GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple. What are the most commonly vehicles seen in your area?

Here near Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, a lot of people drive small Peroduas and Protons due to their low price (foreign cars are heavily taxed), as well as the Toyota Camry (Asian version, 1990s - present models), Toyota Corolla (1980s - present), Honda Accord (1990 - present), Honda Civic (1990 - present), Honda City and Nissan Versa (called the Latio here). GMDAT Chevrolets are also quite popular including the Optra and Aveo.

Luxury cars include the BMW 3, 5 and 7 series, X3 and X5, and the Mercedes-Benz A, C, E, and S class (the GL is not sold here), along with occasional R and MLs, all past and present models. A number also drive Audis, with a small sprinkling of Lexuses.

SUVs include the Toyota Unser, Lexus RX (also called the Toyota Harrier, some have Toyota badges), Isuzu Trooper, Mitsubishi Pajero, Ford Everest. I also saw a few 90s Ford Explorers. There are also some Ford Escapes.

Trucks include the Toyota Hilux, Mitsubishi Triton, and Ford Ranger. I maybe should also include the SsangYong Actyon (which is quite ugly).

·
Super Moderator
21,022 Posts
Oddly enough, I see a ton of GMT-360s around here. Of course, you have a lot of failrys running around. GMT-900s are pretty popular here too. And I'm starting to see more and more Malibus, I see at least one every time I go out.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
In NW Ohio, they pretty much follow the sales charts. But we do have a greater proliferation of Jeeps, as we have Jeep production, and Kias, as the Kia dealer here says they are #1 in the nation. The most popular luxury cars here seem to be Lincolns, Cadillacs, Lexuses, and BMWs.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
In Rochester NY I see tons of accords. Seems like more than Camrys. Pontiac does pretty well. I see tons of Sunfires and G6s. Lots of 900s. As far as Luxury cars it's mostly Lexus. Especially the RX. I see more Escalades than any other Cadillac. Lots of crossovers, especially the Edge, Lambdas, and Murano(sp)

·
Registered
19 Posts
In Nova Scotia, on the east coast of Canada, I see the following as dominate:

Toyota Carolla (1990 - present)
Honda Civic/Accord (1990 - present)
Chevrolet Cavalier/Pontiac Sunfire (1996 - 2002 models)
Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra 1500 (1999 - 2007 models)
Chevrolet Impala & Chevrolet Malibu (New style '08 Malibu & '06 - present Impala)

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
I am TDY in Arlington, VA right now. I have been in shock of the number of privately owned Camry Hybrids, and Prius I have seen. It is staggering. The most popular domestically owned vehicle I see is the 2008 Ford Focus.

Since this is DC do not forget the ass-load of BMW and Mercedes too.

Sadly, Pontiac G6 is the most popular rental followed by Ford Taurus. I am sporting (HA!) a Pontiac Vibe right now.

In Hunstville, where I normally live, it is the Lexus RXanything(300-350h). Pick-ups are also quite popular.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I am TDY in Arlington, VA right now. I have been in shock of the number of privately owned Camry Hybrids, and Prius I have seen. It is staggering.
It's in no small part because hybrids can use Virginia's HOV lanes.

The cars common in my part of the DC area are pretty much what's most popular nationwide. The only exception I can think of offhand is that there are relatively few current-gen Civics.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
^^^ Thanks for the clarification. Nothing like legislation that helps the home team. To be fair our domestic choices are just starting to get interesting. I am not an SUV lover, so Escape/Mercury/Vue did not cut it for me.

·
Registered
44,432 Posts
Cars that dominate here are mainly from Bavaria, Stuttgart, Wolfsburg, and Ingolstadt. That's pretty much across the board.

And of course, you'll see the standard trifecta from Japan (ToyHoNiss)

American cars that are seen are of the SUV persuasion. You will see a few others here and there. About 50% of the time, it's a rental.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Here in SoCal, it's mostly BMWs, Benzs, Porsches, Land Rovers, and Lexuses on the westside. In working class neighborhoods, its Chevrolets, Fords, Toyotas, Hondas, and Nissans. Basically, its across the board. Volkswagens seem to be popular with white chicks and g a y dudes. Asians prefers Toyotas, Hondas, and the Lexus RX. Hispanics prefer Ford Expeditions, Explorers, Focuses, and Mustangs. Working class whites prefer Chevrolet Tahoe, Blazer, Cavalier and Civics.

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
In Raleigh-Durham it's mostly Camrys and Accords, Impalas, and big domestic trucks and SUV's. I see a l ot more Dodge trucks up here than in Louisiana.

In New Orleans I would say Nissan and Hyundai are the two most common new cars you see around town, especially Altimas and Elantras. Mitsubishis used to be real popular when the Galant was the "in" thing. The Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300 are real popular too. You dont see as many Toyotas here unless you go out to the suburbs. The only popular GM cars are the Cavalier, Cobalt and Impala. Baby SUVs like Rogues and RAV4s are very popular in New Orleans but I dont hardly ever see any when I'm in North Carolina.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Here in Brisbane, it's mostly Falcons and Commodores, and in north-west Queensland, you can add Landcrusiers and Patrols to that list.

But the most common sight on any outback highway is a Roadtrain.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Trucks rule here. I see mostly F-Series, followed by Silverados, then Rams. The most popular SUVs are Tahoes and Suburbans. The most popular cars are Mustangs, F-bodies, 300s, Camrys, Civics, and Hyundais

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
I can break this down by the last few places that I've lived.

Atlanta- Toyota Camry, BMW 3 series, Toyota 4 runner

Houston- Dodge Ram, Ford F150, Honda Accord, any kind of convertible (lots of Nissan Zs, Corvettes, and Mustang Convertibles).

Charleston- Honda Civic (I've also seen 3 SMART cars oddly enough).

LSU (Baton Rouge)- Toyota Prius, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Honda Civic, Pontiac G6, Chevy Tahoe

Lafayette, LA- Ford F250 (with oil services company name on doors), any Mercedes or Lexus vehicle.

On the interstates around here, I see a bunch of Ford F series and Chevy Silverado HDs, lots of those little crossover SUVs, and a lot of Freightliner branded tractor trailers.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
I'd say the biggest portion are GM around here but hey it's Lansing

1 - 20 of 39 Posts