GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you buy that car again?

Back in 1901, Packard ads urged early auto shoppers to “ask the man who owns one.” Today, as part of our Annual Questionnaire, we ask our subscribers--the men and the women who own a car or truck--whether they would buy that model again, considering its price, performance, comfort, and reliability

The more than 226,000 responses to that question yielded the owner-satisfaction ratings in our vehicle profiles and the highs and lows listed here. Even the least-satisfied owners were far from miserable. But their responses can help you choose a model you’ll find satisfying to own:

• Imports continue to outscore domestics. Asian and European brands fill all but 3 of the 33 slots within our Most Satisfying list. Two of those three, the Avalanche and Corvette, are Chevrolets, while the third--the Hummer H2--is based on the Chevrolet Tahoe.

• Hybrids are a hit. The first-generation, 2001 to 2003 gas-electric Toyota Prius tied with the nonhybrid Lexus LS430 luxury sedan as the most satisfying overall. Close behind: Honda’s Civic Hybrid.

• Car-based, unibody sport-utility vehicles outstrip conventional, body-on-frame models. More than 25 percent of satisfaction reports were for SUVs, and owner preferences are clear. This year’s Most Satisfying list includes nine car-based SUVs and only three with a separate frame. Though large SUVs were well liked, conventional, body-on-frame SUVs account for the most low scorers.

• Passion often outweighs practicality. Sports-car and sporty-car owners were most satisfied overall. Least enthused were owners of minivans, despite those vehicles’ user-friendly designs.
http://aolsvc.aol.consumerreports.org/auto...ID=AAOCA&id=109

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
good to see that there isnt a whole lot of GM cars on the negitive side. And any that are there are on there way out.

·
Registered
104 Posts
An interesting article. Surprisingly, at least to me, is that the Chrysler offerings are percieved so poorly.. I owned a Plymouth Minivan, drove it for almost 200K, and when I finally got rid of it, it was just worn out. It is without a doubt, the best vehicle I have ever owned.

On the other hand, I have an 04 GTP. I like it despite its percieved old-tech engine. It does all that I ask of it and performs well. I liked my Firebirds (67, 75, 76) and am saddened that they arent made any longer.

I also own a Taurus SHO. I love the car; I hate the company. FORD has pooched me one time too many. The infamous 3.8l V6 with the bad headgaskets, in the Mercury Marquis I had, and the SHO V8 with the amazing fall apart camshafts. Of course FORD only built them, it wasnt THEIR fault. Another FudMoco product will never live in my garage.

But thats my opinion. Some might say I am wrong.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Well I'm on my fourth 4th gen Camaro if that says anything. I'm getting sick of the incredibly uncomfortable seats though. I test drove a C5 Corvette though recently and let me just say that my next car will be a used C5. :afro:

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by SuperDave479@Mar 30 2004, 02:12 PM
Well I'm on my fourth 4th gen Camaro if that says anything. I'm getting sick of the incredibly uncomfortable seats though. I test drove a C5 Corvette though recently and let me just say that my next car will be a used C5. :afro:
Superdave... is that... a 350 badge on your car? Did you swap out the LS1?
And I like the 4th gen seats...well better then my 87's. Im actualy looking for a set of 4th gen grey cloth bird seats.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
I could care less about people stroking their Volkwagens in their driveways as the quality scores fall further behind GM. ;)

"Imports have that hard to define Panache that makes us fond of them," said the metrosexual preppy boy with the turtleneck and fauxhawk hair. "Like how a bottle of wine from France is preferred over even an arguably superior California or Texas variety."

:plasma:

Further evidence that I could care less about what other people think --- I recently restored a Pontiac Sunbird convertible. I could have bought something more acceptable to the nodding heads at Starbucks, but.....skrew 'em. :p

·
Registered
107 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28+Mar 30 2004, 09:25 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigals87z28 @ Mar 30 2004, 09:25 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-SuperDave479@Mar 30 2004, 02:12 PM
Well I'm on my fourth 4th gen Camaro if that says anything. I'm getting sick of the incredibly uncomfortable seats though. I test drove a C5 Corvette though recently and let me just say that my next car will be a used C5.  :afro:
Superdave... is that... a 350 badge on your car? Did you swap out the LS1?
And I like the 4th gen seats...well better then my 87's. Im actualy looking for a set of 4th gen grey cloth bird seats. [/b][/quote]
Yeah it's a 350 badge. Yeah a LS1 is technically 346 but it's better than the 350s were back in the day anyway so it's close enough.

I'm sorry but 4th gen Camaro seats are the most uncomfortable seats I've ever sat in. I've sat in a 3rd gen before but I don't remember the seats.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
There are no Fords on either list at all, which is surprising. I guess it's good in that none were on the least-satisfying list.

Well, the Mazda Miata MX-5 was on the most satisfying list, now that I look a bit closer.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Originally posted by markform@Mar 30 2004, 12:38 PM
These surveys are worthless!

There are way too many variables that bias the results.

For one thing - Buyers of the most popular domestic cars tend to be repeat buyers of that car - the best compliment you can pay a car. Ford/Chevy trucks, Lesabres, Suburbans, Explorers, Devilles & Town cars - people keep buying these same vehicles year in and year out. They usually pay cash for them, and could care less what other people think. When a survey comes in the mail - they probably toss it in the trash.

Silverado & F150 are not on any list, yet they are the best sellers year after year. Doesn't make sense, does it?

As I said, these surveys are useless.
I wouldn't go so far as to call them worthless because it does show the domestic manufacturers that they do have some work to do to turn around the public's perception of them - which is a good thing. We DO want them to turn around the public's perception of them by bringing out BETTER and BETTER products.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
There seamed to me anyways to be alot of GM's on the negative side, vehicles that are being adressed now though like J-car, U-van tracker and S trucks.

GM must not hold on to dying lines to long or the competition will surpass them!

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by doh@Mar 31 2004, 10:15 AM
There seamed to me anyways to be alot of GM's on the negative side, vehicles that are being adressed now though like J-car, U-van tracker and S trucks.

GM must not hold on to dying lines to long or the competition will surpass them!
Indeed! Which reminds me of this post: http://www.gminsidenews.com/forum/index.ph...?showtopic=3963

:zippy:

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Mar 30 2004, 06:49 PM
Further evidence that I could care less about what other people think --- I recently restored a Pontiac Sunbird convertible. I could have bought something more acceptable to the nodding heads at Starbucks, but.....skrew 'em. :p
for the love of the game, eh? you're a saint among us... long live your sunbird 'vert! and forget the starbucks crew... a doubt a double chai latte grande would fit in the cupholder anyways!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Mar 30 2004, 01:49 PM
...I could have bought something more acceptable to the nodding heads at Starbucks, but.....skrew 'em. :p
:lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts