GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all of the gloom and doom over the past few weeks, it may pay to look at the situation Mini Cooper currently finds itself in.

Producing 5,600 vehicles per week with a seven day, three shift around the clock operation is still not enough for their customer base. Mini dealers basically have no ground stock.

Source: AutoNews Email

Richard Truett - Automotive News - July 22, 2008 - 1:35 pm ET

DETROIT -- Sales of the red-hot Mini Cooper will fade this summer, no matter how high fuel prices rise.

Jim McDowell, vice president of BMW's Mini division, told reporters here today that the nation's 82 dealers are out of cars and will be selling mostly preordered units for the rest of the year because demand has outstripped supply.

"For the last three months, we were selling from inventory. There's no way [July] can be as good," McDowell said. He said dealers have a one-day supply of cars and that 81 percent of the cars delivered this month have been those that consumers have configured and ordered.

In June, Mini sold 5,211 units, up 24.8 percent from the same month last year. That followed sales increases of 52.8 percent in May and 39.4 percent in April.

The Mini plant in Oxford, England, is running three shifts, seven days a week and builds about 800 cars a day for 80 markets.

·
Premium Member
8,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There is an important lesson here: Americans will buy premium priced small cars.

Let GM price the Cruze as they feel it should be priced. While the Cruze is a long way from the Mini, if the vehicle is appealing at the given price-point, it will sell. Let's hope GM can deliver this "Mini-Malibu" sooner than MY11.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
I expect this to continue until Fiat can get the 500 here... then the Mini will have its milkshake drank.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
But.... but.... but.... Bob said Americans don't buy small cars? Let alone small cars that cost more than significantly 20k.

·
Registered
353 Posts
There is an important lesson here: Americans will buy premium priced small cars.

Let GM price the Cruze as they feel it should be priced. While the Cruze is a long way from the Mini, if the vehicle is appealing at the given price-point, it will sell. Let's hope GM can deliver this "Mini-Malibu" sooner than MY11.
But does this post say all or the majority of these are being sold in the US? I cant see too many struggling Americans paying $25K for a 4 cylinder to save on fuel. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
When the product has as much positive/cool image AND refinement/quality/style to back it up, this is what happens. It's not a soothing ride, but it's a fun little toss around and can be spec'd out--a HUGE help here--to your own personal tastes to the extreme.

The same car but from a domestic maker probably wouldn't do as overly well, as the BMW/Mini/foreign/Euro image also helps quite a big deal. It's just a cool car, basically.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
My father has a new Clubman. He's 6'0" like me. The dealership was humming, people all in to pick up their Minis fresh off the boat. It's a great little ride. My parents are re-discovering the enjoyment of a small, stick shift vehicle - and the long sunroof/moonroof combo thing and peppy engine make it all the more fun. My 2 1/2 year old daughter loves the acceleration, too. Something about it being so close to the ground makes it feel like a sports car.

Ah, but here comes Bob to spoil the party! ;)

" Europeans, at their fuel prices ($8.00/gallon as of this writing), are willing to pay premium prices for premium small cars that deliver terrific fuel economy. That is not the case here in America, land of the big truck and big horse" and, he added, " the big American."

“Not everyone is suddenly going to switch to very small cars, or tiny little pickup trucks, unless they suddenly decide to haul tiny little horse trailers carrying tiny little horses. ”

(...now stop hounding me about small cars and get over there and check out that new 8-passenger Enclave crossover and $40,000 Volt concept, you idiots...)

·
Registered
11 Posts
And to think GM may very well be looking at similar success, if only they open their freakin' eyes.

Such success may very well lie in Saab. Saab announced the next-gen 9-3 will be built on GMs Delta II small car platform. If I recall correctly, back in the 70's Saab did pretty well selling one model, the Saab 99 which became the 900. GM should scrap Saab's entire lineup -- no more SUVs or crossovers or large luxury cars -- and concentrate on making a Delta-based 9-3 a worthy, premium small car competitor to the Mini (as well as such cars as the Volvo C30, Golf and sure, why not, the WRX and Evo). GM can sell them alongside Buicks with Saab representing the premium small car part and Buick handling midsize and larger premium cars.

I should be running GM.

·
Premium Member
8,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
But does this post say all or the majority of these are being sold in the US? I cant see too many struggling Americans paying $25K for a 4 cylinder to save on fuel. Just a thought.
According to the email update, in June the U.S. was responsible for an estimated 24% of Mini's total sales. With options, the OTD price is probably close to $30K.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
I expect this to continue until Fiat can get the 500 here... then the Mini will have its milkshake drank.
I saw one of those here in Omaha last week. Yes, it was the new 500, not the original. Does Fiat sell them in Canada or Mexico? It looked cool.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Really. Especially when the MINI starts at about $17K......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
My father has a new Clubman. He's 6'0" like me. The dealership was humming, people all in to pick up their Minis fresh off the boat. It's a great little ride. My parents are re-discovering the enjoyment of a small, stick shift vehicle - and the long sunroof/moonroof combo thing and peppy engine make it all the more fun. My 2 1/2 year old daughter loves the acceleration, too. Something about it being so close to the ground makes it feel like a sports car.

Ah, but here comes Bob to spoil the party! ;)

" Europeans, at their fuel prices ($8.00/gallon as of this writing), are willing to pay premium prices for premium small cars that deliver terrific fuel economy. That is not the case here in America, land of the big truck and big horse" and, he added, " the big American."

“Not everyone is suddenly going to switch to very small cars, or tiny little pickup trucks, unless they suddenly decide to haul tiny little horse trailers carrying tiny little horses. ”

(...now stop hounding me about small cars and get over there and check out that new 8-passenger Enclave crossover and $40,000 Volt concept, you idiots...)

oil prices are falling and so will fuel prices once the libs lose the election. there 450 million vehicles in the USA that run on oil and they are not going away or going to be traded down in the next 10 years.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
According to the email update, in June the U.S. was responsible for an estimated 24% of Mini's total sales. With options, the OTD price is probably close to $30K.
Yes, options that include a 2nd MINI, maybe. :eek:

1 - 20 of 77 Posts