·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monza to set tone for next Buick Regal
Mike Colias
Automotive News
October 4, 2014

PARIS — The next-generation Opel Insignia — which will be rebadged as the next Buick Regal sedan for the U.S. market — will be more premium and take styling cues from the lithe Monza concept car that Opel revealed in 2013.

“You will see the Monza when you see the next Insignia,” Opel CEO Karl-Thomas Neumann said on the sidelines of the auto show here this week.

Opel showed the Monza at the Frankfurt auto show in September 2013. The four-seat coupe, which resurrects an Opel name from the 1970s and ’80s, has a flowing, greyhound-like shape, fastback silhouette and prominent rear-wheel arches.

CONTINUE AT AUTONEWS.COM

Image courtesy of Automotive News

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
So the headlights and rear treatment will be the same. Everything else... not so much.

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is good or bad depending on how the Monza tickles your fancy.

However, as Buick's future global styling caters more and more to Chinese tastes, I wonder if the Opel and Buick's future designs will eventually split from each other.

That's to say that, they'd continue to share products, but that each will style their cars with greater differentiation according to each brand's "design values".

Considering how Opel/Vauxhall is now seeking to reassert it's independence as it takes a stronger role in Europe, I can't help but think that each brand could potentially be "limited" if their respective design languages evolve in different directions. I wonder how GM will address this moving forward; or even if they will.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
This is good or bad depending on how the Monza tickles your fancy.

However, as Buick's future global styling caters more and more to Chinese tastes, I wonder if the Opel and Buick's future designs will eventually split from each other.

That's to say that, they'd continue to share products, but that each will style their cars with greater differentiation according to each brand's "design values".

Considering how Opel/Vauxhall is now seeking to reassert it's independence as it takes a stronger role in Europe, I can't help but think that each brand could potentially be "limited" if their respective design languages evolve in different directions. I wonder how GM will address this moving forward; or even if they will.
It's not that difficult for good engineers to take a car's platform and all it's hard points and create both an exterior skin and interior trim style to suit specific markets - in the context of Epsilon sized cars there's significant differences between customers' requirements in Europe, China and North America so it seems to me that three unique models would be appropriate - that would give the economy of scale of mass use of platform and systems without compromising local style.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
It's not that difficult for good engineers to take a car's platform and all it's hard points and create both an exterior skin and interior trim style to suit specific markets - in the context of Epsilon sized cars there's significant differences between customers' requirements in Europe, China and North America so it seems to me that three unique models would be appropriate - that would give the economy of scale of mass use of platform and systems without compromising local style.
.....or we will just get Chinese cars because the number of cars GM builds for China becomes several times the number built for North America (no, I didn't say the Chinese market will necessarily be that much larger than the North American, just that we will be driving Chinese cars over here due in part to the larger market, in part due to GM's success there).

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
.....or we will just get Chinese cars because the number of cars GM builds for China becomes several times the number built for North America (no, I didn't say the Chinese market will necessarily be that much larger than the North American, just that we will be driving Chinese cars over here due in part to the larger market, in part due to GM's success there).
Especially when it comes to Buicks.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,474 Posts
So the headlights and rear treatment will be the same. Everything else... not so much.
Hmm, Buick you have my attention. Still waiting on that "more beautiful Panamera" though Mr. Reuss.
After going to the link I have to agree on both statements. It's a show car, what are we thinking if we believe it will be anything like this. We will probably see shape and a few design/styling cues and that's about it. As for the "more beautiful Panamera" statement, the overall shape does the trick for me.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
I also thought part of Buick's "legitimacy" in CHINA is from BEING in America so I would imagine even if they are different they will LOOK the same

BUT China has shown a liking for EUROPEAN cars so I wonder HOW different styling Buick will NEED to be from Opel

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
One thing that I noticed based on the proportions of the vehicle that it looks front engine RWD (maybe a alpha stable mate for Opel/buick). Searching the internet I did quickly find a reference to the Opel Monza concept being rear wheel drive. Maybe the next generation ELR will be based on the alpha platform as well, maybe a bit bigger more CTS size.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
More masturbatory clickbait. GM will promise you Claudia Schiffer, and deliver Angela Merkel

Remember the LS1-engined, RWD Insignia Concept off Zeta in c 2003? You got the Epsilon II Regal/Insignia cooking-variety FWD boat instead. Nice car - nothing really to distinguish it from a plethora of similar, stodgy front-drivers, Hyper struts, turbo mill or not.

All that unfulfilled potential. I can see VE/VF, Coupe60 all sort of interesting cars in the side profile that could have turned a dollar combined with AFM, DI V6s and V8s. And it rode on a 114.8" wheelbase - now why does that sound familiar? GM ignites visions, then stamps them out quickly before anyone gets enthused, and hopes no-one notices.

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
I hope we see more sporty Opel styling in Buick but I'm not sure that will happen. I'm a bit concerned with Buick's design progression after seeing the Envision. Not that I think it's bad per say but far from progressive. It looks like it was designed to fit with Buick's current lineup, not the next generation of products.

However, maybe Buick wasn't going to take the opportunity to introduce the progression of their design language on it. That could happen with the NG LaCrosse. I won't freak out until I see the LaCrosse.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Funny, I was just wondering about the next Insignia earlier today.

When is it supposed to arrive at showrooms?

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
More masturbatory clickbait. GM will promise you Claudia Schiffer, and deliver Angela Merkel

Remember the LS1-engined, RWD Insignia Concept off Zeta in c 2003? You got the Epsilon II Regal/Insignia cooking-variety FWD boat instead. Nice car - nothing really to distinguish it from a plethora of similar, stodgy front-drivers, Hyper struts, turbo mill or not.

All that unfulfilled potential. I can see VE/VF, Coupe60 all sort of interesting cars in the side profile that could have turned a dollar combined with AFM, DI V6s and V8s. And it rode on a 114.8" wheelbase - now why does that sound familiar? GM ignites visions, then stamps them out quickly before anyone gets enthused, and hopes no-one notices.
Hahaha! I was going to post something similar - expressing the idea of concept cars always having the same clamshell doors and/or fastback or 'shooting brake' roofline and/or 'four bucket seats' and also - weird/flush/nonexistent door handles. These tricks are all literally fifty years old. goes back at least to 1965 Dodge Charger III concept.

·
Registered
120 Posts
China is not that different from the rest of the global car market. They require a good mix of body styles and power train choices. When it comes to the word global, in car marketing, that term means everywhere except the USA. In the USA, it is customary to limit choice.Sedan, CUV, or truck are the main choices. North Americans do want choices, but it is more about which reality TV shows we want to watch, get it.
I do think the Monza looks great and I hope it translates well to the Regal.[/I]

·
Registered
505 Posts
That's great and all, but bring over more body styles and flesh out the Buick line up!! If one body style of a particular car is federalized to come to America, how hard is it to get the others? There's no reason why the Insignia wagon shouldn't have at least been tried for a model year or two, or some of the various Astra styles, it would have allowed GM to target a wider range of the market with Buick and go after sales from Hyundai, Subaru, Mazda, and Volvo, yet they are limiting it with 3 sedans and 2 CUV's. It could be a power house and even provide testing ground for fleshing out Chevy counterparts (like the success of the Encore finally bringing the Trax to the US) a Verano 5-door could have led to a Cruze wagon, etc.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,474 Posts
That's great and all, but bring over more body styles and flesh out the Buick line up!! If one body style of a particular car is federalized to come to America, how hard is it to get the others? There's no reason why the Insignia wagon shouldn't have at least been tried for a model year or two, or some of the various Astra styles, it would have allowed GM to target a wider range of the market with Buick and go after sales from Hyundai, Subaru, Mazda, and Volvo, yet they are limiting it with 3 sedans and 2 CUV's. It could be a power house and even provide testing ground for fleshing out Chevy counterparts (like the success of the Encore finally bringing the Trax to the US) a Verano 5-door could have led to a Cruze wagon, etc.
I think they should have tried the Insignia wagon and 5 door Verano too. If GM can do an SSR or other such things they sure as Hell could do these others.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts