GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More car buyers say: I shouldn't have a V-8By Chris Woodyard, USA TODAY

The quarterback of engines, the legendary V-8, is starting to have a hard time making the cut.

Most automakers introducing new V-8s are confining them to trailer-towing trucks and a few premium cars or high-performance sports models — and retreating from putting them under the hoods of family cars.

Even on the high end, Ford Motor isn't going to offer an eight-cylinder engine in its luxury flagship Lincoln MKS sedan. General Motors is dumping the V-8 option in the 2010 Cadillac SRX crossover arriving next year.

"Unfortunately, you look at a V-8 and say, 'Do I really need it?' " says auto consultant Rebecca Lindland of Global Insight. "You get a real nice feeling from a V-6, or even a turbocharged V-6."

The percentage of new vehicles being sold with V-8 engines has fallen from nearly 25% in 2006 to 17.3% most recently, Power Information Network reports. Even V-6 engines have lost popularity as more buyers opt for four-cylinder economy.

SOURCE / Full Article

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
The market shift is not suprising but I'm surprised smaller V8 engines never became popular.

I am not an engineer but I don't see how there is much difference in efficiency between a 4.0 liter V6 and 4.0 liter V8. Granted most V8's are larger displacement but couldn't a small V8 be built?

This seems similar to the FWD vs. RWD argument. GM is killing off RWD vehicles but I thought I read the difference in fuel efficiency is around 2-3 MPG.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Ford's choice to offer a turbocharged V-6 instead of a V-8 in the Lincoln MKS will be vindicated, as well as their strategy to aggressively roll out 6-speeds, DI, turbocharging and electric steering across the product lines.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Even V-6 engines have lost popularity as more buyers opt for four-cylinder economy.
I'd sure like to know which cars exactly they are talking about. Of all the cars I can think of that can be had with either a 4cyl, or a V6.......the 4 cyl is always the volume leader. Accord, Camry, Altima, I know for sure....but I'd bet Malibu and Fusion as well. Accord and Camry have always sold more I4's than V6's even before gas reaching $4.00 per gallon.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Does this article really surprise anyone? I hate how so many americans think only with their wallets.

"Hey, I make over $100,000 a year, gas is cheap, so Im going to buy a truck or SUV with a V-8 that I dont need, and then drive it back and forth to work everyday by myself.":confused:

5,934 Posts
One of the positives of V-8 engines is that they do not need to work hard. And with the 6-speed manual transmission your rpm's are around 1800 rpm at 70 mph. You have instantaneous power for passing, or when you need a quick boost of power. In a V-8 you are past the vehicle you are overtaking quickly (safer), in a 4 cylinder car it takes time to pass that same car (not as safe).

The mpg that GM is getting out of it's V-8's when coupled with a 6-speed transmission is near, or better than, many cars with 6-cylinder engines.

The big question is, can GM squeeze more mpg out of it's current V-8 engines with different powertrain combinations? Perhaps even different timing for different driving conditions?

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
The big question is, can GM squeeze more mpg out of it's current V-8 engines with different powertrain combinations? Perhaps even different timing for different driving conditions?
Doesn't seem to matter as much since the public hears V8 and assume it gets bad mileage. The public is ill informed on a load of products to which may never get out of that funk. Also with the economy in a slump a V8 option or larger engine seems to be less of "want to get" aspect of the cars. With that said, I don't think that way, I'll be getting a V8 Camaro next year!

·
Registered
195 Posts
One of the positives of V-8 engines is that they do not need to work hard. And with the 6-speed manual transmission your rpm's are around 1800 rpm at 70 mph. You have instantaneous power for passing, or when you need a quick boost of power. In a V-8 you are past the vehicle you are overtaking quickly (safer), in a 4 cylinder car it takes time to pass that same car (not as safe).

The mpg that GM is getting out of it's V-8's when coupled with a 6-speed transmission is near, or better than, many cars with 6-cylinder engines.

While I agree with what you are saying.....reality is, most V-8s on american roads DONT have 6 speeds, or even 5 speeds. The majority are 4 speeds:(

·
Registered
4,225 Posts

I agree, I had a 2002 Camaro Z28 that got almost 30 MPG on the highway. That's almost as good as some 4-cylinders.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Doesn't seem to matter as much since the public hears V8 and assume it gets bad mileage. The public is ill informed on a load of products to which may never get out of that funk. Also with the economy in a slump a V8 option or larger engine seems to be less of "want to get" aspect of the cars. With that said, I don't think that way, I'll be getting a V8 Camaro next year!
I'm really thinking about the V8 Camaro too. I'm going to wait until the second year though, let the buzz die down a bit.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I think with the addition of better breathing and some engine tuning you can get 30+ mpg our ot a V8. I have read on other boards about how people are tuning their G8GTs and getting more mpg and more horsepower than stock. One reported almost 30MPG on the highway. It can be done and GM should do it before V8s become a thing of the past.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I just can't wait till I turn 25, that way insurance won't be the burden. Gas can only affect so much :)
There's no huge drop in insurance when you turn 25. More companies will give you quotes on sports cars but you're not gonna go from $3000 per year at 24 to $1500 a year at 25. It's a myth.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I think with the addition of better breathing and some engine tuning you can get 30+ mpg our ot a V8. I have read on other boards about how people are tuning their G8GTs and getting more mpg and more horsepower than stock. One reported almost 30MPG on the highway. It can be done and GM should do it before V8s become a thing of the past.
GM needs to get the DI Gen V's out now. The have a sizeable MPG lead over the new Ram and they need to put the nail in the coffin of the other truck makers.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Does this article really surprise anyone? I hate how so many americans think only with their wallets.

"Hey, I make over $100,000 a year, gas is cheap, so Im going to buy a truck or SUV with a V-8 that I dont need, and then drive it back and forth to work everyday by myself.":confused:

Do you own anything "you don't need"? Have you ever bought something "you don't need"?

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
There's no huge drop in insurance when you turn 25. More companies will give you quotes on sports cars but you're not gonna go from $3000 per year at 24 to $1500 a year at 25. It's a myth.
Maybe so, but I am 22. Thats 3 years to which it has the chance to drop dramatically. But I was given a reasonable quote on a comparable Mustang GT, to which I was told at 25-26 it will drop significantly again (as it happened when I turned 19).

Then again hopefully the Camaro isn't put as a sports car for insurance again and simply as a performance car. Seems to have a huge difference.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
We had a baby 1987 Cadillac Eldorado that got 33 on the highway, and it was a V-8 using regular gas.
Yep, my dad had an '86 Seville with the TBI 4100, and while it may have gotten good fuel economy, let me remind everyone that it also cranked out a whopping 130 horsepower, a figure most current four-cylinders easily surpass.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts