GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Whoa. That's a GMT 360-based SUV? I'd say that's some pretty good work. From those pictures, it doesn't look like anyone is going to mistake it for a Trailblazer.

...is that just me? :unsure:

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Yeah, you know I really like this vehicle. Clearly a good 360 variant, literally "360" degrees from the others.

The problem is, it's a great American sport-ute, but not an ideal Saab. I think alot of the people who are cheering over this vehicle are saying "I like it" but probably don't really know much about Saab. And it's a big distinction. Saab is one of the few GM brands that really has definition and focus. GM cannot let that distinctiveness erode, or Saab will be right there with Pontiac and Buick as a storied brand that needs to find itself again.

·
Registered
39 Posts
its true about how it is a nice car, but not a true saab. i think saab would have done great with a more infiniti fx/nissan murano style suv. this should do well, but i think a little smaller suv might have fit saab better. it could do well, though it might steal some buick rainier sales as a mid-luxury suv. but i guess it's not really stealing sales, just spreading them out. 9-7x should steal some sales from MDX, M-class benz, beamers, and Lexus GX. the other european suvs really aren't that great, so people who like euro cars should gobble this one up. some of the japanese suv's are getting dated, so it could steal some of their sales too. it will also help get people in saab dealerships, and if people realize that saabs are not outrageously priced cars, it could help saab a lot. should be good overall though, i'm glad GM didnt just blatently rebadge and actually put good thought in it to help keep it saabish

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Originally posted by bradlemp@Apr 7 2004, 04:11 PM
the other european suvs really aren't that great, so people who like euro cars should gobble this one up. some of the japanese suv's are getting dated, so it could steal some of their sales too.
Have you seen how many X5s, XC90s, and M-Classes are on the road? If they're not great, then why are they on the road? Plus, the XC90 is one of the better selling SUVs on the market.

I wouldn't say the Japanese SUVs are getting outdated. They offer great safety features, better gas mileage, good audio systems, and they sell really good. The RX330 is probably one of the best SUVs in the luxury SUV market.

ON THE 9-7x

Umm, I want to like it because it's a SAAB, but I'm still not able to. It's ok, but not really class-leading. For the price, I'll stick to an SRX.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Nice job. Well differentiated from its brothers in the 360 line. Interior looks very nice, very clean and Scandinavian. I'm not thrilled, but I'm not disappointed, either.

·
Registered
259 Posts
At least GM kept the Saab-ish cupholder. <_<

·
Registered
215 Posts
Jeez, Saab surprised me and messed up the interior big time. The shape/placement of the wood is terrible. Blah. Exterior is pretty good, though.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I like the new 9-7X....it looks amazing...i'm not sure how well it'll do as a saab however....perhaps an equinox style/size SUV would be better suited to the saab image...or perhaps no SUV at all....yes, that would be better....either way....it's a nice loking vehicle...just shouldnt be a saab

·
Registered
76 Posts
I agree... I mentioned about using the Equinox/Vue platform on another site. A Saab should have a sporting character that only a car-based platform could provide. And GM could've used the 4.2 with twin-turbos here(or the inline five turbo). I just can't really accept a 5.3 V8 Saab... I feel that most Saab loyalists won't either... but

That being said.., GM design or Saab really did a nice job with what they had to work with. I mean the other variants of the Trailblazer have been...( like the Trailblazer), but the Saab looks attractive and has a gorgeous interior. (Someone criticized the interior but take a look inside any Envoy, Trailblazer, Rainer, Ascender, Bravada... and you'll see that the 9-7x is much better). This vehicle will do well...

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm completely dissapointed. It looks just like its bretheren. Different nose. Same body, same tail same cheap interior. It won't sell at all. :(

·
Registered
39 Posts
Originally posted by RCtennis3811+Apr 7 2004, 06:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RCtennis3811 @ Apr 7 2004, 06:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bradlemp@Apr 7 2004, 04:11 PM
the other european suvs really aren't that great, so people who like euro cars should gobble this one up.  some of the japanese suv's are getting dated, so it could steal some of their sales too.
Have you seen how many X5s, XC90s, and M-Classes are on the road? If they're not great, then why are they on the road? Plus, the XC90 is one of the better selling SUVs on the market.

I wouldn't say the Japanese SUVs are getting outdated. They offer great safety features, better gas mileage, good audio systems, and they sell really good. The RX330 is probably one of the best SUVs in the luxury SUV market.

ON THE 9-7x

Umm, I want to like it because it's a SAAB, but I'm still not able to. It's ok, but not really class-leading. For the price, I'll stick to an SRX. [/b][/quote]
the reason i said that they are not great is because that is what i have heard from people who have them adn from some car reviews. however, the reason you see a lot of them is because people want to drive an european suv, even if it isn't the best out there. now, people have the saab to choose from. the x5 and m-class really aren't special suv's from what i've heard and read, especially the m-class, which looks like a minivan. they're just european,a nd that's why they sell. i agree with the statement about the rx, that is the top lux suv out there, based on looks and price and all the criteria. saab really should have gotten an equinox based suv, but i guess hindsight is 20-20

·
Registered
201 Posts
I cringed when I first heard the 9-7x was going to be based on the Trailblazer, but I must say the end result is much better than I expected. What we have here is great execution of a bad idea.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Originally posted by Artie@Apr 8 2004, 06:58 PM
looks good in black
TOTALLY! :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts