GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot on this site dislike Holden, for some reasons which I don't yet understand. But I really like them. I wish the GTO had a package like this.

Image courtesy of Holden(Special Vehicles)........Drive on.
I love it.

Guess I need to move.*puts ear goggles on and sings along "I come from the land down under....................."*

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
What makes you think people on this site dislike Holden. I think Holden is great. As a division of GM they demonstrate what can be done on a limited number of platforms, with limited budgets, in a much smaller market. GM could learn many lessons from Holden.
As for the Coupe4 being offered as a GTO. It is a great looking car but it would be considerably more expensive than what is being sold as the GTO. The Monaro is for the masses as is the GTO. However I do remember reading Bob Lutz saying something to the effect GM will offer the parts through its US dealers to make a GTO look like the car you posted.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you have been around (I know you have) and read the posts about GM using the Manaro for the GTO, you should understand what I meant. I didn't say everyone, I said a lot.

I suggested that it have a PACKAGE like this. An option. Something extra. Not the base.

·
Registered
129 Posts
It's amazing that a body kit can change the opinions of so many. I've seen numerous posts showing the Coupe 4 and asking the same question. Why didn't they build this. THEY DID! It's 200lbs. of fiberglass and AWD away from being the same car. BTW, I love the Coupe 4 too. :lol:

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
It makes it look like much less of a "jellybean", and a little more like an Opel with the defined, carved wheel arches. I like it a lot.

Maybe GM will be nice and offer the body kit.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wonder if that is why the link on Holdens and the website said HSV? :rolleyes: And why the pic says Coupé 4? Come on guys, give me a break.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
I don't believe anyone dislikes Holden. I think they just don't really like the idea of rebadging a Holden as a Pontiac, especially one called GTO. The transformation to GTO has made a relatively bland car style wise, and that's what most people don't like. I don't think you can fault the car (or company) itself.

That body kit I'm sure will be available soon from aftermarket sources.

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Yeah, I don't think anyone here dislikes Holden, why would they? They are what AChevrolet, Pontiac and Buick should be: Classy Vehicles. The Australians have whipped the american brands in the arse, and they deserve it. In fact, I love the new GTO and pretty much ll of the Holden products, the only thing that i dislike is they ALL look the same...

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You guys may be right. Perhaps if GM had just brought the Holdens over for what they are and not used one for the GTO, people would not have a complaint. I wish they would consider that but with the demise of Oldsmobile that probably wouldn't make sense.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
HSV is just like Ford's SVT, right? It's still "Holden" or so I thought. No reason GM can't use it if that's the case.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Yes, Ming, HSV is Holden's version of Ford's SVT. Except they offer more models than SVT.
As to the comment that all HSV models looking the same?
Lets see how many models does Holden have?
How many platforms do they have to make those models?
Holden is good for GM and HSV is a great template for GM's US Performance division.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I would love it if GM imported Holdens as Holdens. I'm guessing it's not happening because GM knows they'd sell too many of them and put other GM brands out of business.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by chev454ls@Dec 9 2003, 04:17 PM
I would love it if GM imported Holdens as Holdens. I'm guessing it's not happening because GM knows they'd sell too many of them and put other GM brands out of business.
From what I've read the UAW knows this would spell its doom.

After all Car & Driver recently said the GTO's interior was the "Best GM interior in decades".

The UAW and interior guys in Detroit can't be throwing a party over that quote.

·
Registered
26 Posts
correct me if im wrong but doesn't holden create the fender flares in the production line before HSV ever lays a hand on the car? I love this car BTW, cand go wrong with a four wheel drive that behaves like a RWD.

·
Registered
954 Posts
im 99.9 % sure that the fender flares are added after the production line as there is only going to be about 100-200 HSV coupe4's produced and they are the only coupe model that have fender flares.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts