1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mitsubishi Fuso reports 3 fatal accidents June 14-21
Kyodo News
Thursday, June 24, 2004 at 06:00 JST

TOKYO, JAPAN — Mitsubishi Fuso Truck & Bus Corp, humbled by multiple vehicle defect coverup incidents, said Wednesday there were six accidents between June 14 and June 21 involving vehicles built by the company and that drivers were killed in three of them.

A burnt Mitsubishi truck is parked in Matsuyama, western Japan Friday, June 18, 2004. The truck caught fire while its driver Noboru Yokohama was driving down a road. Yokohama said he smelled the clutch burning, and its engine started clatter before a fire broke out. Mitsubishi Fuso Truck and Bus Corp. has recalled the same type of trucks at the end of March and the truck had gone through a repair in May. Yohama was not injured. The cause of fire is still under investigation. (AP Photo/Kyodo News)

Article Here

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
i'm not 100% sure of this, but i'm not so sure that Mitsu will be able to come back from this. Fuso is pretty big business for them, not to mention all the non commercial vehicle problems (cars and light trucks). wow. i can't believe that in this day and age a carmaker could keep this type of thing under its hat for so long, especially when the problems are life threatening.

·
Registered
8,855 Posts
Mitsubishi and its affiliates have a better chance of coming back in Japan (or any other country outside the USA, for that matter) because it's not primarily in the USA. Our litigious society would torpedo this company in a heartbeat with lawsuits stemming from these types of accidents. I figure these six deaths would be worth a least $250 million a piece!

Incidentally, there are lots of things companies (and governments) continue to hide from the public - always has been, always will be.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Mitsubishi's credit ratings are being downgraded with negative outlooks, no cash from DCX and some top execs are apparently looking outside the company. There were protestors at the NAIAS this past January wearing T-shirts in the Mitsu area and their area was nearly showgoerless. I haven't seen a Mitsubishi add on TV for a while either.

With business at home sufferring as well, I think they're in trouble too. I think they were #4 in Japan to start, and Fuso was part of their bread and butter. They've gotta be barely hangin' on. :pain:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts