GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
16,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Modus Biometric Trademark Hints At Cadillac Facial Recognition Feature
http://cadillacsociety.com/2020/11/07/modus-biometric-trademark-hints-at-cadillac-facial-recognition-feature/

November 7, 2020
Gabriel Ionica

Cadillac’s parent company, General Motors, has filed to trademark the name “Modus Biometric System” with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), Cadillac Society has learned.

Filed on August 31st, 2020 and assigned serial number 90148333, the filing was made under the Goods and Services category of “Adaptive electronic vehicle comfort systems sold as an integral part of a motor land vehicle.”

Continues at link

·
Registered
16,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Be nice to have facial recognition to get in. I never realized how much I like the facial recognition on my iPhone until I got a Samsung as a work phone (so I have two phones). I feel like I'm using a rotary dial phone when I have to enter a code to get into my Samsung.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD
11,465 Posts
By the looks of the ad you will be able to set it up for multiple users of the vehicle which it should have. I liked the ad. This looks to be a good thing.

·
Super Moderator
20,873 Posts
Be nice to have facial recognition to get in. I never realized how much I like the facial recognition on my iPhone until I got a Samsung as a work phone (so I have two phones). I feel like I'm using a rotary dial phone when I have to enter a code to get into my Samsung.
My Galaxy S8 has facial recognition...

·
Registered
9,283 Posts
at work we have a facial recognition system for the time clock and it has worked flawlessly BUT today NO GO it did NOT "like" my face one bit
also wonder if the caddy system will require the key OR not if it does IMHO it is sorta pointless as keyless touch N go is a thing and without the key what about it NOT recognising you due to injury / dirt / to much "6 o clock shadow"
BUT atleast GM/CADDY is TRYING TO stay ahead

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Wonder if it'll work with a mask on. My iPhone makes me enter my six-digit code. Annoying.

·
Registered
16,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My Galaxy S8 has facial recognition...
I think my work phone is an S7... So do you like the facial recognition? Awful when I have to wear a mask to go out and the facial recognition doesn't work. My point being, it's nice and probably be just as nice with a car!

·
Registered
16,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
at work we have a facial recognition system for the time clock and it has worked flawlessly BUT today NO GO it did NOT "like" my face one bit
also wonder if the caddy system will require the key OR not if it does IMHO it is sorta pointless as keyless touch N go is a thing and without the key what about it NOT recognising you due to injury / dirt / to much "6 o clock shadow"
So which one is it for you? Roll into work after an all night bender with droopy eyes, way past 5:00 shadow and some nacho's stuck to your face? Facial recognition said this ain't richmond2000 :p: :p: :p:

Just kidding. I'd imagine it is pretty robust as they said it can work in bad weather. Though to your point I'm sure there will be times it won't work, I assume there will still be keys. Plus it did say there will be finger print and passcodes as a backup. Sounds like they covered all the bases. Be nice if you have a family - all the kids can get into the car via facial recognition, but you don't have to give them the keys (and give them the opportunity to lose the keys).

·
Premium Member
35,454 Posts
Well, my Fusion cannot do that
Yeah, I have to struggle with punching the UNLOCK button on my key. THEN I have to actually open the door. THEN I have to insert the key and actually turn it to start the car. Oh the humanity!.

One more gizmo to eventually short-circuit and create yooj headaches. But if you like it, more power to you. Just don't be surprised when Skynet self-activates. :fall:

Reactions: mbukukanyau

·
Registered
16,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I have to struggle with punching the UNLOCK button on my key. THEN I have to actually open the door. THEN I have to insert the key and actually turn it to start the car. Oh the humanity!.

One more gizmo to eventually short-circuit and create yooj headaches. But if you like it, more power to you. Just don't be surprised when Skynet self-activates. :fall:
We can start forming The Resistance now and be ready when Skynet becomes self aware!

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
wonder if the caddy system will require the key OR not if it does IMHO it is sorta pointless as keyless touch N go is a thing and without the key what about it NOT recognising you due to injury / dirt / to much "6 o clock shadow"
Facial recognition instead of detecting the key would be a convenience. Requiring facial recognition along with the key could be a security feature (can't steal your car even if someone steals your key). If marketed correctly, it could work either way. Facial recognition could also do more than detecting the key. For example, you could wink at the car to unlock all doors instead of just the driver's door (okay, perhaps not the best example, but you get the idea).

But, yes, they key (no pun intended) thing is that Cadillac is innovating in areas that will be perceived as cutting-edge by the buying public. Platforms that handle well and 99-speed transmissions etc. are good but more people are drawn to features they can see and show off, especially in the premium CUV segment (where the car is essentially bought to show off). So, this is definitely good stuff.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
What happens when (if) you go on a business trip for one week and during that time, your car is waiting for you to "show your face". How long can that last without battery going kaput?

·
Premium Member
32,744 Posts
We can start forming The Resistance now and be ready when Skynet becomes self aware!
Just attempted to watch the version of affirmative action terminator. You know, ‘people of color and women’ with border crossing.. so lame.. unbelievable, could get past 10 minutes of affirmative action.. a Rambo wrinkled grandma... no thank you.

·
Registered
16,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just attempted to watch the version of affirmative action terminator. You know, ‘people of color and women’ with border crossing.. so lame.. unbelievable, could get past 10 minutes of affirmative action.. a Rambo wrinkled grandma... no thank you.
Oh, the new Terminator movie. Yes, it was painful to watch. I was fine with the concept of making her the focal point of the movie to tell her characters story - it was just an awful, cheesy movie.

·
Premium Member
32,744 Posts
Oh, the new Terminator movie. Yes, it was painful to watch. I was fine with the concept of making her the focal point of the movie to tell her characters story - it was just an awful, cheesy movie.
She is basically a fool for taking on her Rambo role.

·
Registered
16,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
She is basically a fool for taking on her Rambo role.
I'd have gone for it if I were her. As far as I know she hasn't been a lead in movies for years, I suspect this was her swan song - I'd say she'd be nuts to turn it down. The one I'd question is the person or company that put up the money for this.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts