadillac. I guess you can throw some extra high-tech bells and whistles in there, and of course the V8, but is that really enough to make a business case for it? Don't forget about "continuous AWD" or something stupid like that which will probably be standard. Yeah, that's really needed down here in the South.

I just don't get this decision. Can't the people who buy Escalades afford the gas? Is the 2 or 3 mpgs saved by moved to the Lambda platform really worth the trouble? If you are so worried about image, Cadillac, why don't you just make EVERY Escalade a hybrid? Or, here's a crazy idea... keep improving the current 'Slade to make it even more fuel-efficient. Giving up like this is just stupid. The Escalade is a true Cadillac, in its over-the-top brashness and extravagance. To sacrifice that equity, despite what the critics say, is just retarded.

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
In principal I do not object to GM getting more use out of the Lambda platform, the more it is used the more the factories are utilized etc.

That being said, I would consider this more palatable to all of us if the Cadillac got significant sheet metal differentiation so that it is not at all obvious who the cousins are. I would forsee at least the A pillar forward, maybe some visual tweaks on the doors (like with the current Escalade) and the rear end. Potentially the Art & Scienceing of the platform could take care of this, certainly a front grill similar to the CTS should also help.

They maybe... maybe able to make a V series model too if they can package a big enough engine in the front along with AWD.... though admittedly the Lambda's are maybe a bit too big for that treatment.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts

Dumb Move!

I agree totally. This is a bad move. A Zeta crossover would be much more in line with Cadillac and its mostly RWD offerings. A dressed up? Buick Enclave won't fit the bill. This would make Buick even more redundant which I thought GM was trying to remedy.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I think the Enclave is a wonderful vehicle. I would like to know how it can possibly be made even better as a Cadillac. I guess you can throw some extra high-tech bells and whistles in there, and of course the V8, but is that really enough to make a business case for it? Don't forget about "continuous AWD" or something stupid like that which will probably be standard. Yeah, that's really needed down here in the South.

I just don't get this decision. Can't the people who buy Escalades afford the gas? Is the 2 or 3 mpgs saved by moved to the Lambda platform really worth the trouble? If you are so worried about image, Cadillac, why don't you just make EVERY Escalade a hybrid? Or, here's a crazy idea... keep improving the current 'Slade to make it even more fuel-efficient. Giving up like this is just stupid. The Escalade is a true Cadillac, in its over-the-top brashness and extravagance. To sacrifice that equity, despite what the critics say, is just retarded.
Remember folks... we no longer have an open market system for automobiles... it's legislated what the manufacturers will build and offer.

It's called CAFE.

GM's corporate-wide average can't withstand more 12-14 MPG vehicles like the Escalade. Sure I'll bet they could scale down manufacturing and still sell most for a meager profit but CAFE won't let them, especially if the EPA sticks the Volt with a ~48 MPG rating instead of true 100+MPG due to their unfair testing practices.

-John K.

·
Premium Member
34,350 Posts
The next Escalade needs to go onto CTS plartform. Not FWD. It certainly commands the price point at which it could sell well. Just give it the 22 inch rims and good ofroad capabilities.

·
Registered
480 Posts
What's the advantage of this? People who can afford the Escalade can't afford the gas prices?
Didn't they just the reveal the VueRX?
How many SUVs/X-unders does Cadillac need?

How about working on that STS replacement, GM, instead of trying to rebadge yourself out of a problem that doesn't even exist.
As soon as they finish redesigning it , these DT7 project was out-dated and a old design.

1 - 20 of 178 Posts