GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
45,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Money approved for states to build car-charging network

The Biden administration said Wednesday it has approved ambitious plans by 34 states and Puerto Rico to create a national electric vehicle charging network as the U.S. begins in earnest its transition away from gas-powered transportation.

The plans’ approval means $900 million can begin to flow to the states, which are tasked with using money from President Joe Biden’s huge infrastructure law to form the network of chargers across the nation. Building out a reliable and convenient network is critical to spur more adoption of the technology, which is itself key to reducing greenhouse emissions that cause global warming.

The announcement came on the same day that Biden toured the North American International Auto Show in Detroit to tout the new law that includes tax incentives to purchase electric vehicles.

In practical terms, it means residents in some of those states could see charging stations start popping up along major travel corridors as early as next spring. Biden has a goal of ultimately installing 500,000 chargers across America and building a network of fast-charging stations across 53,000 miles of freeways from coast to coast.

More at Link

·
Premium Member
37,209 Posts
Your tax dollars, plus Imaginary Money, at work. For the Children.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Well, tax dollars are supposed to be spent on infrastructure improvements and defense, so it makes sense that the government helps if they're going to force us to quickly transition over to EVs. I'd rather something useful like this instead of paying people to stay home and not work.

·
Premium Member
37,209 Posts
I'd like them to build a gas station a couple of blocks away from me. That's infrastructure too, isn't it?

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: 1958carnut

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Now that the Goberment is paying, the price just quadrupled per station. SOP when the government is paying. I say give Elon the money, and I’ll bet he will get more chargers out there for less. He won’t waste it like the government bureaucracy will.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 2014 Cadillac Saks 5th Ave ELR, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
12,033 Posts
That's nice.
Is someone gonna maintain 'em after they're out of the headlines?
Or are they gonna be left to fall apart like everything else?
I'm glad I don't have to count on these things actually working.

·
Premium Member
37,209 Posts
Old man yells at the clouds lol.
Young kid shows off his ignorance. LOL.

That's nice.
Is someone gonna maintain the 'em after they're out of the headlines?
Don't worry. Those will be maintained like, oh, Michigan's roads! Yes we can!

·
Registered
733 Posts
I love that people complain that Rural America will be left behind yet it is the very same States that do not want to place these Chargers every 50 Miles as stated by the set rules. I would like to say that I am shocked but obviously that would be a complete lie. If I lived in any of those States I would be livid at my representatives.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
It's not the government building the network. What's happening is that money is being made available to the private sector to incentivize the building of the charging network.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
That's nice.
Is someone gonna maintain 'em after they're out of the headlines?
Every single government project like this needs to have a funding mechanism to assure maintenance and repairs are made in a timely manner over the lifetime of the product created. They also need to be funded to prevent obsolescence. Is this being done? Is it part of the package? (Sorry, I didn't read it.)

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Every single government project like this needs to have a funding mechanism to assure maintenance and repairs are made in a timely manner over the lifetime of the product created. They also need to be funded to prevent obsolescence. Is this being done? Is it part of the package? (Sorry, I didn't read it.)
So you believe that the chargers will provide free electricity to the EV drivers who use them? I have an alternative view. The Government is providing funds to private companies that will build and maintain these chargers. These companies will sell the electricity to the drivers and will use part of the generated revenue for maintenance and improvement.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
4,866 Posts
Funding mechanism? Definitely.
Assurance that maintenance and repairs are made in a timely manner? Nope.

·
Premium Member
37,209 Posts
Funding? Hmmmm. HEY! How about you slip a credit card in before the pump dispenses fuel. Juice, I mean, juice.

Watch this space for more wild and craaaazzzzeeee ideas.

·
Super Moderator
21,761 Posts
It's not the government building the network. What's happening is that money is being made available to the private sector to incentivize the building of the charging network.
I'm on board with this particular government spending. The infrastructure has got to be put in place, in a large way, to make the people comfortable with buying a BEV. But the private sector wants proof of demand right around the corner to justify spending the money today. Without the funding the private sector will wait until there is enough demand which will ensure there is NEVER enough demand. Both parties wants the other to act first, ultimately leaving us with neither acting.

1 - 20 of 170 Posts