GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Specifications:http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...srt8_vs_ford_shelby_gt500/specifications.html

Verdict (i think):

1st Place
Dodge Challenger SRT8
Broad-shouldered good looks, thundering Hemi power, and savvy chassis tuning land Dodge's new old-school muscle machine out front.

2nd Place
Ford Shelby GT500
Still an eye-catcher, and sensationally fast, but archaic chassis and whiney motor weaken its bid for numero uno.
for more details: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_0807_dodge_challenger_srt8_vs_ford_shelby_gt500

i mean dont get me wrong ... i love cars and everything but three pages are alot to read :( ... anyway i'd like to apologize if i'm posting this under the wrong category or if am repeating it .. i'm new and i still didnt get the hang of it :) .. check the table, not in a single aspect did the challenger have better figures than the Stang and it all comes for a price difference of 4k ? nice ... but that didn't quite interest me though ... what really did was the fuel consumption .. the GT is doing significantly better ! way to go Ford.

but if i was to recommend it to someone .. i'd still go for the challenger, a sports car has to handle like one.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Re: <motor trend> Comparison: 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 vs. 2008 Ford Shelby GT500

these are beautiful pictures of two beautiful cars You Americans can be proud of. I would love to see Camaro in this comparison. At the moment Shelby magic wins over Hemi magic.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
Re: <motor trend> Comparison: 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 vs. 2008 Ford Shelby GT500

Kinda ironic to see these two American gas guzzlers posing under a huge "CAFE" sign.

·
Registered
840 Posts

How is the Mustang Chassis archaic? It is 3 years old for christ sake!

·
Registered
5,424 Posts

Was there ever really a question here??

The GT500 has been every magazine hack's favorite whipping boy.....the Challenger is all new & the hype is just about on the Camaro's level

Thank you MT for stating the obvious :rolleyes:

·
Registered
333 Posts

How is the Mustang Chassis archaic? It is 3 years old for christ sake!
I'm guessing that they are talking about the rear suspension. It's funny, two years ago MT was gushing about the live axle being barely noticeable and very well done. They also had nothing but good things to say about the chassis when they picked it over a Viper SRT10 in the Z06-GT500-Viper comparo a couple months later.

The Challenger is new - it was going to win anyways, so MT needed something bad to say about the Shelby.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts

Considering the price tags and fuel prices, I'd take a Bullitt or Challenger R/T at $30k over either of those.

·
Registered
8,963 Posts

Considering the price tags and fuel prices, I'd take a Bullitt or Challenger R/T at $30k over either of those.
I agree, especially if you're actually going to drive it often. It's really a shame to see this photo minus the Camaro.

·
Banned
11,892 Posts

The Challenger could be the better car, but if it were my money I'll get the Shelby. Next to the Shelby, the Challenger surprisingly look dull.
Actually, I'd get the Camaro, but I admit to being GM biased.

·
Registered
8,963 Posts

The Challenger could be the better car, but if it were my money I'll get the Shelby. Next to the Shelby, the Challenger surprisingly look dull.
Actually, I'd get the Camaro, but I admit to being GM biased.
Funny how people see things differently. Maybe it's because I am a previous Mustang owner but to me the Challenger looks clean and fresh and the Mustang is really showing it's age. It also might be the fact that I have seen a hundred Mustangs every time I have left the house for over 4 years now.

lio45, Very clever. I think they did that on purpose because the Cafe sign above the pumps is clearly a Photoshop job.

·
Registered
46 Posts

according to me the mustang is the best,,;)

thanks GoldFish:cool:

·
Registered
2,903 Posts

I haven't driven a Challenger..yet...but I expect it to be a very fun ride. I've driven a few GT500's and the power is just plain awesome. Too much pedal at low speeds and the tires just lose their grip and will go up in smoke if you hold it. Enjoy these muscle cars while you can, for their days are numbered!

·
Registered
272 Posts

I'm guessing that they are talking about the rear suspension. It's funny, two years ago MT was gushing about the live axle being barely noticeable and very well done.
That was before Ford tried pumping 500+ HP into it. That, and for so much cheaper, Saleen and Rouche both produce faster, better handling cars for less money.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts

cant wait for the camaro to smoke both of them.

dont know which one i would get, but i think the stang looks better. its different enough from your standard mustang to know its not no poser v6. and the challenger looks very bloated, not sleek at all. i have yet to see the challenger in person however.

·
Registered
333 Posts

That was before Ford tried pumping 500+ HP into it. That, and for so much cheaper, Saleen and Rouche both produce faster, better handling cars for less money.
No, MT was referring to the GT500 not the regular ol' GT...

·
Registered
863 Posts

Good point. The Roush Mustang Stage 3 handily outperforms the GT500.
(top gear proved this quite well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1s9zG0FAqQ )

The GT500 starts at $42,330 (tho most I see around here sticker for 50k) where as the stage 3 starts at 21k + the price of a base GT which starts at $26,240 for a total starting price of $47,240. So they are within 5k of each other depending on markups and options.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts