GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM's Performance Division was busy this week and we caught yet another future V-Series Cadillac. This time we photographed the 400-horsepower XLR-V, powered by a supercharged 4.6-liter Northstar V-8.

Besides the supercharged engine and other performance-related features, the V-Series XLR also sports a unique hood, ten-spoke wheels, and high-performance tires.

The XLR V-Series is expected for the 2006 model year, or possibly as an early 2007-model offering.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=7135

·
Registered
44,279 Posts
Originally posted by Ballistic@May 17 2004, 03:36 PM
Only 400hp out of a s-charged 4.6? Disappointing. I'd like to see 450-500hp in that thing.
VERY VERY disappointing.
Sorry Cadillac... if that's all that engine will produce, the SL55 AMG has 93 HP on you. :huh:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rear view

General Motors Performance Division engineers were caught testing an STS V-Series engineering mule in Germany this week. The STS V-Series will be officially introduced next January at the NAIAS, and is expected to go on sale later next year. Power will come from a supercharged Northstar V-8.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by chicubs@May 17 2004, 08:57 PM
Im pretty sure it is a type-o. The first article said 500hp, didnt it?
either way i think its speculation, nobody really knows the power numbers, not this early.

·
Registered
8,862 Posts
Originally posted by mgescuro+May 17 2004, 08:46 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mgescuro @ May 17 2004, 08:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Ballistic@May 17 2004, 03:36 PM
Only 400hp out of a s-charged 4.6?  Disappointing.  I'd like to see 450-500hp in that thing.
VERY VERY disappointing.
Sorry Cadillac... if that's all that engine will produce, the SL55 AMG has 93 HP on you. :huh: [/b][/quote]
As usual, mgescuro, your point is well taken.

I got to thinking about this for a second... As we all know, performance is more than just horsepower, so while 450-500 hp would make for great advertising, maybe the XLR-V won't need it. The last iteration of the SC Northstar in the Imaj generated 425-hp. That would trim the XLR-V's 93-hp deficit to the SL55 to 68-hp. The XLR presently weighs in at 3,547 pounds; presumably this won't change much with the XLR-V, which would mean that the XLR-V's SC V-8 has to push 8.4 pounds for every horsepower it generates.

Contrast that to the SL55, which weighs in at a portly 4,319 pounds. That translates to the AMG V-8 pushing 8.8 pounds per horsepower. That difference would at least put the XLR-V on equal footing with the AMG in that respect. That said, if the MB beats the Caddy, the margin of victory will be minute. And MB will need a $30,000 premium to achieve those hair-splitting results. Will this comfort the German engineers?

I'm not an engineer, so I feel a uncomfortable presenting my analysis. Perhaps the engineering-inclined among us can steer me correctly on this topic.

In the end, I'm just pleased as punch about the proliferation of the V-series!

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
These are great looking pics.
The V series are great cars.
It is great to see GM showing the world what it is capable of.
It is nice to see GM using the Northstar in addition to the LS6.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Originally posted by tgagneguam+May 17 2004, 04:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tgagneguam @ May 17 2004, 04:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 17 2004, 08:46 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Ballistic
@May 17 2004, 03:36 PM
Only 400hp out of a s-charged 4.6?  Disappointing.  I'd like to see 450-500hp in that thing.

VERY VERY disappointing.
Sorry Cadillac... if that's all that engine will produce, the SL55 AMG has 93 HP on you. :huh:
As usual, mgescuro, your point is well taken.

I got to thinking about this for a second... As we all know, performance is more than just horsepower, so while 450-500 hp would make for great advertising, maybe the XLR-V won't need it. The last iteration of the SC Northstar in the Imaj generated 425-hp. That would trim the XLR-V's 93-hp deficit to the SL55 to 68-hp. The XLR presently weighs in at 3,547 pounds; presumably this won't change much with the XLR-V, which would mean that the XLR-V's SC V-8 has to push 8.4 pounds for every horsepower it generates.

Contrast that to the SL55, which weighs in at a portly 4,319 pounds. That translates to the AMG V-8 pushing 8.8 pounds per horsepower. That difference would at least put the XLR-V on equal footing with the AMG in that respect. That said, if the MB beats the Caddy, the margin of victory will be minute. And MB will need a $30,000 premium to achieve those hair-splitting results. Will this comfort the German engineers?

I'm not an engineer, so I feel a uncomfortable presenting my analysis. Perhaps the engineering-inclined among us can steer me correctly on this topic.

In the end, I'm just pleased as punch about the proliferation of the V-series! [/b][/quote]
i like tgagneguam point. horse power isnt the answer all the time.

the next best thing to adding horse power is reducing weight. since the caddy is already lighter than the MB there is no real need to have 500 hp, but the 425 hp sounds really nice. im guessing the enngineers are going to try and diet the caddy to acheive even better accel numbers and such.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Originally posted by tgagneguam+May 17 2004, 04:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tgagneguam @ May 17 2004, 04:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-mgescuro@May 17 2004, 08:46 PM

I got to thinking about this for a second... As we all know, performance is more than just horsepower, so while 450-500 hp would make for great advertising, maybe the XLR-V won't need it.  The last iteration of the SC Northstar in the Imaj generated 425-hp.
[/b][/quote]
The whole Northstar program has been somewhat disappointing in my view. The new LH2 finally gets to 320HP; a number Ford has been producing in their 4 cam 4.6s for the past few years. I will admit that this could all be due to tuning (Cobra tune vs. luxury tune) but, the XLR is a performance vehicle. The Northstar should be a great spinner with a very short stroke(bore x stroke/ 3.66 x 3.31 / 93 x 84) and VVT but, it tops out at 6700rpm; equivalent to the 3.6in stroke of the LS6. The M3's engine spins to 8k with a 3.58in stroke. So what gives?

·
Registered
44,279 Posts
Originally posted by TaHoE@May 17 2004, 06:23 PM
STS-V will have a supercharged 4.6 with 430HP, I am assuming it will be the same for the XLR-V.
I can be happy with 430HP.
I know "performance is more than HP," but when it boils down to it... HP is what most people care about. Besides... having only 80 more HP than the standard STS while the CTS-V has 145 more HP than the CTS?? Come on.

Personally... I'd be happiest at around 450HP.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it really begs the question of what is in that CTS-V Plus. i mean, if the STS and XLR will only have 430ish HP, what is under the CTS Plus? more? less? i guess it doesnt nessarily mean that the STS-V HAS to have more HP. but with the AWD it would be a good place to put a 500hp halo engine in, even if the XLR only had 450 hp...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Some of the engine speeds are not limited by the mechanics of the engine, but by the processing capacity of the engine control computers and what can/is certified to the federal government.

A new V8 is built to spin 8500, but limited to 6500 (allows for over-speed), because the processor is at 98% of capacity at 6500 rpm, for instance - once the next generation processor comes onboard, the engine speeds can come up.

CTS-V Plus likely has the C6 version of the ZO6 mill under the hood. (LS7?)

·
Registered
449 Posts
:ph34r:

Cadillac cars with 500 hp engines may entice enthusiasts, but as gas prices soar to over $2.00 gallon, affordability (not just being able to buy the car but operate and maintain the vehicle) becomes a serious issue.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Originally posted by footney@May 17 2004, 07:08 PM
:ph34r:

Cadillac cars with 500 hp engines may entice enthusiasts, but as gas prices soar to over $2.00 gallon, affordability (not just being able to buy the car but operate and maintain the vehicle) becomes a serious issue.
If you can afford to own a V-Series Cadillac, gas prices aren't an issue.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Yes HP does make great advertising and such, in fact I'd love to see more just as much as everyone else. But like it was said earlier, you have to factor in weight as well. I think thus far nobody knows for sure how much HP the STS-V or the XLR-V will have. I'm rooting for the V-10!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts