GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM's Barra highest paid among Detroit Three CEOs

Detroit — General Motors Co. CEO Mary Barra was paid nearly $23.7 million in 2020, the automaker reported in a Securities and Exchange Commission filing Friday.
Barra's pay increased from her 2019 compensation of $21.6 million. She maintained her position as the highest paid CEO among the Detroit Three automakers in 2020. Ford Motor Co. CEO Jim Farley, who assumed the top job in October, made $11.8 million in 2020. His predecessor Jim Hackett received $16.7 million in total compensation. And in his last year leading Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV before the merger with French rival Groupe PSA , CEO Mike Manley received $10.4 million.

The COVID-19 pandemic led all three Detroit automakers to close plants for eight weeks in spring 2020 and pushed automakers into personal protective equipment and ventilator manufacturing. Auto sales rebounded swiftly in 2020 leading to a surprisingly strong turnaround for the industry.
GM made $6.4 billion for the year on revenue of $122.5 billion. Barra's base salary dropped from $2.1 million to $1.995 million in 2020 because of a pandemic executive compensation deferral. Barra also received a $3.78 million incentive-based bonus for 2020, up from last year's $2.7 million. The bonus is determined by financial performance and meeting strategic goals.

GM estimated that its median employee compensation was $117,566 in 2020 making Barra's pay ratio 201-to-1.
Pay for other GM executives in 2020 included:

·
Registered
6,599 Posts
She's worth every penny.

Reactions: impala02 and Ute

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
She's had the best results and deserves the highest pay package. It's in line with CEO's of other major companies. If you don't like the size of CEO pay packages, that is a different topic. MB has done well and got her just reward.
Speaking to the issue of executive compensation, a topic which I think is particularly germane these days, I'd recommend two well-written and well-researched books that touch on the issue (and much more): The Economists' Hour by Binyamin Appelbaum and The Meritocracy Trap by Daniel Markovits. Both touch on topics often repeated on this site in other threads.

And if you're particularly bored, I also finished China by Thomas Orlik, a sobering, again well-researched book that provides a fairly balanced perspective on China's rise, both the promise and pitfalls. Again, this is a popular topic for some on this site.

Lastly, given that a couple of months ago people were waxing poetic about GM and its role in the Arsenal of Democracy, I decided to check out Freedom's Forge: How American Business Produced Victory in World War II by Arthur Herman. That, too, provided a more balanced, and less nostalgic, perspective on the role of American corporations in WWII.

·
Premium Member
33,711 Posts
It's immature at best and sexist at worst. I am far from a feminist but it is a dumb nickname that is gone on here for a long time.
Mother in my culture is a term of endearment and respect. Its the Equivalent of Mrs. in English. We are all not of the same culture you know. Its the world wide web.

Notice I always capitalize Mother and Barrah. Why do you assume its disrespect? One cultural lenses?

·
Super Moderator
20,921 Posts
Mother in my culture is a term of endearment and respect. Its the Equivalent of Mrs. in English. We are all not of the same culture you know. Its the world wide web.

Notice I always capitalize Mother and Barrah. Why do you assume its disrespect? One cultural lenses?
You're spelling her name wrong constantly.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Hooked on phonics lessons aside, MB (M for Mary) (B for Barra) deserves every bit of it. If she needs help spending it I can definitely help out with that part. I'll burn through that 23M like a meth addict who just won the powerball.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hooked on phonics lessons aside, MB (M for Mary) (B for Barra) deserves every bit of it. If she needs help spending it I can definitely help out with that part. I'll burn through that 23M like a meth addict who just won the powerball.
Interesting comparison.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts