GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Mazda3. The stock tire pressure is 32 PSI all around. The weight is 63/37 front/rear. Would it help my fuel economy to increase the pressure of the front tires by 2PSI to 34 PSI? Opinions on safety, durabilty of tires and the general idea would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I personally never go below 35 psi. I usually have it around 36, never had any durability or safety problems.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
I have Mazda3s and never go below 35 psi - usually actually go close to 40psi - especially when I have a lot of highway travel planned.

Many people I know believe in inflating tires close to their max-psi rating (which on the RSA's is about 50psi), but I have never dared to do that.

Also note that your ride does get a little bumpier when you put in more air than specified - but that never bothered me.

Igor

·
Premium Member
35,875 Posts
More air in the front tires?

On the surface, it would seem to make sense.
It seems to follow the logic that Pontiac used when they set up the suspension/wheel/tire package on the V8 Grand Prix a year or two back. Larger tires up front, since that's where the weight is. Not to mention power.

You've gotten answers regarding tire pressure, and almost everybody has an opinion about that.

I believe Car and Driver has done some testing on the concept that more pressure in front would have some positive benefits for a FWD car. Don't recall exactly what their findings were, or if this is a phantom memory.

Try this:

http://www.wtrscca.org/tech.htm

So my question is, why not use a +1 tire on the front of your FWD vehicle?

·
Premium Member
8,004 Posts
I run mine at 32-34psi.
Real nice ride that way.

My Coopers are suppose to be designed to go from 30psi up to 45psi.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
i run at 50 psi, but the again, max for me 65. for my truck, recommended pressure on stock tires is 35, but thats half the pressure of my new ones (which are also larger). i think the rating on your vehicle is more of a guideline than anything. the car is designed with that pressure in mind, but you can change it as long as youre willing to deal with the changed driving characteristics. correct me if im wrong.

that is an interesting question though, i never though of that. i dont think increasing the pressure to that will ruin youre tires or anything, too high and they wont wear correctly though (same thing if theyre too low).

by increasing the pressure, you lessen the contact patch, but the increased weight in the front might even that out. in a truck like mine its a noticable difference. you can see the difference in the front and rear sidewalls. i wonder what the weight distribution in my truck is.

try it, see what happens. although i dont think you will see much difference with just a 2 psi increase, id go with 5 psi at least.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Reattas have such a front weight bias that with my 17''s I run the fronts at close to max pressure, like 42 psi, and the rears around 28

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
What do the tires say? I try and stay around 35-40. If they're wearing funny I would play around. I don't think there is any good reason to run less in the back.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Wow, judging by some of y'alls air pressures your cars must be rattling themselves to death!!!

I keep my truck's pressure at 32 psi.

·
Premium Member
8,004 Posts
I'd stick with your car's recommended pressures...
True...
My Buick is at 30psi I think. That is just a tad low for me.

EDIT: I figured why not and went outside and just checked mine.
Since it has gotten warmer then they go up.
I was at 35-36psi in all four.
So I lowered them.
Never hurts to keep a good reliable gauge with you....

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
The higher pressure makes sence, but remember that the manufactor recommmends a certain pressure for more reasons than just ride comfort. Safety, handling, traction, wear, etc.... All come into play.

But please don't run them lower.......

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have Mazda3s and never go below 35 psi - usually actually go close to 40psi - especially when I have a lot of highway travel planned.

Many people I know believe in inflating tires close to their max-psi rating (which on the RSA's is about 50psi), but I have never dared to do that.

Also note that your ride does get a little bumpier when you put in more air than specified - but that never bothered me.

Igor
I actually have the Toyo's. I here tons of complaints about the RSA's

1 - 15 of 15 Posts