GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago I asked folks here whether I should mod the GP or buy something new. Now I'm fortunate enough to be in a situation where I have a company car. Nevertheless, I still have the urge to tear something apart and rebuild it, and I'm trying to figure out what it should be. The obvious answer is my Grand Prix. But there's also the a little voice in my head telling me this is my chance to buy a classic car. I'm not talking a Concours car, mind you, but rather some ratty mid-seventies Firebird or an even rattier late 60s LeMans (the latter is likely beyond my budget).

The Grand Prix has a lot of things going for it. Namely, it runs well, which is more than I will likely be able to say for any of the older cars in my price range. The few problems it has are well known to me. I'm already comfortable working on the car as I've spent many a weekend laying under it. There's also a good deal of potential - Grand Prix GTPs can be made into very quick cars. Finally, there's a certain "Run what you brung" appeal to hot rodding the car I've driven since high school.

But there are also a few concerns. The fact that the GP runs means I will feel pretty bad if I F' something up. I also worry that I could spend a year and a few grand on the Grand Prix and still not have a ride that I really want to drive. There's also the financial aspect: any money I dump in the GP will be gone.

In contrast, an old Poncho would have more appeal out of the box than the GP ever would, and will hold its value. It also might be more forgiving to work on thanks to its lack of electronic nannies. But of course, any such car would bring 30 years of largely unknown history. While as I said, I don't need some restored masterpiece (primer and Bondo will be just fine) I do want something that can be made to run reasonably well.

I know lots of folks around here have projects, so what do you think? Am I better off modding my first car or should I mercilessly swap it for some certifiably meaner Detroit metal?

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
I'd go with the GP.

You may be a person with unlimited patience. I'm not. But that's what it takes to do a good job on a 40 year old car.

That, and an unlimited budget.

Just when you get the project going your way, then you find the one part you need isn't available, and it costs a fortune to fabricate.

Most people give up somewhere in the middle of the project. That's the time to set in and buy them out. You can usually get it for 50 cents on the dollar or less.

Best of luck to you, either way.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
I'd go with the GP as mentioned it takes alot of patience (and a big wallet) to sucessfully mod a 40 year old car. Also the mods for a 3.8 supercharged engine are actually pretty easy to do and many of the parts are not that expensive

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After 60 years in the car biz, the first question I ask myself::::: what am I going to do with it when It,s finished?
LOL, that is an excellent question. With the GP my ultimate goal would be to Autocross it. I'd add F-body brakes, adjustable struts with lower springs, and stiffer swaybars. Then I'd go to the engine - CAI, ported manifolds, downpipe, smaller pulley, and (eventually) camshaft.

With the classic car, I'd more focus on just getting it running well, and then simply cruise around and enjoy how awesome I look and sound.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Look to the left...my opinion has been stated.

·
Registered
9,097 Posts
Get a car with RWD
x100 If you have a company car already then you have a nice daily driver. If you want a project car look for something RWD and as close to finished as possible to save you money in the long run. I like the GTP's and have had more than one, but no matter how fast you make them they aren't nearly as fun to drive as a decently powerful RWD car.

A GTO or Chevelle sure sounds a lot more fun as a project to me. http://www.autotraderclassics.com/details?adId=90428840

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Convert the GTP to RWD...problem solved

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
What is your budget? You may want to consider a late-model Firebird which has been taken care of. There will be endless affordable support for it as well.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Great idea! Put the L67 in the Firebird!

·
Registered
10 Posts
check out intense racing.com,they are 3800 pros. and depending how far you want to go with the gtp,a record was set with a front wheeler bonnaville 8.8 seconds at i think 157 mph they have the vidios on there web site, a few mods and you could have a nice 11 sec. daily driver, my gt is at 13.88 right now

1 - 14 of 14 Posts