GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
1,188 Posts
"It also will suspend tuition reimbursement and adoption assistance". Umm, these are normal employee benefits? Tuition reimbursemnet for salaried workers? Adoption assistance?? OK, I've heard enough!! Do they buy their house for them too? It's obvious GM has been operating in fantasy land!! I'm sorry, but this takes the cake, they have been closing factories and laying off people on the assembly line but still have been offering these outrageous benefits to their white-collar workforce?
Now I see why GM is having a hard time staying profitable. GM is paying for adoptions, do you now how much an adoption cost?? I do!! GM is still matching 401K after all these years of being in the red? I paid for my education out of my own pocket!! So you can work for GM, get your masters degree paid in full and leave the company for a better job?
I really can't say what's on my mind right now!!!

·
Premium Member
6,308 Posts
"It also will suspend tuition reimbursement and adoption assistance". Umm, these are normal employee benefits? Tuition reimbursemnet for salaried workers? Adoption assistance?? OK, I've heard enough!! Do they buy their house for them too? It's obvious GM has been operating in fantasy land!! I'm sorry, but this takes the cake, they have been closing factories and laying off people on the assembly line but still have been offering these outrageous benefits to their white-collar workforce?
Now I see why GM is having a hard time staying profitable. GM is paying for adoptions, do you now how much an adoption cost?? I do!! GM is still matching 401K after all these years of being in the red? I paid for my education out of my own pocket!! So you can work for GM, get your masters degree paid in full and leave the company for a better job?
Those are very common benefits, and have very strict limitations. They also do not pay much on either. You are having a cow about his, but I had that available to me when I worked at Home Depot. Believe me, they are nothing special, or out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Sorry, but pretty much anyone can screw bolts together. You have to entice skilled engineers and other professionals with benefits like these or they go somewhere else.
Well they're going to be enticing themselves into unemployment pretty soon, So, I'd be putting that adoption on hold anyway and worrying about what I could do to help the companies bottom line.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Sorry, but pretty much anyone can screw bolts together. You have to entice skilled engineers and other professionals with benefits like these or they go somewhere else.
A tad harsh but I agree to a certain extent. Assembly does not take a degree but DOES require proper training and attention to detail. Yes, it is unfortunate tens of thousands of assembly workers will be leaving the auto industry but there are other manufacturing industries that still assemble in the U.S. It's not like they are unemployed for life. With retraining and possibly relocation they can work again in another industry. The fact of the matter is that manufacturing in the auto industry is going the way of home electronics and furniture, the jobs are moving overseas and they aren't coming back. The writing has been on the wall for decades, your head would have to be in the sand if you thought your assembly line job would be there forever.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
They can't cut any more "extras" out of there cars, that's for sure. The base Chrysler 300 we rented had not just a glove-compartment light, but the whole think was covered in a felt/velour type lining. Our SRX's main glove compartment doesn't even have a light in there!

This is just the beginning.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
Well, I bet the assembly line worker in the unemployment line feels really bad for these white collar workers losing all these benefits.
I bet the guy at McDonalds getting minimum wage for a menial labor job feels real bad for the assembly line worker that was making 70K+ for the last 10+ years...what's your point?

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
They can't cut any more "extras" out of there cars, that's for sure. The base Chrysler 300 we rented had not just a glove-compartment light, but the whole think was covered in a felt/velour type lining. Our SRX's main glove compartment doesn't even have a light in there!

My 1987 Reliant has a glovebox light and floor lighting...I can't remember the last modern car I saw with either of these. It also had cruise control and until my Silverado, none of my other cars had this...actually, now that I think of it, my 1985 S-10 had a glovebox light too. My 2002 SC1 and 2004 Silverado do not. :mad:

·
Registered
5,632 Posts

It is incomprehensible that a 50-60K Cadillac Sport Utitilty does not have a glovebox light. It also lacks a passenger door lock cylinder and bodyside moldings which the car manufacturers are using as an excuse for current styling trends when it really amounts to cost cutting. The Impala is really bad. Not only does it lack a glovebox light but also a cigarette lighter, body moldings are now a $100.00 option, no floor shift indicators, no std split folding rear seat, only one rear seat map pocket and no underhood light. The trunk can only be opened by the remote fob or release button on the dash becasue the key cylinder has been omitted along with the passenger lock. Some of this has caught on with other car manufacturers like Ford which has omitted door moldings from all it's car and truck lines except the Fusion/Milan Crown Vic/Grand marquis and Explorer Eddie Bauer models and none of there other cars has a glovebox light or lining. I know of at least 20 folks that I have chatted to about there vehicles that are extremely annoyed by this "decontenting" of product. They then go and look at a 18K Kia Optima or 22K Sorento and low and behold theres a govebox light and felt liner. A bodyside molding is std equipment on most of there cars. There is a keyhole in the trunk and a cigarette lighter and every car they make has a split folding rear seat and center armrest as standard. This alone has prompted many many consumers to buy foreign because they are getting more for there hard earned coin. What can GM and Ford possibly cut or decontent further out of there already lacking vehicles?

·
Banned
1,188 Posts
Go somewhere else? You know of job openings that will put these people back on a nice cushy pillow? Well, start helping these remarkable people get a new job!! Maybe you could get paid a fee. You got engineers coming out of India willing to work for $25,000 to $35,000 dollars a year with no benefits. I'm so impressed that you think these people are so special. It sounds like to me these salaried workers are a bunch of dead wood.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Go somewhere else? You know of job openings that will put these people back on a nice cushy pillow? Well, start helping these remarkable people get a new job!! Maybe you could get paid a fee. You got engineers coming out of India willing to work for $25,000 to $35,000 dollars a year with no benefits. I'm so impressed that you think these people are so special. It sounds like to me these salaried workers are a bunch of dead wood.
I'm sorry you don't think that me working my butt off for the first 22 years of my life deserves something better. Many companies employing Engineers have as good or better benefits than GM or other automotive manufacturers.

A lot of Engineers have left the automotive field in recent years, just as UAW line workers. The difference is that Engineers can switch to a job with similar pay and benefits without a lot of issue. Show me some jobs in the entire world where someone with only a high school diploma and only specialized assembly training can make a UAW wage/benefits. You choose your path in life so don't be mad at someone else's choice.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
Tuition reimbursement is a standard benefit. The idea is, Mr. GM Clerk works during the day, and goes to school at night, and eventually, earns a higher degree so GM can promote him and have an in-house person who knows how the company works. It evens out because HR doesn't need to waste their time looking for external hires, and entices more talented people to come to the company.

Or Mr. GM Assembly Line Dude with only a high school diploma can go to school at night, and when GM closes his plant, he's all set to get another job.

For reference, I haven't paid a cent for education in my life. Public high school, scholarship for undergrad, and my company paid for my MBA and is paying for my Ph.D. Education has always been a high priority in my life, and I know I certainly would not work for a company that didn't offer tuition reimbursement.

·
Registered
168 Posts
It is incomprehensible that a 50-60K Cadillac Sport Utitilty does not have a glovebox light. It also lacks a passenger door lock cylinder and bodyside moldings which the car manufacturers are using as an excuse for current styling trends when it really amounts to cost cutting. The Impala is really bad. Not only does it lack a glovebox light but also a cigarette lighter, body moldings are now a $100.00 option, no floor shift indicators, no std split folding rear seat, only one rear seat map pocket and no underhood light. The trunk can only be opened by the remote fob or release button on the dash becasue the key cylinder has been omitted along with the passenger lock. Some of this has caught on with other car manufacturers like Ford which has omitted door moldings from all it's car and truck lines except the Fusion/Milan Crown Vic/Grand marquis and Explorer Eddie Bauer models and none of there other cars has a glovebox light or lining. I know of at least 20 folks that I have chatted to about there vehicles that are extremely annoyed by this "decontenting" of product. They then go and look at a 18K Kia Optima or 22K Sorento and low and behold theres a govebox light and felt liner. A bodyside molding is std equipment on most of there cars. There is a keyhole in the trunk and a cigarette lighter and every car they make has a split folding rear seat and center armrest as standard. This alone has prompted many many consumers to buy foreign because they are getting more for there hard earned coin. What can GM and Ford possibly cut or decontent further out of there already lacking vehicles?
And at the same time we decontent a vehicle, I'm forced to accept both Onstar and XM Radio on most of the GM vehicles. I am a lifetime GM owner and probably always will be (with the exception of my Jeep Wrangler - well maybe that too will come under GM someday). But as they continue to strip content off a vehicle and add stuff I don't want, well it sort of irks me. I'm not saying that Onstar or XM are bad products, but why should I have to pay for the hardware in the vehicle, if I don't plan on using it. My 01 Tahoe has had Offstar on it now for 7 years. My 03 Silverado has had Offstar on it for 5 years. I'm not knocking the product, only the fact that I was forced to have it on my vehicle because it was standard equipment on the trim level I selected. Too bad we must pay for these things. There are lots of other goodies on vehicles today, many convenience items, that most of us lived well without just a few years ago.

·
Banned
1,188 Posts
I'm sorry you don't think that me working my butt off for the first 22 years of my life deserves something better. Many companies employing Engineers have as good or better benefits than GM or other automotive manufacturers.

A lot of Engineers have left the automotive field in recent years, just as UAW line workers. The difference is that Engineers can switch to a job with similar pay and benefits without a lot of issue. Show me some jobs in the entire world where someone with only a high school diploma and only specialized assembly training can make a UAW wage/benefits. You choose your path in life so don't be mad at someone else's choice.
I'm self employed!! Nobody ever gave me any benifits!! I pay for my Blue Cross!! Always did!! I worked my butt of from dawn till dusk since I was teenager. I never complained about not having benefits!! I can't stand to see people work for a big company and complain about benefits. This is a great country if your willing to roll up your sleeves and do some real work!! I've made plenty of money and I thank this country for the freedom to do so!! I salute the foreign engineers, doctors, and computer software technicians coming to this country who are willing to work for nothing just to get their foot in the door. I can't see how great of an employee you are if you have time during the day to write on this forum. Maybe you should get back to work.

·
Banned
1,188 Posts
Tuition reimbursement is a standard benefit. The idea is, Mr. GM Clerk works during the day, and goes to school at night, and eventually, earns a higher degree so GM can promote him and have an in-house person who knows how the company works. It evens out because HR doesn't need to waste their time looking for external hires, and entices more talented people to come to the company.

Or Mr. GM Assembly Line Dude with only a high school diploma can go to school at night, and when GM closes his plant, he's all set to get another job.

For reference, I haven't paid a cent for education in my life. Public high school, scholarship for undergrad, and my company paid for my MBA and is paying for my Ph.D. Education has always been a high priority in my life, and I know I certainly would not work for a company that didn't offer tuition reimbursement.
Very good point, but do you think GM should be paying for all this while the company is going out of business? How long do you think companies like GM are going to be able to afford all this? The main question is, if it's a such good idea, why are all these domestic auto companies that give these educational benefits failing? If they attracted better employees with good talent, why are they doing such a poor job of staying competitive? I'm just saying that your argument could make you look arrogant considering the current financial performance of GM.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
Very good point, but do you think GM should be paying for all this while the company is going out of business? How long do you think companies like GM are going to be able to afford all this? The main question is, if it's a such good idea, why are all these domestic auto companies that give these educational benefits failing? If they attracted better employees with good talent, why are they doing such a poor job of staying competitive? I'm just saying that your argument could make you look arrogant considering the current financial performance of GM.
Imagine how bad it would be WITHOUT talent in-house.

Never approach a business or political issue, and assume things are as bad as they could possibly be. Believe me... companies and the government can ALWAYS find a way to make a horrible problem 100 times worse.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.