GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Source from Detroit News:
http://info.detnews.com/redesign/autoreviews/index.cfm?action=sneak&id=32787

I really think this SUV is stylish and such a beauty. At least, it's not a rebadged Saturn Vue. Don't get me wrong, i've never said new Vue is a bad car. what i meant is GM doing more homework and hopefully will improve everything.
I will definitely looking for a SUV this size instead of the Tahoe, well another great car just not for my size.
I see some weird equipments installed on the testing vehicle, and it will be improvements over the Vue(think of the Malibu to the Aura). Hoping the day is coming soon.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Cool. I can't wait to see the whole thing uncovered. I'm actually more interested in the engine. Lutz said something in a press conference about a 215 hp, 2.3L 4 cyl with DI. That would be a great engine for a lot of GM products.

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
There were rumors for awhile that the 'Nox would get a new 2.3L I4 that put out around 200hp. Anyone hear an update on this rumor or if that engine program is moving forward?

I think it would be great to see such an engine at GM. It would make a great "mid-level" engine for GM across the board (I could see it in the Malibu or G6) and a great "upper-engine" engine for some of the smaller cars (the Cobalt, Astra, etc -- you could almost see the Cobalt/Cruze getting such an engine to split the hairs between the lower engine/base engine and the top-end/SS Turbo engine).

I hope it moves forward.

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
It looks like a dumbed down version of the Vue, which I like better.

Why can't GM put wheel spoilers instead of that ugly lower front air dam? I don't understand the point of GM's crossovers. They don't cross anything...it's an overweight station wagon. I'd rather a Subaru Outback.

Even the Ford Escape and Honda Pilot are moderately useful in some non- suburban mall driving.

Can we give the Equinox some heavier mechanicals and some sort of low range? Jeep does it somehow. Otherwise, I'm still not convinced that crossovers are a replacement for body on frame trucks. Seriously, is it possible? The VW Toureg, Jeep GC, and Mercedes ML are good examples.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
That's rather nice! All those out there that want a shorter Lambda, there you go...this should do fine. Some think Buick needs a shorter Enclave, so perhaps they could get this, or GMC version (not both, people will say, too many rebadges).

As for this Equinox, looks real nice, should sell well next to the Traverse.

**As a side note: Some feel that GM has too many crossovers. Has anyone seen the commercial for Nissan, that shows the Murano and the Rogue? Tell me those aren't just about identical looking.**

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
I now wonder how people could still justify driving a Toyota or CR-V home when you could drive a vue home. This looks even better.
Easy. GM blew a key attribute of the cute ute segment, Economy. The Vue's mileage is atrocious.

In my opinion, MPG is THE crucial attribute in this segment. Sure, the BAS hybrid gets good MPG & the two mode gets excellent MPG, but they're FWD only--which begs the question--why even bother with an SUV at that point? Couldn't they go the extra tenth of a mile and add AWD? Might as well jack up a RWD Sky and add A/T tires and a Z-71 badge, it makes as much sense to me.

Any one looking for an AWD (c)Ute with MPG competetive to the best of the segment (Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Mitsu) has only the archaic Escape to choose from if they want to stick with a domestically headquartered manufacturer. Unfortunately, the Escape does not stack up so well against the competition.

From some of GM's recent efforts, I am confident that the new Equinox will have a competetive interior. But the new Equinox needs to address the obvious shortcomings of painfully inadequate MPG of GM's previous (c)Ute attempts otherwise it will just be another wallowing failure.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Can we give the Equinox some heavier mechanicals and some sort of low range? Jeep does it somehow. Otherwise, I'm still not convinced that crossovers are a replacement for body on frame trucks. Seriously, is it possible? The VW Toureg, Jeep GC, and Mercedes ML are good examples.

Totaly agree :yup:

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
There is nothing that prevents them from expending the time/effort/expense to design in long suspension travel tucking stuff like shock mounts & exhaust into the undercarriage, low range gearing, modifying bumper designs with angle of approach/departure in mind, room for decent A/T tires, etc.

But, when <5% of current customers value such attributes, I guess mftrs don't want to take the chance, just like with manual transmissions. The few of us that value this stuff are out in the cold.

It's just too bad that the majority of the public would rather make significant sacrifices in MPG so that their wagon doesn't look like what their parents drove.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts