GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Source: MOTOR TREND

Motor Trend magazine, the world's #1 automotive authority and part of the PRIMEDIA Consumer Automotive Group, today announced the selection of the Ford F-150 as the 2004 Truck of the Year. Each year Motor Trend evaluates all the new vehicles, and selects the pickup truck that most clearly raises the bar in the category, specifically in terms of significance, superiority and value.

"The new F-150 represents a huge step forward in pickup-truck design, styling, refinement and overall performance," said Kevin Smith, editor-in-chief of Motor Trend. "Ford has practically reinvented the pickup, and its impact on the marketplace cannot be overstated or ignored. For all these reasons, we are delighted to recognize the Ford F-150 as the single most important truck of this year."

The 2004 Ford F-150 offers 46 different cab/chassis/bed configurations plus five distinctive interior designs. With this whole family of trucks, Ford establishes a new standard for what consumers can expect from a full-size pickup.

"We are very pleased that the Ford F-150 has been named Motor Trend's Truck Of The Year because this honor is the one most recognized by consumers," said Steve Lyons, President - Ford Division. "In fact, Motor Trend's award is a lot like the new F-150 - it carries a lot of weight. We look forward to adding it to our trophy case."

This year, the editorial staff of Motor Trend conducted testing on seven new vehicles, searching for the pickup truck that best represented exceptional value, superiority in its class, and the most significant development on the new-truck scene for 2004. All truly new or substantially revised trucks were considered with the condition that they be available for public sale by January 1, 2004.

For the 2004 Truck of the Year competition, the winner was selected from the following eligible models: Chevrolet Colorado, Chevrolet SSR, Dodge Ram SRT-10, Ford F-150, GMC Canyon, Nissan Titan and the Toyota Tundra Double Cab.

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
I'm quite pleased that the deserving F-150 won TOY. For one thing, the interiors on the upscale Lariat(?) model are amazing. My patriotic side also is pleased that the Titan did NOT win. Sorry, Nissan, maybe the next go-round, eh?

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Yeah as long as the Titan didn't win. It was pretty obvious that the F-150 would win, it is a very good pickup.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Yay Ford.

And everyone else that likes GM should be cheering Ford on too. They need to keep being competition so the General doesn't slack off. The General likes to slack off too much.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm happy for Ford. I read though that even the sales momentum of the F-150 is not enough to offset their market share losses this year. These boys need product and fast.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Originally posted by cvp33@Dec 17 2003, 08:16 PM
I'm happy for Ford. I read though that even the sales momentum of the F-150 is not enough to offset their market share losses this year. These boys need product and fast.
Congrats Ford! Now please sell enough of these to stay in second place. Or take back second place next year.

·
Registered
396 Posts
hey, ford shares went up 10 cents USD. that's like $50 canadian. as much as i dislike ford, i respect them, and wish nothing but the best for their products.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
I was expecting the Nissan Titan to get it, but the reviews so far have said that it wasn't, "better than the new F-150."

I've had the chance to try out the 2004 F-150 XLT, and, frankly, IMHO, I'm not that impressed. Perhaps the Lariat was up for comparison, but the XLT has an interior and dash that are reminiscent of the Corolla's. I like the high-density foam seating for its support, just as I do in the Colorado, but full-size pickup buyers prefer soft comfort over supportave comfort.

We had a 2005 F-150 Extended Cab XLT 4x4 traded in with 1,300 miles b/c the owner couldn't stand it, and wanted to get back into a Chevy Silverado LS. Fortunately, we had the F-150 sold before the trade, so the owner didn't take a particularly huge hit on it in getting back into the best truck available.

Chevy truck fans, fear not. It all just means more F-150s on our used-car lots.

Ghrankenstein

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
I like GM, but I won't applaud them unless they deserve it. Blind praise does nobody any good. GM needs to get with the program on interior design and execution...Ford is killing GM on almost every front here... Navigator vs. Escalade, F150 vs. Silverado, and expect J. Mays to deliver more of the same on the car front. On the flip side, GM's gasoline truck powertrains are second to none. Duramax is strong, but whether it leapfrogs Cummins or not is too early to tell...let's see how many are on the road after 250K. Anyway, I drove a new Ram with the 5.7 Hemi the other day... and it's really rather slow. I expected more from 345 hp. Back to back, I drove a Silverado, same body style, and with the 4.8 it felt just as quick as the Hemi. I really don't believe Dodge's dyno figures now. I think the 5.3 would obliterate the Hemi in a drag race.

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
This is one time when I would actually congratulate Ford. They took a risk, and they deserve the fruits of their labors. Congratulations!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts